What Does Your Wort Smell Like

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish13

Reaction score
I am doing my first AG tonight and the missus has commented that it smells like chocolate cake...

Has anyone got some weird reactions to the smell of there wort boiling away??

I've got Milo before, it doesn't seem like my misses minds the smell of wort...it's the hops that do it for her.

Im an extract brewer and when making a brew, my wife doesnt mind the malty smells, but cant stand the smell of hops regardless of whether or not they are boiling.
Her loss.

I only did one boil in the house before being banished to my shed (I'm quite happy out there)

Missus walked in and exclaimed "what is that shit?"

I don't think she meant literally, just a figure of speech.

At least I hope my wort doesn't smell like shit
:D

One of the advantages of 10 minute APAs. The wort smells amazing for 50 minutes. Then the hops go in. Then the heat is turned off.

People who don't know brewing love the smell of malt (even better, give them a spoonfull - yum) ... it's long stewing hops they hate.

I get mixed reactions in my house. Usually this one: "Smells like beer" (gee, well done).
My 4 year old says wort smells like honey, yet she thinks my hops smell like honey.

My wife hates all the smells of the process. I have divorce papers.

BTW, best of luck with the 1st AG, Fish. :beer: Post up some pics later, mate.

Rotten eggs... Lager fermentation

lol!

jyo those hops smelt very fruity!! i was loving it beats the smell of fresh baldchin groper..

Hops smell awesome straight out of the pack, but my missus reckons they smell like chemicals and that malt smells like vegemite. I don't know what's wrong with her haha

My 2yo says that malt smells yummy and beer smells yucky

I thought my first boil smelt like a big cup of tea.... My family didn't agree

napalm, i love the smell of napalm in the morning ...

or is that just the gas burner ...

Back