What Happens If You Drink Infected Beer!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got all the stuff from the LHBS so it must be okay together.

Famous last words indeed! :icon_cheers:
I wouldn't trust any advice given by my local.

Also +1'ing the whole terminology thing. When i read your initial post, i too thought that you'd thrown some pilsner grain into a pot and boiled it.

It's tricky getting your head around all the brewing language when you go to using grains. I was once a k&k brewer many many years ago, and i thought i had a good handle on what this homebrewing caper was all about. Then i found this bloody site and started reading. I still probably know **** all compared to a lot of brewers.

A picture of a bottle is also a good idea, so when you can get around to posting it, it will most likely help. 1inch certainly sounds scary to me.

Are the bottles glass? I remember having this problem b4 but when pored there was no more than usual. It just seemed to be like a wall off yeast clinging to the bottom. I would refrigerate for couple of days so it settles as much as possible then try or just chill over night.

Hey,

Just out of interest what are the effects of drinking an infected beer?

easterneuropeanskincondition7c.jpg

Are the bottles glass? I remember having this problem b4 but when pored there was no more than usual. It just seemed to be like a wall off yeast clinging to the bottom. I would refrigerate for couple of days so it settles as much as possible then try or just chill over night.

Yup glass bottles, ive left one in the fridge for the last 2 days so we'll see what she looks like tonight. Going to be a B@#TCH to clean all that settlement out!! Definitly rinising bottles after drinking. :blink:

no stress, they'll be easy to clean as long as you don't let the dregs dry out...pretty sure the smell will remind you to do such long before that happens though

half fill bottle with water, invert, shake like michael j fox, done!

Mmm... so what was this thread about again? someone dropped a toad in their fermenter?

Mate, fill out your details and let all know where you are. There will be local help for sure. ATM these guys are stirring you a bit but read what they say and read what info links they give you, its all out there and really, these are good blokes, warts and all. (hahhaha).

I was told by my LHBS, many years ago to boil grain. Only did it once and didnt brew for fifteen to twenty years because of it. The info on line now is fantastic. You just have to read it. Good luck and dont be discouraged by initial fails and problems.
Daz

The pils was precracked and I added to boiling water for 12-15 mins I think from memory? then dropped in the cascade hops bag which my lovely finace broke the hops bag when stirring crazy hard in with the wort. Lessons learned I tell yas!

Thats what I did! Soaked the grain strained and rinsed it and then boiled the water. But I didnt do any of that mashing stuff?
These 2 posts have confused me and are very contradicting.

I agree with jameson. Put a bottle or two in the fridge for a few days and see if it settles out more.
What was the final gravity of the brew? maybe it hadn't finished?

Cheers

Mate, fill out your details and let all know where you are. There will be local help for sure. ATM these guys are stirring you a bit but read what they say and read what info links they give you, its all out there and really, these are good blokes, warts and all. (hahhaha).

I was told by my LHBS, many years ago to boil grain. Only did it once and didnt brew for fifteen to twenty years because of it. The info on line now is fantastic. You just have to read it. Good luck and dont be discouraged by initial fails and problems.
Daz

Not discouraged at all mate. I like to test the wrong things first to get it right <_< Dosen't help that I don't have too many details on the problem either. Just heading out for 1hr then ill post some pics up and see what it tastes like. Love this forum great place to cram me some knowledge n have a laugh.

Any chance you deliberately stirred up the batch before bottling?

These 2 posts have confused me and are very contradicting.

yeah sorry about that. didn't really type what i meant.. I put the grain in with 2 parts cold and 1 part boiling water (which i heard is close to 68?) for the appropriate time. cant remember the brought that in a pot to the boil for the right time so it should be all good in theory. then dropped in the hops bag and added that with a 1kg booster pack (malt/dex mix) and a canadian blonde kit with US-05 yeast pitched from memory at around 18? beers rested for about 3-4 weeks and I poped one in the fridge for 2 days now so it should be nice and settled.

Any chance you deliberately stirred up the batch before bottling?

nope. the end did blow off the end of my little bottler since i didn't push it on right. At the most that would only effect the beers that over poured.

Hey,

Just out of interest what are the effects of drinking an infected beer? Is the taste really that obvious? Im sure mines fine since I sterilised the HELL out of everything first. I've got my latest batch thats been resting for 3-4 weeks and I noticed its very cloudy and about an inch of sediement per bottle. My last batches have been straight coopers kits and have been pretty clear but this batch I added hops (which broke out of the bag and probably didnt help..) and steeped pilsner grain. Just curious have super cloudy beers even been okay and tasty? Bit hestitate to try before my wedding incase I get a stomach infection or herpes from these beers.... <_<

Cheers,

Luke

OK.

Keep it simple and start again so we can help you properly.

Outline your exact ingredients and amounts/volumes first. Include yeast strain, amount and date if you can. Did you add yeast dry or soak in water first? If you soaked in water, did you measure the temperature of the water?

Then add your exact step by step mashing/brewing method.

Then outline your fermentation regime (temperature, time etc)

Clear, easy to follow, numbered steps.

I reckon this problem, if it is a problem, will be easy to nut out if you do so and you will learn from it either way.

Give us all the details, in a logical, sequential order from go to stop.

yeah sorry about that. didn't really type what i meant.. I put the grain in with 2 parts cold and 1 part boiling water (which i heard is close to 68?) for the appropriate time. cant remember the brought that in a pot to the boil for the right time so it should be all good in theory.

Still sounds like your boiling the grains to me....

agree with manticle..

you need to restart the troubleshooting by giving us detailed info on your process. What went where, for how long, if it was removed, temps etc...

too much contradicting info already.

Okay Okay. I officially out douched myself.. The beer came out great, perfect almost (compared to kit that is) Awesome body, kinda fruity and it has a killer bitterness after taste though and crazy head. Now im going to shoot myself for A) freaking out and ranting on a forum and B) not writing down the process!! I think Ill just hide now and read some more posts before ever commenting again. Sorry for the waste of time and knowledge all, just need to keep practicing I guess. Anyone here live in Brisvegas?

O god think I found the problem, this was an old post in my article from Manitcle:

Is it pilsner or carapils grain?

Pilsner grain needs to be mashed, not steeped.

The process you undertake is almost identical and if you can keep it at 65 (or between 60 and 70) for 30-60 minutes, it won't matter BUT

Inside some grains there are starches that yeast can't eat. These need to be mashed, whereby the cracked grain is held at a certain temperature in solution to activate enzymes which will convert the starch to sugars (including maltose). The temperature range here is very important.

Inside other grains like crystal malts or chocolate malts, the enzymatic conversion has already taken place due to the malting process and any available sugar as well as colour and flavour can be accessed by soaking the cracked grain in water. This water can be of any temperature. Hot is good because it's quicker (like a cup of tea) and if you aim for 60-70, it is good practice for mashing but you will get what you need with water that's 10 degrees, 20 degrees or 70 degrees.

Any steeped or mashed liquor needs to be boiled as grain contains various bacteria, including lactobacillus which can infect your beer and make it taste sour.

--------------------

Would the bitter after taste be the sour taste from not mashing it?? LHBS said nothing about mashing it. said to just put it in 65 degree water strain out the grain and boil the liquid for 1/2 hour. Still tastes kinda good though. Confused?

IMG_49531280x853.jpg

IMG_49541280x853.jpg

IMG_49561280x853.jpg

IMG_49591280x853.jpg

What was the final gravity of the brew? maybe it hadn't finished?

[/quote]

This seems quite likely to me, from the confusing mix of processes nowhere have you metioned how long it brewed for, what OG you started
with and what your FG was.

Also agree with Manticle, sit down and write out a detailed process list, assuming it will be difficult as it seems you have no records of what you did.

EDIT: above post put up while typing this one. looks like beer to me, carry on..

Back