What have you dropped into the Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManVsBeer

Reaction score
I have an old coleslaw container from Woolies that has ended up as my Hop Transferring Device (HTD). Whilst dry hopping tonight, the HTD fell out of my hand and fell upside down into the Krausen.

The HTD was sprayed with Starsan on the inside, but the outside..... I poured a home brew, relaxed and had a laugh.

Anyhow, what have you dropped into your fermenter and how did it turn out?

my sons hands, and I'm sure they'd been all over the floor the dog and cat and in his mouth, somehow the brew survived!!

A spoon or two which never bothered me. Somehow lost a tea towel in a batch once, don't ask me why I had a towel near it!
Never an infection thankfully :)

Skanky hands and tea towels :lol:.​ They say brewing beer is forgiving.

Half litre jar of honey, lid and all.
Thankfully I had the jar immersed in hot water to soften the honey prior.

I won't know for three months if the cider is going to be a turf or any good.

Black Devil Dog said:
Yep, written a few post-it notes and stuck them on fermenters as reminder to retrieve stir bar.
I've had big black marker writing all over a couple of fermenters which seem to be magnets for stir bars (no pun intended... or was there?).

Then I just use a rare earth magnet to fish it back out.

Otherwise I have dropped the yeast nutrient pack from a smackpack into the fermenter and upon seeing it, my mate who was there panicked and heroically fished it out with his hand. Nice fella... beer still turned out decent enough though.

Then there's the occasional cube o-ring and my HTD (stainless bowl).

There was one time I cut my hand on a kit tin when I was starting out and bled into the brew. I didn't serve it to anyone but myself, and remember it being pretty sub-par... along with most of my beers back then.

Not For Horses said:
A plate of biscuits and cheese. First and last time I used gladwrap on my big FVs.
******* genius mate. Brewing a beer with a cheese platter already in it. The hipsters will go nuts for it :)

Serve it in a jar on a cheese platter for full effect

I didn't drop it in as such but I came back from the pub to my chilled wort and started to drain to the fermenter when a sneaky little Nelson flower blocked my pickup. Being lazy and a little over-refreshed I promptly cleared it by - and please keep your mind out of the gutter - by blowing up the drain hose.

The flow resumed and I pitched ASAP. Guess what?! No infection!!

Another brewing whilst drinking adventure brought to you by 431.

It just occurred to me that I may have innoculated it with the coopers yeast from the pub.

H0U5ECAT said:
Half litre jar of honey, lid and all.
I won't know for three months if the cider is going to be a turf or any good.
GO!!!! The Cyser! Magnificent Pantie-dropper if ever there was one!

'Hope it works for you ('can't seeing it not doing-so) ;)

Back