What Glass For An American Beer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I picked up a goon of Punk IPA today. I know its made by a Scottish brewery but its an American IPA through and through!.

I was thinking..... what glass am i going to drink this from, as i am a firm believer that the glass has a big effect on the craft beer experience.

I have a fair range of glassware, and was a bit torn. I have thought about this before but not really had a good think about it. I usually put an APA or AIPA of what ever type into a pint glass as it has a wider mouth for sniffing. I cant bring myself to put American beer in a Belgian goblet style glass...... because that would be...... well...... i cant do it!

I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on the subject......... is there a proper glass shape or style that should be used for a hoppy, bitter American beer?

for the Punk IPA, I went with a Scottish Thistle glass, cause its a bit out there like Brew Dog, its Scottish, and its got a wide top for sniffing!

hoppy31728x1152.jpg

I own a smallish selection of glasses. AIPA/APA's always end up in my LC Pint Glass, is really the classic US style. (not my pic)

LCB_glass.jpg

Funny thing is I always seem to finish the glass at the same time I would a schooner..........big glass/big beer/big gulps!

Love Punk IPA never knew you could get it in goons somebody must have it on draught wow long way to travel.

I use my Liquorland freebie Guinness glass from the St Patrick's day promotion to catch the aroma.

A snifter often works well, as do a lot of different types of wine glasses or even a Guiness type tulip pint glass - (I am drink a Pliny the Elder clone out of one as I type, although it has Old Rasputin on it).

I can't think of a worse glass to drink american IPA's out of than american pint glasses, they are really shit for drinking good beer out of. They are only good for drinking water.

The problem with this post is that I refuse to read anything that has been slovenly written (lower case I, ), despite the fact that at first glance it could be interesting. No capitalisation, apostrophes ...

Maybe I'm just too old. Or perhaps too much Friday night gemutlichkeit.

pretty sure that the gordon's scotch glass is actually belgium isnt it ?? weird i know but pretty sure it is ....

http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/info_1_BE00601.html

i bought one with the brewery's thistle ale from a shop in york (uk) and the label said brewed in belgium.... some thing to do with the maker of schwepps or some thing, being scottish but living in belgium and this was some sort of tribute to his good life/work

i thunk a jar would suit anything usa :p

I picked up a goon of Punk IPA today. I know its made by a Scottish brewery but its an American IPA through and through!.

I was thinking..... what glass am i going to drink this from, as i am a firm believer that the glass has a big effect on the craft beer experience.

I have a fair range of glassware, and was a bit torn. I have thought about this before but not really had a good think about it. I usually put an APA or AIPA of what ever type into a pint glass as it has a wider mouth for sniffing. I cant bring myself to put American beer in a Belgian goblet style glass...... because that would be...... well...... i cant do it!

I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on the subject......... is there a proper glass shape or style that should be used for a hoppy, bitter American beer?

for the Punk IPA, I went with a Scottish Thistle glass, cause its a bit out there like Brew Dog, its Scottish, and its got a wide top for sniffing!

hoppy31728x1152.jpg

Pint Glass Man, helps to get it in-ta-ya as quick as possible, just kidding, although a yank did say to me not that long ago "the quicker its in the quicker you feel it". I think a beer with such a strong reliance on the nose requires a vessel that gives it the best possible chance to promote that nose. Pint Glass Man.

pretty sure that the gordon's scotch glass is actually belgium isnt it ?? weird i know but pretty sure it is ....

I always imagined it would be bigger.

Bwahaha, I see what you did there.

Funny thing is I always seem to finish the glass at the same time I would a schooner..........big glass/big beer/big gulps!

If they are true US pints, then they would be close to a Schooner (US pint: 470ml; Schooner: 425ml; UK/Imperial pint: 568ml) Anyway, I just love the way beer looks in a conical or Boston "pint" glass, no matter the actual volumetric measure. In fact I might be taking my housemates stolen conical pot glass with me when I move... B)

i bought one with the brewery's thistle ale from a shop in york (uk) and the label said brewed in belgium.... some thing to do with the maker of schwepps or some thing, being scottish but living in belgium and this was some sort of tribute to his good life/work

i thunk a jar would suit anything usa

You know..... you may well be correct....... never thought of it!

And the Jam jar sounds good :p

Pint Glass Man, helps to get it in-ta-ya as quick as possible, just kidding, although a yank did say to me not that long ago "the quicker its in the quicker you feel it". I think a beer with such a strong reliance on the nose requires a vessel that gives it the best possible chance to promote that nose. Pint Glass Man.

Pint glass it is....... will have to invest in some more good pints i think. I feel funny drinking APA from a London Pride pint glass :p

i thunk a jar would suit anything usa

You know..... you may well be correct....... never thought of it!

And the Jam jar sounds good :p

Pint glass it is....... will have to invest in some more good pints i think. I feel funny drinking APA from a London Pride pint glass :p

Further thought on the appropriate glass discussion.....

90% of the time I use my 'go to' glass, a cheapish Myer Pilsener glass (S&P brand), elongated V-shaped tall glass, holds 1/2 a longie (I bottle).

BUT

My wheats go in a Speigel pinched waist glass

Anything BIG goes in a Spiegel brandy balloon style beer glass

And when people want to taste a few I pour into some 1970's wine show tasters my Dad gave me (think a white wine glass with a very short stem)

Either way

The glass definitely adds something, particularly for guests who don't usually drink HB. Try serving beer in a shitty small water glass and you see the effect the vessel has.

Stew

PS. I also have the obligatory Hoffebrau 1L stein that only gets a run on Fathers Day!

Back