what does (°P): 11.0 mean ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
Just looking at recipes worked out with brewmate and some come up with a line like such :-

Original Gravity (OG): 1.039 (°P): 9.8......... What does the (°P): 9.8 part of the line mean??/

Al

Plato - It's another measurement of gravity

A chap named Fritz Plato decided that if you have a solution with 10% sugar by weight then it will be called 10 degrees Plato.

He also coined the term "on the fritz" when he stuck his willy in the brown pump and blew the brewery's fuse.

So actually as far as I'm concerned it actually means Jack Shit? Thanks for the info
cheers
Al

Nick JD said:
A chap named Fritz Plato decided that if you have a solution with 10% sugar by weight then it will be called 10 degrees Plato.

He also coined the term "on the fritz" when he stuck his willy in the brown pump and blew the brewery's fuse.
was the brewer male or female??

hellbent said:
So actually as far as I'm concerned it actually means Jack Shit? Thanks for the info
cheers
Al
no. Its a valid unit of measurement sone people use. What u choose to use is up to you. If you want more info theres enough on google to keep u busy for a while.

hellbent said:
cheers
Al
No, it is a regular unit of measurement at (probably most) breweries. Your attitude serves to portray you in nought but the most luminous light my friend.

Nick JD said:

I thought that was coined at the Maytag washing machine factory when a washer acted as though under the influence of alcohol, much like patrons of the other family business.

If you are interested in Czech Beers they are usually described on the Plato scale - I think 12 means full strength.

Latest posts

Back