What do you think happed to this ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birusuki

Reaction score
Just getting back into home brew again after 2 years away. not that I knew what I was doing back then anyway.
I brewed this ale, stored it in a cupboard I dont use. During winter I dont bother putting my beers in the fridge as it is
so cold over here. I just move them to the back room which has big glass windows. the snow does the rest.
Anyway this brew would erupt into a volcano of foaming head, with every bottle I opened. I assumed they had some nasties in there.
left them in the cupboard never got round to chucking them. Now I am brewing again I want the bottles so starting tipping them out.
Same thing foam froth everywhere. Then I picked up one that was bottled in a pet bottle. it was soft no gas what so ever. Looking at the lids
they were kind of out of shape, so I started thinking , maybe they were over primed or FG was not reached.
Put one in my fridge which I had not done before with this brew. spring here now. Plus it is set really low as I am freezing bottles
of water. much colder than I normally drink beer, would make a difference? Thought I see if I could get half a glass out of it. No explosion of froth. Did get a heady beer and got a head
iside the bottle. I took the plunge on 2 year ale I though was spoilt. It was good, good to go. had one last night, still breathing today. just had another.

Over gassed?

beer (1 of 3).jpg

beer (2 of 3).jpg

beer (3 of 3).jpg

Gas comes out of solution more readily when it's warmer.

As for why it's gushing - could be a number of reasons - probably unfinished fermentation.

Yep reckon its overcarbonation, most likely from incomplete fermentation or overpriming.

Colder beer will absorb/hold more co2, so less foaming in this situation than warm beer.

I had a batch of golden ale recently that I believe got a bacterial infection somewhere along the line. It had certainly finished fermenting but they're gassy. Taste fine though.

almost impossible to tell without know the whole fermentation and recipe.
could be any number of factors from not quite finished to an infection.

Yeah, I wish I still had the recipe. My brew book from two years ago has gone missing, I know it is some kind of ale.
I`m guessing FG was reached, I kind of remember one of my brews stalled and I bottled it.
Tell you what though it sure retains it`s head. wont be tipping the rest out.

@mr. b. didn't know t hat about colder beer.
Turned a disappointment into a good experience.
And I still have most of it.

Back