What does ESB mean to you?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is something that's been bugging me for a long time. Either different people use the term "ESB" to mean different things, or I've got my wires crossed.

I always thought ESB stood for extra special bitter. Now, I know this is a term popularised by Fuller's, but I assumed it sort of spread to mean any English extra special / strong bitter. However, others seem to use ESB to mean 'English special bitter'. Is there an accepted definition of the term ESB? If not, what are people's thoughts on what the term means?

Wow, in that case, I need some more ESB in my local vicinity. :p

manticle said:
Should have written 'extra specially if they think it's 'English'
Admittedly I've had a few, but I'm not following. Please explain. :huh:

I'm not aware of any historical precedent for anyone calling it anything other than extra strong or extra special.

People who call it english suck (balls) as Cartman would say.

long way round but my vote goes with extra special not english special.

manticle said:
I'm not aware of any historical precedent for anyone calling it anything other than extra strong or extra special.

People who call it english suck (balls) as Cartman would say.

long way round but my vote goes with extra special not english special.
Good to hear, as that was my sentiment. I always assumed the yanks used it to mean 'English special bitter' because they didn't ever grasp the concept of bitter. I got the impression they didn't really get the phrase "A pint of best, please.".

Yeah, Extra Special Bitters if you look at your Beersmith it will bring enlightenment.

nathan_madness said:
Yeah, Extra Special Bitters if you look at your Beersmith it will bring enlightenment.
Pfft. BeerSmith. I've been rocking (and updating) my heavily modified verison of IanH's spreadsheet for so long now I can't Imagine any commercial software is any better. Also the money thing. It sucks being a broke student. :p

Good to see one more vote for my view of what it means, though.

Maybe I should give an example of a source of confusion for me. Here's a quote from the 'Whats in the glass' thread. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/19438-whats-in-the-glass/page-303

Special/Best/Premium Bitter - I've said it before, The Highlands is just magic this time of year. With an ESB in one hand and a chicken on the rotissaire, beautiful afternoon weather, where else would I rather be? Rhetorical question... :)
I love the pommie ales this time of year. Malty, deep copper, hint of hop spice, low carbonation, far too morish...
Clearly talking about a special/best/premiium bitter but then refers to it as ESB.

Not referred to specifically as English though. A stronger special or best might converge with ESB - it's all very vague. Ordinary and pale mild can be the same beer. Also could be a typo or mistake of reference in that thread - after all, beer was involved.

Any place where ESB is referred to specifically as english special bitter?

Verysupple, yes I probably made an error technically. The beer you quoted me on was a special bitter, not an extra special bitter. There's about 1% alcohol difference. For the record E for extra, but yes mostly or historically these were made in England. Check out category 14 in bjcp. English pale ales.

Traditionally in the UK there were three "bands" of bitter,
ordinary bitter that was less than 4% ABV
Best Bitter that came in around 4.3%
Special strong bitters such as Fullers ESB, Courage Directors Bitter, Greene King Abbott Ale etc that were 5% or more.

ESB to me means the third category, not that I had ever heard the term till I started home brewing and hanging around forums.

I agree about the Yanks just not getting UK bitters. To me they were always malty hop accented beers, not with the "bitter" character stressed by the BJCP. In some areas the BJCP does indeed sux dogs bollox.

manticle said:
Not referred to specifically as English though. A stronger special or best might converge with ESB - it's all very vague. Ordinary and pale mild can be the same beer. Also could be a typo or mistake of reference in that thread - after all, beer was involved.

Any place where ESB is referred to specifically as english special bitter?
Yep as mentioned above, although I have my reservations about some of the BJCP style descriptions and categories it really is the best and most systematic beer categorisation available, so ordinary > special/best > extra is a really sensible way to view English Pale Ale.
Mark
ESB.JPG
BJCP

Latest posts

Back