What is that taste?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good lookin' recipe that.

Any chance it was the only brew where you used re-cultured yeast? Or anything else you reckon was different from the other 5?

I don't think you can blame the tins of goop. I think it could be the yeast. I thought it might be too much dextrose or sugar but you don't seem to have added any.

I have made many kit and extract brews and I don't think I get much if any twang these days. I used to in the old days though. Maybe the spec grains cover it up or maybe it is the better yeast that I use these days.

It's amazing that this gets talked about so much but no one has actually done test brews to identify where this comes from.

I know we've talked about doing it in the GOLDClub so hopefully we'll get around to it one day.

carniebrew said:
Good lookin' recipe that.

Any chance it was the only brew where you used re-cultured yeast? Or anything else you reckon was different from the other 5?
It was the only one with cultured yeast so maybe the US-05 and what not isn't kit friendly? maybe it tends to bring out a bad quality in kits.....I use it pretty much always on AG and have never had a problem so who knows

carniebrew said:
Your mates who 'homebrew pure nectar of the gods'...are they doing kit brews? And when you say you used Coopers yeast, do you mean the stuff that came with the tin?

Did you ferment the beer under temperature control? What kind of temps?
Spot on carniebrew. Sounds like FWK with decent dry yeast.--- Coopers yeast needs to be recultured- not what comes with the kit.

Whatever the taste was, its gone a week later. Not ready yet and needs to more fizz but its turned out to be a relatively decent beer - a bit darker than I expected (old tin of Canadian Blonde?) and a bit bitter but a drinkable beer. Looking forward to trying it again in a few weeks.

Just wondering, does using liquid malt, or dry extract malt change/minimise the 'twang' effect? Or is it gonna happen from them either way?

I've used dry malt heaps on the past and it didn't make any difference to twang as far as I could tell (now that I know its called twang, I just used to call it homebrew taste.) I honestly think its a lot to do with old kits or pitching the yeast too warm. Since I've dropped my temps I don't get it anymore.

Pickaxe said:
Just wondering, does using liquid malt, or dry extract malt change/minimise the 'twang' effect? Or is it gonna happen from them either way?
I don't get it from either...but what I've read is that LME ages more poorly than DME, depending how it's stored. So old LME might taste funny more quickly than old DME.

I don't reckon you should let either get old.....

Latest posts

Back