What Is So Good About "floor" Malted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have seen a few posts lately that suggest that floor malted barley is better.
Why would this be? I imagine the product would be less consistent because it is not turned as thoroughly.
Is it because people like "Ye old worldy" thing?
I would love to hear any comments on why people like floor malted.
Personally, I doubt anyone can tell the difference between a beer made with floor malted malt.
cheers
Darren

Darren pulls up his shield as the "Malt Snobs" prepare to draw their bows. :blink:

Wait for it. :lol:

Warren -

hope this works

bobberwht.gif

And your ON!! Whoohooo!

Nah, honestly I don't know what the difference is. Probably because 1. it sounds good and MUST be better and 2. the poms still do it and if you want to make an ale like the poms you should use pommy malt-which will most likely be floor malted. It does make a good ale but hard to tell if that's the effect of floor malting or (and most likely) the fact that its a different type of barely.

Plus the little bits of dirt and crap that you pick up off the floor add a depth of flavour that's hard to replicate without floor malting :p

Cheers, JD

Darren,

Put it to you this way... I've made good and bad beers with both malts.

Warren -

You've got a nibble!

I must say I haven't been overly impressed with the floor-malted Maris Otter to this point (not that I've brewed with non-floor-malted MO). It's certainly very different to Aussie pale malts, and it is nice, but it hasn't really impressed me like it has others.

Anyway here's an old post by Wes Smith where he sort of answers the question, though it doesn't really explain how floor malting results in better flavour in the finished product.

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Digest/messages/.../msg00195.shtml

Is Powell's doing floor malting? If so, with which malts?

F$%kin ell!

Fight with a porcupine I'm guessing? No really, is that what happened or did the dog go barrelling into some spikey cactusy/thorny bush. I think porcupines can actually fire and detatch there spines can't they.

Jesus, I knew those dogs were dumb but that dog learnt a right lesson.

Answered my own question:
Important Facts Concerning Porcupine Quills:
1. Porcupines cannot throw their quills. They are only released when touched.

2. Quills will penetrate deeper into tissue by the barbs on the tip if not removed.

3. Local infection is common with quills that are not removed.

4. Dogs that have been quilled once may be more likely to attack a porcupine the next time they see one.

5. The sooner the quills are removed, the more superficial they will be.

6. Quill removal is painful and anesthesia should by used if not easily done.

Here's the rest of the email for the dog

Somewhere out there is a naked Porcupine.
Inca apparently did not know when to quit when she encountered the porcupine on Victoria Day, May 23rd.
These are the pictures the vet sent before the long (and expensive) procedure to remove the quills. She had thousands of quills, and her tongue was so covered, she could not close her mouth.
It was pretty scary at first. She is doing okay now, but looks like a World War III survivor as they had to cut some out in places, stitched between her toes, and many quills bled on removal.
here are still quills buried in her, but they should work their way out over time (I pulled four more today). She is on antibiotics and pain meds and thankfully is doing quite well.

Darren you are fast becoming as bad as me ! :lol:

When trolling or fishing for an argument. Who better to turn to than Homer Simpson.

Warren -

BTW With floor malted Marris Otter I always liked Fawcett's but was not so keen on Baird's.

View attachment simsg482b.wav

warrenlw63 said:
BTW With floor malted Marris Otter I always liked Fawcett's but was not so keen on Baird's.
[post="68139"][/post]​

I certainly agree with that statement Warren. My beers brewed with Fawcetts MO tasted so much more English than those brewed with Bairds MO.

One other difference I found between the two was I always had better clarity with Fawcetts MO.

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
One other difference I found between the two was I always had better clarity with Fawcetts MO.

C&B
TDA
[post="68140"][/post]​

Exactly. Shudder to think that Maltcraft are going back to importing Bairds and scrubbing Fawcetts.

What are they thinking? <_<

Warren -

I've also had clarity probs with Baird's Maris Otter, unlike other malts.

Shawn.

Awww... That's what happens when ya mash in a cardboard box. :p

Warren -

The box itself is fine, it's the dust that gets in the mash from living in the middle of the road that causes the problem ;)

Shawn.

edit: typo

You need a cylindrical cardboard tube, southern states style. :D

I tape a stop sign to myself to avoid the on-coming traffic. :lol:

Warren -

Darren said:
Hey all,
I have seen a few posts lately that suggest that floor malted barley is better.
Why would this be?
I don't know. Possibly just because floor maltings tend to be craft producers with the eye on quality rather than price, and aiming primarily at craft brewers rather than multinationals.

You (presumably) accept that a small, traditional, brewery can produce better beer than CUB, so why should it be a suprise that a small, traditional maltings can make better malt than Joe Whites?

I imagine the product would be less consistent because it is not turned as thoroughly.
Possibly, but consistency isn't everything, particularly in English beers.

Personally, I doubt anyone can tell the difference between a beer made with floor malted malt.
Probably not. We are talking, at most, modest differences in quality, not large differences in taste.

Nah, honestly I don't know what the difference is. Probably because 1. it sounds good and MUST be better and 2. the poms still do it and if you want to make an ale like the poms you should use pommy malt-which will most likely be floor malted.
Most English malt is not floor malted. Most of the floor maltings are relatively small concerns (Fawcetts excepted), and heaps of UK breweries use malt produced in modern maltings such as Bairds.

It does make a good ale but hard to tell if that's the effect of floor malting or (and most likely) the fact that its a different type of barely.
I haven't tried a heap of different varieties, but speaking to English commercial breweries they mostly like to stick to one variety for consistency. They generally don't have a view that any particular variety is better, with the exception of the small handful of breweries who insist on Maris Otter (or Golden Promise). Most of the brewers I've spoken to who have expressed a preference have been more wedded to using floor-malted barley than are wedded to a particular variety. Note that there seems to be a much larger range of malting barley used in the UK, and most of them are available from floor maltings as well as modern maltings.

You may not want to suggest that to the folks doing the BJCP exam tomorrow. I think they'll be figuring that will be part of the job description.

Shudder to think that Maltcraft are going back to importing Bairds and scrubbing Fawcetts.

Agreed. I was gutted when my last lot of MO wasn't Fawcett's.
Then again, I probably can't taste the difference. :D

Latest posts

Back