what gas regulator to buy for burner?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symphony1975

Reaction score
hey

i have a 3 ring burner which has what I think is a standard BBQ regulator on it attached to a gas bottle and I want to soup my burner up a bit to get my pot boiling quicker.

my current reg has printed on it... 2.3 kPa max inlet pressure 1750kPa

what do I need to look for in a new reg (kPa) and where can anyone suggest I buy it? I have looked in my local hardware store and online but no luck and am no sure what to specifically look for. I am in eastern suburbs melbourne

cheers

Grain and Grape have Med pressure reg
I use with Italian spiral burner to boil 100lt
Tried it on 3 ring much better than a BBQ reg
Works better with Spiral burner though

And beerbelly and craftbrewer

Works great with my Italian spiral too :)

image.jpg

I have a grain and grape med pressure reg on a 3 ring burner and it boils 30l of wort no worries

Hi fellow gas-brewers.

I'm in the same situation as OP. Also, my 3-ring burner is putting black soot over my pots, which I think means I'm not getting enough gas pressure. It's a real pain to clean and everything ends up black at the end of brew day.

I'm just wondering if there's any safety issues with using a different regulator on the 3-ring burner?

Cheers.

I had the same problems with sooting, but kept the regulator and upgraded to a spiral burner. It's more gas efficient and way more powerful even using the low pressure reg.

Just my 2c anyway.

I use a 4-ringb burner (3 rings on only) for a 98l kettle with a medium reg.
At 80l full i can get a non-sooting vicious boil at about 2/3 open.

Medium reg will destroy it.

However my italian spiral burner spits out soot and shoots out one side only. Need to fix it up as its second hand...

Thanks felten & adryargument.

No one's answered my question though: is there a safety issue ramping up the regulator on a 3-ring burner?

Cheers,

I dont believe so… better bloody not be, been using it for 2 years, that is, medium pressure reg on a 3 ring

Muscovy said:
Anybody shipped one of these over?
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Adjustible-Regulator-Assembely/dp/B007PS0938/ref=pd_sim_lg_2

wondering whether they will plug straight into any Aussie gas bottle.
Apologies for the ignorance, I'm not great with thread sizes...
Wouldn't that be for propane?

Don't know if it makes a difference, but we're all LPG in Aus. Not even sure if it would have the correct threading direction, as Aust standard gas threads are all left-handed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine from Beerbelly.

Turned my 3 ring into an inferno.

Phillo said:
Got mine from Beerbelly.

Turned my 3 ring into an inferno.
I also got one from beerbelly to go with my spiral burner. On full power, it almost sets the roof on fire. (Note I do not use it at full power, only open the reg up a touch).

Back