What Hops To Buy From Nz For Ipa'ish Beers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golani51

Reaction score
A friend is headed to New Zealand soon and can bring me back some goodies, namely whole hops.
Considering the price that Practicalfool paid for a kg of whole hops for, I'll probably grab two. What can you guys recommend? I am an IIPA sort of guy.

+1 for Motueka very nice made a cracking APA with a Morgans Blue Mountain kit. Nelson Sauvin is also a nice hop as long as you don't go overboard with it.

Rakau Hops..i use in a golden ale

Developed as a true dual purpose variety, it delivers soft bitterness through
low levels of Cohumulone less than 25 % of alpha acids. Late hop character
delivers tropical fruit aromas of passionfruit and peach

Ive had a whole bunch of luck using Motueka and Simcoe together.
Motueka and Nelson combined would be fairly badass IPA if used correctly.

A friend is headed to New Zealand soon and can bring me back some goodies, namely whole hops.
Considering the price that Practicalfool paid for a kg of whole hops for, I'll probably grab two. What can you guys recommend? I am an IIPA sort of guy.

Not sure how they will go in an IIPA, but I made a great Amber Ale using Wai-iti hops in late. Definitely worth a go....... great hop!

R, that cube I gave you before moving was made with kiwi motueka and cascade. Never had trouble with motueka, haven't tried the rest yet anyway.
Btw, better to call ahead and organise for the shop to get a cube of hops. Otherwise your mate would be lugging pellets I think.

Plus 7 million for Motueka. I recently used some in an IPA and it works a treat.

If it were me, I would also consider the non-NZ-bred cultivars as well.

R, that cube I gave you before moving was made with kiwi motueka and cascade. Never had trouble with motueka, haven't tried the rest yet anyway.
Btw, better to call ahead and organise for the shop to get a cube of hops. Otherwise your mate would be lugging pellets I think.

Send me the details for where you grabbed it PK.
You paid $35 for the kg of cascade didn't you?

Rakau Hops..i use in a golden ale
+1

I used this for the first time recently. I didn't quite hit them hard enough (they're pretty soft) but what is there is fairly lovely.

Is there a "bad" NZ hop?

i made a Southern Cross 13.8% Imperial IPA.......horrible, horrible hop.....great for bittering..nothing else :)

NOTHING ELSE!!!

hahahah all the rest are fantastic....bit of a risk of the NZ'DANK!

Back