What happened to Grolsch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wessmith

Reaction score
I dont often have a winge, but today in a reflective/studious/dumb moment I decided to buy some Grolsch. I well remember the enticing aroma that filtered up from the freshly uncapped bottle. Hallertau I think they used for aroma. Images of Sunday lunches at Doyles and other harbourside venues came to mind. Fish and chips with a great accompnament in a swing top bottle. Bugger the Chardonay!

But what a dissapointment. I am not talking about the local BUL - this was the genuine swingtop from the land of dykes and windmills. No enticing aroma but some DMS that flashed off pretty quick, no malt and I am sure iso hop bittering. Eh? What is going on. Wish I could find some grey import stock to try because I am sure this "brewed in Holland" beer has been modded for Aussie tastes. Cant believe they export this same brew internationally.

Or am I just getting old and cranky.

Wes

I bought the 1.5lt bottle over Xmas and it was great, I've had none since.

Yeh, you would be pretty safe with the 1.5L. No way would they do a "special" for CUB/Aus in that size. Might see if spuds have still got it - just to prove a point.
Wes

Probably aged badly, what was the best before? Where did you get it from, some of our smaller bottlos up here really don't give a shit about how they store the beer.

Yep I've had some dodgy ones, always when I've just brought a 4 pack, light struck Im guessing, have had no issues when purchased by the carton.

I'm guessing the 1.5lt Grolsch were walking out the door for Xmas presents, hence fresh and yummy.

Yeah, I had a tap version here in Adelaide, locally brewed I'd say not as good as the original by a long shot but at least fresh and thirst quenching since it was still over 40C at 8.00pm at night. Definitely not a night for stouts that's for sure, lagers were the go.

-=Steve=-

AndrewQLD said:
Probably aged badly, what was the best before? Where did you get it from, some of our smaller bottlos up here really don't give a shit about how they store the beer.
BBD was 9/10/13 and from the back of the cooler at the local BWS

Wes

I'd say light strike.
When I was first introduced to what light struck beer smells like, my initial comment was "smells like Grolsch".
Seems to be the plight of the imported green bottle lager into this country

Back