what gadgets do you guys need when you do home brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkbird

AHB Sponsor
AHB Sponsor
Pro - Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,except temperature controllers,what gadgets do you guys need when you do brewing?inkbird are open to any recommendation:)
Any pictures or links are helpful.

A couple of things i wouldn't mind, a nice mid range priced (i.e. $50) laser thermometer, ones i have seen are either expensive (at least for me) work tools or cheap chinese ones from Aliexpress which there is no guarantee to be accurate.

Or something like your Wireless meat thermometer but with fully waterproof wireless sensors so i can take note of actual liquid temperatures at the core of the vessel.

A couple of things i wouldn't mind, a nice mid range priced (i.e. $50) laser thermometer, ones i have seen are either expensive (at least for me) work tools or cheap chinese ones from Aliexpress which there is no guarantee to be accurate.

Or something like your Wireless meat thermometer but with fully waterproof wireless sensors so i can take note of actual liquid temperatures at the core of the vessel.
thank you for your advice.But temp sensor with waterproof probe could work as waterproof wireless sensors
Bluetooth Temp & Humidity Data Logger thermometer Aquarium Probe for Salt water | eBay

I'd like to see a good accurate set of scales (down to 0.1g) with a built in timer
And a bluetooth pH meter like the Hanna Halo

I'd like to see a good accurate set of scales (down to 0.1g) with a built in timer

May i ask why you would need a timer on a set of scales? not being snarky or anything.

I have a set of woolies specials and they have a very annoying auto off function, i don't know how many times it has turned off on me while pouring grain into a bucket. I suppose thats what i get for using a $15 set of scales.

thank you for your advice.But temp sensor with waterproof probe could work as waterproof wireless sensors
Bluetooth Temp & Humidity Data Logger thermometer Aquarium Probe for Salt water | eBay

Not really what i had in mind, sensors that i can put into my Robobrew and sparge kettle so i can keep a eye on temperatures in the middle of the vessel.

They would need to be able to withstand boiling wort.

Mostly for dialling in shot times when making espresso (I've fallen down the espresso nerdery rabbit hole)

Ah fair enough... i have fallen down that hole before then i realised i am not a big fan of barista coffee, its too bitter for my linking.

Having gone from a coffee snob working in the CBD to drinking Aldi coffee at home, I've realised I like a flat white with medium roast.

I was going with double ristrettos and the like which were nice and all, but its almost like the stronger the coffee I drank the stronger I wanted it!

Not sure from your site if this has similar/same features as Smartpid.

• "Simple GUI" - I have to look up instructions everytime I try to reset my ITC 308. these and PID type setting can be very confusing.
  • "Programmable Step Mashing" whilst my ITC can do steps it does not take into account ramp time. so you have to take a guess a the ramping and set another stage to approximate how long it will take to get from one temp to the next before the next timer starts.
  • "Control Mash Tun and HLT" - not sure how the Smartpid does it but it boasts that it can control both. So one device that can set the HLT to warm strike/sparge water at the same time it is managing the mash temp.
  • "Wifi/Bluetooth connectivity" - the ability to adjust the temps from an easy to use app on the phone is very attractive (goes with the point above about simple GUI)
  • "Integration with Brewfather" - The idea of being able to somehow link with the Brewfather app recipe and transfer the temp settings and stages directly from that would be amazing
  • "Delayed Start" - the ability to set the dive to switch on and heat up HLT ahead of time so strike water is ready when yo want it
Those are just some of the features of Smartpid that I am aware of that I reckon would be great. If there is an existing Inkbird product that does these it would be great. If not, and these are features you could build into a future product at the great Inkbird prices I think it would be popular with homebrewers

The pic below is form the Smartpid page to give you an idea of its features

Capture.JPG

I would like to have multiple fermenting heat belt/cooling functions running off a single temp control system.
So 2+ fermenters with their own probes and heat belts etc. But only one single place to set the temp.

Ah fair enough... i have fallen down that hole before then i realised i am not a big fan of barista coffee, its too bitter for my linking.
Yeah, I'm not drinking much cafe coffee lately
I'm just finishing up building my own coffee roaster so I can do my own lighter fruitier blends

Yeah, I'm not drinking much cafe coffee lately
I'm just finishing up building my own coffee roaster so I can do my own lighter fruitier blends

I never got that far down, all i had was a crappy Kogan all in one coffee machine my sisters husband got from kerbside recycling. It wasn't a bad machine just needed a little tlc.

How much of an anti coffee snob i am, i prefer a cup of instant coffee over barista or pod coffee.

A 10A/240V/AU plug version of the IPS-16S.

I think it would be pretty popular if it was $150 - $200. I'd happily upgrade my project box containing an ITC/SSR.

Not sure from your site if this has similar/same features as Smartpid.

• "Simple GUI" - I have to look up instructions everytime I try to reset my ITC 308. these and PID type setting can be very confusing.
  • "Programmable Step Mashing" whilst my ITC can do steps it does not take into account ramp time. so you have to take a guess a the ramping and set another stage to approximate how long it will take to get from one temp to the next before the next timer starts.
  • "Control Mash Tun and HLT" - not sure how the Smartpid does it but it boasts that it can control both. So one device that can set the HLT to warm strike/sparge water at the same time it is managing the mash temp.
  • "Wifi/Bluetooth connectivity" - the ability to adjust the temps from an easy to use app on the phone is very attractive (goes with the point above about simple GUI)
  • "Integration with Brewfather" - The idea of being able to somehow link with the Brewfather app recipe and transfer the temp settings and stages directly from that would be amazing
  • "Delayed Start" - the ability to set the dive to switch on and heat up HLT ahead of time so strike water is ready when yo want it
Those are just some of the features of Smartpid that I am aware of that I reckon would be great. If there is an existing Inkbird product that does these it would be great. If not, and these are features you could build into a future product at the great Inkbird prices I think it would be popular with homebrewers

The pic below is form the Smartpid page to give you an idea of its features

View attachment 119476
That's a huge project lol.I sent your advice to our technical team.Hopefully that inkbird product could come out in the near future

Latest posts

Back