What happened to Wide Eyed And Legless?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I see that cream ale recipe? Polenta?

Cream-Ale.jpg

This batch was 0.5kg of corn grits and 1kg of instant polenta from the supermarket (make sure you cook it first) I cooked the corn grits as per normal and they converted for me.

Have previously used non instant polenta (which I did a full cereal mash with) last time I brewed this I used ale malt and munich malt as thats what I had on hand
Can also use cheap corn flakes

Next time I make it ill probably just use the flaked maize I have a 25kg bag of

Any noble hop works, and you could also use an american hop if you want to be more to style

Because I didn't get the conversion from the polenta due to not cooking it I ended up boiling it for an extra hour but still managed to get 25L and only 4-5 points off, etc

Also ended up using Kolsch yeast as I realized I was out of us-05 (more now ordered)

I was dialing in some system changes and redoing my mill setup (changing to one fluted and one knurled roller) so still dialing in gap

Note I got the polenta really cheap, Aldi cornflakes work out to be more per kg then buying a 25kg bag of flaked maize (I use corn in a few things) Woolworths currently has no homebrand in stock anywhere, haven't checked Coles.

$3.598 per kg for a 25kg bag at retail
$3.85 per kg for Woolworths cornflakes (700g for 2.7)
$4 per kg for Coles cornflakes (475g for 1.9)
$6.5 per kg for instant polenta (I paid $2 per kg at the time)

Last edited:
View attachment 122067

This batch was 0.5kg of corn grits and 1kg of instant polenta from the supermarket (make sure you cook it first) I cooked the corn grits as per normal and they converted for me.

Have previously used non instant polenta (which I did a full cereal mash with) last time I brewed this I used ale malt and munich malt as thats what I had on hand

Any noble hop works, and you could also use an american hop if you want to be more to style

Because I didn't get the conversion from the polenta due to not cooking it I ended up boiling it for an extra hour but still managed to get 25L and only 4-5 points off, etc

Also ended up using Kolsch yeast as I realized I was out of us-05 (more now ordered)

I was dialing in some system changes and redoing my mill setup (changing to one fluted and one knurled roller) so still dialing in gap
[/QUOT

Would that amount of corn possibility result in a stuck sparge reason I ask is I'm doing a oat stout soon only 10% of bill but should I worry or no?

View attachment 122067

Seems interesting was it smooth

Would that amount of corn possibility result in a stuck sparge reason I ask is I'm doing a oat stout soon only 10% of bill but should I worry or no?

I didn't have an issue either time, ive got a 50L cheeky peak nano with there good false bottom. Have mashed 7.5kg of corn before without a stuck sparge (1.9kg wheat 2kg malt) I did use some rice hulls for this however as safety

Depends on the system, I also recirculate without issue. I do run a coarser crush however and from memory this was a 25L mash water volume

I liked it, and it got good feedback from the last case swap I went too

Aw I miss you too.

If you took the time to see who started the Keg King/Keg Land bullshit go back to its origin on the thread Keg Land.com.au whata you got thread. Easy to shoot crows on a fence when they can't reply back.

Still alive and kicking, as for politics, we can't all be on the winning side, wouldn't be a democracy otherwise.;)

I remember you putting up an offensive joke a few years ago. The one about a dog having sex with a woman. The woman taking the dog to the vets to have its nails clipped. Probably still there in the jokes section. How offensive is that with a woman administrator?

I agree with you Reg. I would love to see this forum rise from the ashes. It can with the right leadership. The members are the important ones not the advertisers, get a healthy forum with members being able to discuss products without getting posts deleted.
Hey WEAL would you mind if I PM you!

When using a significant amount of adjunct its always a good idea to boil it before mashing it.
Flaked ingredients are supposed to be gelatinised during manufacture; this might be true for brewing ingredients but probably isn’t for supermarket adjuncts. One other factor to consider is that the features we want in brewing ingredients are often the exact opposite of what we want in baking/cooking/breakfast products. Both may be very good at what they are intended for and crap at other applications.

If you are going to boil your adjunct it’s pretty standard practice to add 10% of the weight of adjunct as milled malt (i.e. to 1kg of adjunct add 100g of malt).
Mix the adjunct and malt with around 3-5 times its own mass of cold water
Heat slowly to mashing temperatures (60-70oC) allow to rest for 10 minutes or so then heat to a boil.
I put my adjunct in a pasta pot with a stainless mesh spacer under it, set stove to low; it heats at less than 0.5oC/minute so there is no need to rest at mash temps.
By starting cool and heating slowly enough you will go through all the activity ranges for all the enzymes, including a bunch that don’t normally get to play.
This is from a brewing text book
Gelatinisation temperatures.JPG

Mark

Aw I miss you too.

If you took the time to see who started the Keg King/Keg Land bullshit go back to its origin on the thread Keg Land.com.au whata you got thread. Easy to shoot crows on a fence when they can't reply back.

Still alive and kicking, as for politics, we can't all be on the winning side, wouldn't be a democracy otherwise.;)

I remember you putting up an offensive joke a few years ago. The one about a dog having sex with a woman. The woman taking the dog to the vets to have its nails clipped. Probably still there in the jokes section. How offensive is that with a woman administrator?

I agree with you Reg. I would love to see this forum rise from the ashes. It can with the right leadership. The members are the important ones not the advertisers, get a healthy forum with members being able to discuss products without getting posts deleted.
So WEAL are you staying or just passing through?

I remember WEAL before I went away, and Ducati boy Stu, where is he? It was entertaining when those two went head to head.😅

I come from the “over the bridge” of Grain and Grape customer, going back quite a few years now - and I recall the early iterations of Keg King coming from some kind of cleaning products company morphing into a home brewshop/design/importer. There were always rumours of discontent and nastiness surrounding Keg King and certainly the old thread wars here 3 years ago brought that all out into the open. Indeed, Keg King has been a bit of an industry pariah ever since and that has been shown in the way they conduct themselves - they have been known to get quite nasty even to loyal customers who dare utter the words Keg Land within earshot of those few still loyal to Keg King.

Over in the west, the war between KK and KL is somewhat amusing to watch from afar, and the dirty wars continue, only now coming to a bit of a conclusion. As back in 2018 as some commented, we may only have “one big K” left soon and it doesn’t take too much to figure out which is going to go on growing and which is going to either downsize or close…. it’s as simple as who has a warehouse of unwanted brewing systems and who cannot keep up with demand / who has by far the bigger cut of social media exposure…. and who is relying on “dictatorships” to keep their product mentions going.

What are the “dirty wars” and what has some of members of forums and groups out there all upset? Well the KK/KL wars are spilling onto the streets - it started about 2 months ago with back chatter of customers, especially of Keg Land, being “attacked” by Keg King employees on forums and social media to the extent they had posts deleted or membership cancelled for no apparent reason. It’s only in the past few days hanging around here and noticing some “famous faces” has it caused a few of us to discuss what on earth is going on - and then I heard a few stories and proof of what really is going on.

Now I don’t mind some corporate argy-bargy, some friendly fire and smaller home-brew shops grumbling back in 2018 of having to adjust to the realities of “$100 co2 bottles and $50 refills…. “ but what if things get really, really nasty? How does one “trap a corporate troller” in 2022 with their pants down?

Enter the (often called by even current followers) dictatorship of Home Brewing Australia (no - not AHB!) Yes sure, they allow the occasional KL puff piece by some of the big social media identities out there but if you look closer at many posts there seems to be an odd number of KK regulators, spunders, Apollos….. and members with “Keg King” in their names. As they say about birds… a group of us started to think is this a Keg King hive, a brew industry Borg???

For the non-trekkies - Borg - Wikipedia

But how to draw them out? Easy - Keg King bait. KK have had a hard time recently with some not too successful product - plastic disposable kegs, spunds that clog easily with Kveik, and of course the “switch” from Guten to Grainfather (ouch!). Self caused problems nothing of Keg Lands fault (ok, the Generation 4 Brewzilla killed Guten). A few innocent posts here and there and out they come…. led by no other than the current Keg King Operations Manager aka look up his name on LinkedIn (and from what we saw, abetted by several Keg King retail staff). The pile on was fast - we suspect Keg King uses some kind of media monitor system to alert them of any mention of their product. In a week we saw 5 members “killed off” in that manner under the help of HBA’s mods - which we suspect are part of the hive.

The accusation every time? These killed off members were Kegland staff; hell one was accused of being Kee himself! Analysing the posts there was no evidence of a direct attack on Keg King product, just a normal observation a typical home brewer would make. However we did notice 3 of the members were members of other ‘books and posters that evidently were KL customers (one of them was a regular KK customer too though - figure that out)?

This is a very sad state of affairs and goes to show Keg King staff are openly attacking home brewers out there! And there are forums and ‘books out there taking sides.

We’ve kept the proof (in some instances the mods could not delete the evidence fast enough, but we caught it) - might make a nice story for a newspaper or ACA…. ar least one of those IT blogs that goes after corporate bullies. Of course Facebook is investigating, advising our IT expert that ‘book is under investigation regardless (there was a heap of discontent a few weeks ago spinning around).

I wonder what Aran B. thinks? Can’t be good for sales 🫢

Attachments

• one day kk and kl might be friends.jpg
    one day kk and kl might be friends.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I come from the “over the bridge” of Grain and Grape customer, going back quite a few years now - and I recall the early iterations of Keg King coming from some kind of cleaning products company morphing into a home brewshop/design/importer. There were always rumours of discontent and nastiness surrounding Keg King and certainly the old thread wars here 3 years ago brought that all out into the open. Indeed, Keg King has been a bit of an industry pariah ever since and that has been shown in the way they conduct themselves - they have been known to get quite nasty even to loyal customers who dare utter the words Keg Land within earshot of those few still loyal to Keg King.

Over in the west, the war between KK and KL is somewhat amusing to watch from afar, and the dirty wars continue, only now coming to a bit of a conclusion. As back in 2018 as some commented, we may only have “one big K” left soon and it doesn’t take too much to figure out which is going to go on growing and which is going to either downsize or close…. it’s as simple as who has a warehouse of unwanted brewing systems and who cannot keep up with demand / who has by far the bigger cut of social media exposure…. and who is relying on “dictatorships” to keep their product mentions going.

What are the “dirty wars” and what has some of members of forums and groups out there all upset? Well the KK/KL wars are spilling onto the streets - it started about 2 months ago with back chatter of customers, especially of Keg Land, being “attacked” by Keg King employees on forums and social media to the extent they had posts deleted or membership cancelled for no apparent reason. It’s only in the past few days hanging around here and noticing some “famous faces” has it caused a few of us to discuss what on earth is going on - and then I heard a few stories and proof of what really is going on.

Now I don’t mind some corporate argy-bargy, some friendly fire and smaller home-brew shops grumbling back in 2018 of having to adjust to the realities of “$100 co2 bottles and $50 refills…. “ but what if things get really, really nasty? How does one “trap a corporate troller” in 2022 with their pants down?

Enter the (often called by even current followers) dictatorship of Home Brewing Australia (no - not AHB!) Yes sure, they allow the occasional KL puff piece by some of the big social media identities out there but if you look closer at many posts there seems to be an odd number of KK regulators, spunders, Apollos….. and members with “Keg King” in their names. As they say about birds… a group of us started to think is this a Keg King hive, a brew industry Borg???

For the non-trekkies - Borg - Wikipedia

But how to draw them out? Easy - Keg King bait. KK have had a hard time recently with some not too successful product - plastic disposable kegs, spunds that clog easily with Kveik, and of course the “switch” from Guten to Grainfather (ouch!). Self caused problems nothing of Keg Lands fault (ok, the Generation 4 Brewzilla killed Guten). A few innocent posts here and there and out they come…. led by no other than the current Keg King Operations Manager aka look up his name on LinkedIn (and from what we saw, abetted by several Keg King retail staff). The pile on was fast - we suspect Keg King uses some kind of media monitor system to alert them of any mention of their product. In a week we saw 5 members “killed off” in that manner under the help of HBA’s mods - which we suspect are part of the hive.

The accusation every time? These killed off members were Kegland staff; hell one was accused of being Kee himself! Analysing the posts there was no evidence of a direct attack on Keg King product, just a normal observation a typical home brewer would make. However we did notice 3 of the members were members of other ‘books and posters that evidently were KL customers (one of them was a regular KK customer too though - figure that out)?

This is a very sad state of affairs and goes to show Keg King staff are openly attacking home brewers out there! And there are forums and ‘books out there taking sides.

We’ve kept the proof (in some instances the mods could not delete the evidence fast enough, but we caught it) - might make a nice story for a newspaper or ACA…. ar least one of those IT blogs that goes after corporate bullies. Of course Facebook is investigating, advising our IT expert that ‘book is under investigation regardless (there was a heap of discontent a few weeks ago spinning around).

I wonder what Aran B. thinks? Can’t be good for sales 🫢
Well thanks for that, sorry, not what I came on this forum for. I certainly won't be back.

The other forum was always going to be a failure because there wasn't the characters on there to liven it up. That forum is capable of sending a glass eye to sleep, now this one is following suit.

You can only 'liven things up' within the boundaries of what other users as well as the mods deem acceptable. And that threshold seems to be narrowing by the moment.
You cant lay the entirety of the blame squarely at the feet of mods or admin - the members get the forum they deserve, and to a major degree, set the code for what fly's behavior wise.

Banter, sometimes controversial and rowdy plays a huge role, always has. Show me any member who didn't have a hearty gut laugh, even guiltily, at the notorious 'Clock' thread for example. Would that fly today? Not a ******* chance would be my guess.

Back