What Happens When Pollux Gets Bored?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after tasting yours I think I need to plan one too - going to wait until all the kinks are ironed out of my system first - I'd hate to see all the hops needed for a big IPA go to waste.

Hahaha...like this mate...

3-50lt-fermenters.jpg

Ooooo...where'd you get those temperature probes?

Very interesting Pollux... What brought on such creativity?

Should be nice beer, you can always send me a bottle for a critique :chug:

If ya get bored and all again that is.

Creativity? i think not.....this is just throw everything in and see what happens..Theres no way all those different hops will work together...tettanger pepperyness, sauvin passionfruit etc......oh well

Funny thing is Nashmandu, everyone who has actually drunk it has enjoyed it..........

But of course, you would know best....

Funny thing is Nashmandu, everyone who has actually drunk it has enjoyed it..........

But of course, you would know best....

This is probably because homebrewers are obsessed with high gravity, hop loaded, in your face beers. And tend too overlook elegant, subtle beers that have complexity, balance and structure.

Ooooo...where'd you get those temperature probes?

They don't look like temp probes to me..

I'm pretty sure they are fish tank heaters used to keep the temp of his brews up. Nice idea to put them in from the side. I have one lid my fermenters with a fish tank heater through it but I cut the power plug off...put the cable through a rubber grommet and put a new plug on so the heater just hangs in the brew. Great for when it gets cold and you need to bring the temp up. Aslong as you clean it properly.

Pok

This is probably because homebrewers are obsessed with high gravity, hop loaded, in your face beers. And tend too overlook elegant, subtle beers that have complexity, balance and structure.
Why the negativity? Last time I checked there's more than one style of beer and they don't have to be subtle. If that's the type of beers he enjoys then I don't see why that should be a problem. Personally I like many varieties of beer and judge each on their own merit.

Well actually I got to try this beer of Pollux's and it was very very good and funny enough well balanced considering the amount and varieties of hops in there. Which in actual fact flies in the face of the hopping schedule on paper. I loved it, thoroughly enjoyable and thought it would be a beer that I could enjoy on a more regular basis. Do I like my hops? Well of course I do but like everything it can be over done but in this case it wasn't.

BTW it was very creative and just because you have some prejudices as to what hops should be used in a beer doesn't mean your necessarily right maybe you need to open your mind to other possibilities?

"This is probably because homebrewers are obsessed with high gravity, hop loaded, in your face beers. And tend too overlook elegant, subtle beers that have complexity, balance and structure." Wow that's a very general board brush approach to us homebrewers there Nash? Do YOU brew at all? ;)

Chappo

Well actually I got to try this beer of Pollux's and it was very very good and funny enough well balanced considering the amount and varieties of hops in there. Which in actual fact flies in the face of the hopping schedule on paper. I loved it, thoroughly enjoyable and thought it would be a beer that I could enjoy on a more regular basis. Do I like my hops? Well of course I do but like everything it can be over done but in this case it wasn't.

BTW it was very creative and just because you have some prejudices as to what hops should be used in a beer doesn't mean your necessarily right maybe you need to open your mind to other possibilities?

"This is probably because homebrewers are obsessed with high gravity, hop loaded, in your face beers. And tend too overlook elegant, subtle beers that have complexity, balance and structure." Wow that's a very general board brush approach to us homebrewers there Nash? Do YOU brew at all? ;)

Chappo

Not at home, no

What are these elegant, subtle beers that give you the right to rubbish other peoples brewing/drinking preferences?

Dude im not rubbishing anyones anything. I simply differ in my opinion on creativety and think the homebrew world is a tad obsessed with AIPA's massive stouts and hybrid beers. Thats not to say i dont enjoy these styles myself. I just think they are best enjoyed with a Altbier or dark larger or czech pilsener or ESB. Sometimes this site is just full of " how can i brew a brown ale belgian trappist AIPA hybrid!!!! ahhh

Nashmandu

Isn't that the point of making your own beer: making the beer you want to drink? Isn't that the exciting thing about making your own beer: making a beer you can imagine that isn't on the shelf at the bottle-o?

I reckon most of the guys doing these "out there??" beers generally are just doing something to use supplies up that are just hanging around or getting old... Ive just done the same to use a whole lot of hops up in a AIPA.. Is there anything wrong with that???

We are all drinking our own beers and generally dont have to please anyone else but ourselves.... Everyone experiments, even breweries...

:icon_cheers: CB

Making your own beer is like making love to a beautiful woman... sorry, curry. Some like the fiery heat of an Aachar Gosht, some like Subzi, Korma or Dansak or even Shashlik, and some get home from school, and type crap on internet forums...

<_<

Making your own beer is like making love to a beautiful woman... sorry, curry. Some like the fiery heat of an Aachar Gosht, some like Subzi, Korma or Dansak or even Shashlik, and some get home from school, and type crap on internet forums...

<_<

I would think that making love to a beautiful curry would be both a waste of curry and a nasty burny painful type experience.

But hey, each to their own :rolleyes:

Dude im not rubbishing anyones anything. I simply differ in my opinion on creativety and think the homebrew world is a tad obsessed with AIPA's massive stouts and hybrid beers. Thats not to say i dont enjoy these styles myself. I just think they are best enjoyed with a Altbier or dark larger or czech pilsener or ESB. Sometimes this site is just full of " how can i brew a brown ale belgian trappist AIPA hybrid!!!! ahhh

Nashmandu

Or boring twats like me that just brew pale and amber ales and the very occasional stout or porter.
So you best find some more refined folk to chat with eh, tally ho.

You guys make me laugh....

As others have said, I brew for myself, and I now know that what I like to drink is hop charged APAs/AIPA, I could try making a *insert other random style here*, but if I'm unlikely to drink it, or enjoy it if I do drink it, what's the point?

I actually made another hopburst today, not to clear stock but to fill bottles :D

Additions @ 30,25,20,15,10,5,0. Each one consisting of 10grams each of Cascade, Williamette, US Tettnang and Simcoe.........Can't wait to ferment this baby...

I agree with both sides. I've seen many brewers go into a massive hop head frenzy, then decide theyre over big hopped beers and start doing something else. I think it's a phase we all go through :)

Back