what fermenters to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperplace

Reaction score
for the last 20 yrs or so I've used 50L SS kegs with the tops cut out as fermenters, but they are heavy, and my back hurts. I'm looking for a light-weight fermenter. I'm thinking Fermentasaurus, which would also save me some racking (if I understand correctly).
What do people think of these? Are there any better options?
thanks

Keep things simple including lifting, Fermentasaurus, easy to move, best decision I ever made, can't imagine why any one would want something larger.

You still looking at 50l or thinking of going smaller? The Fermentasaurus seem popular but I'm always worried about scratching when cleaning etc.
The 30l kegmenters are a decent option as lighter full or empty.
I just use cornie keg fermenters now though as I have plenty of them and I can get a fair few in the ferment fridge.

If I understand correctly, SS conical fermenters (but I've never used one) often have a racking port above the lowest point, so the rubbish at the bottom can be bypassed. Fermentasaurus lacks this. Is this a problem?

If I understand correctly, SS conical fermenters (but I've never used one) often have a racking port above the lowest point, so the rubbish at the bottom can be bypassed. Fermentasaurus lacks this. Is this a problem?
Fermentasaurus collects the brew under pressure from the top, because it has a float - so it doesn't need a "racking port" as such.

and should I get a fermentasaurus 2?
Last I heard they still hadn't decided on a dia for the fermentasaurus 2.
Saw the new CIP system in action yesterday for the Series 1 Fermentasaurus at Keg King, looks very effective. They may have put a video up on their face book page, not on face book so not sure.

Back