Quantcast

What Is The Story With "amber Malt Extract"?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

slash22000

Stereotypical Lupulin Addict
Reaction score
Recently I got a hold of a Coopers celebration ale six pack from the bottleshop and by Sagan it was glorious.

I realised that Coopers have a recipe for this magic potion on their website and they recommend "Thomas Coopers Amber Malt". I live in the middle of nowhere so I don't have access to any sort of malt aside from light dry malt. I can have Coopers cans shipped out but what I'm curious about is whether or not it's worth it?

According to the Coopers website, amber malt extract is "made from a blend of Pale and Crystal Malts".

Is there something special about amber malt extract that I couldn't replicate with some light dry malt and crystal grains (which I use anyway)? Is it something completely different? Does it replace the need to steep crystal grains? Do Coopers basically recommend using it to try and sell the cans? :huh:

Sorry if these are very obvious questions. I have everything I'd need to make this brew aside from the amber malt.

As a matter of fact, while I'm at it, maybe somebody has a better extract clone recipe they'd like to share?

Thanks again all!

Blitzer

Reaction score
mm

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt
500g Dextrose
25g Nelson Sauvin Hop Pellets
25g Centennial Hop Pellets
1 sachet of American Ale yeast or Coopers Commercial Ale yeast culture

I would do something about the Dextrose, sub it for something else? But what?

black_labb

Reaction score
Nothing special about it and you should make a better beer with crystal malt. I'm not sure how much crystal is in there, but I'd expect about 10-15% in the amber extract. I'd probably add about 300g of aussie crystal with the light malt extract.

wyane

Reaction score
Have recently done several kit + extract brews alternating between amber and pale malts for american style ales. Dry and goo varieties. LHBS stocks Briess which is great although imported (more authentically yank then i spose).

With your regulation locally available malts perhaps drop some of the dextrose and replace with brown sugar to darken it a little. Some steeped malt can also take the colour in the right direction, the spreadsheet can help your guestimates.

Blitzer

Reaction score
When you say Crystal malt is there a stock standard variety everyone uses? And how do you add it to your K&K?

black_labb

Reaction score
I mentioned aussie crystal reffering to joe white or BB crystal.

pcmfisher

Reaction score
mm

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt
500g Dextrose
25g Nelson Sauvin Hop Pellets
25g Centennial Hop Pellets
1 sachet of American Ale yeast or Coopers Commercial Ale yeast culture

I would do something about the Dextrose, sub it for something else? But what?
Why is that?

Latest posts