What happens if I boil too long?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckilner

Reaction score
On the brew I'm on now, I over estimated the boil off volume so I've ended up with too much volume and therefore a lower gravity. The bittering hops went after 30 mins and I put the irish moss in too (10 mins before the end if I'd stuck with a 90 min boil) but have not yet added the aroma hops. I need to boil off another two litres so I reckon maybe another hour. So in total the boil will be 150 mins instead of 90.
Will this do any harm?

You'll get extra bitterness, you're effectively turning your 30 min into a 90 min, you may need to add in your 30 min addition again... and then some..

You'll get a bit of extra color too, I quite like an extended boil for this..

Yob said:
You'll get extra bitterness, you're effectively turning your 30 min into a 90 min, you may need to add in your 30 min addition again... and then some..

You'll get a bit of extra color too, I quite like an extended boil for this..
I think you misread Yob. Looks like it's his 60min addition he's worried about and if you turn 60min into 120min it will make little difference.

Yob said:
My color comment remains valid :)
Yep, this was definitely valid so I didn't say anything ;)

I was also going to say kudos on being 30min into the boil stage this early in the day but looks like Ckilner is in the UK.

I have read that bittering hops can change character if boiled for much more than 120. I think it's in the barley wine book in the classic beer styles series. Will check but either way 90 mins will be fine.

Woops - just saw yours will be 150. Is that 150 with hops in?

So if you put your bittering addition in at 60 mins, you can boil for two hours and the bitterness will be roughly the same as if it were just a 60 min boil?

There is a finite amount of alpha acid available to be isomerised. You will get an increase between 60 and 90 but it's minor - much less significant than the difference between 60 and 30 for example.

If you boil too long, I believe you can degrade those bittering acids - as I mentioned, I'll try and remember to check that reference when I'm home and see if I can find other info that backs it up.

TheCarbinator said:
You were brewing at 5:30 am?
Super keen!
I believe he is in the UK - so it's 8.30pm yesterday over there.

(my complusive urge to google things made me do the time conversion....I just cant help it, its and addiction. Google is God, and knows everything)

Latest posts

Back