What Do You Reckon?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Dunkelwheatie

How do you think this will go?
Eff-84%
Total for 1.0 batch:45L

6.28 kg Dark Wheat Malt
2.2 kg Vienna Malt
0.7 kg Carawheat
0.3 kg German CaraAroma
0.4 kg Carared
0.29 kg Chocolate Wheat Malt
saphir 40min to 14ibu's

Rice gulls as needed.

OG-1.054
FG-1.012

Yeast WB-06

Total malts 10.17 kg.
Cara malts 1.4 kg.

That's almost 14% of Cara malts, which seems high to my taste.

There are better yeasts for this style than WB06.

Warra, I brewed the Weyermann red brick wheat recipe out of the "Wheat" book by Stan Heronmoyus which has 16% crystal malts in it with a vienna base malt so thats where I got that idea from because I absolutely loved that beer. Red brick wheat was also fermented with WB-06 and turned out so clovey with some banana that I wanted to try it again.

A lot of the recipes in the weyermann almanac have surprisingly high levels of crystal, and the ones I've made gave turned out well.
I think if you mash well and particularly ferment well (healthy pitch, oxygen, temp control) you can "get away" with all sorts of things that are against the conventional forum think.

Ged

I have made a few Dunkel's using carawheat and chocolate wheat only. They turn out very nice but tend to be on the dryer side of the scale with both malts having very little sweetness.

I think the carared will be fine to add a touch of sweetness and character if its a richer beer you are after. If anything you could drop the caraaroma, but once again...... its not going to hurt in these small amounts. I think the ballance looks good.

Carared - sweet
carawheat - dry toasty coco-pop character
caraaroma - deep rich slightly burnt caramel
choc wheat - dry roasted coffee and chocolate

funny how i don't think these amounts are big either as i usually brew 54 liter batches.

I have made a few Dunkel's using carawheat and chocolate wheat only. They turn out very nice but tend to be on the dryer side of the scale with both malts having very little sweetness.

I think the carared will be fine to add a touch of sweetness and character if its a richer beer you are after. If anything you could drop the caraaroma, but once again...... its not going to hurt in these small amounts. I think the ballance looks good.

Carared - sweet
carawheat - dry toasty coco-pop character
caraaroma - deep rich slightly burnt caramel
choc wheat - dry roasted coffee and chocolate

funny how i don't think these amounts are big either as i usually brew 54 liter batches.
I absolutely loved your Dunkel Tony! Used 3068 in it and it was one of the best beers iv'e ever made or tried. I had a house warming and the 2 x corny kegs were gone in a matter of 2 hours.
Thats where I got the idea to use the dark wheat as a base. I may back off the caraaroma slightly but I do love it so ill have a think. I really want to see how the caraaroma goes with that amount of choc wheat but I hope it all balances out. I'll make it and tweak from there.
Thanks for all the good info dudes!

A lot of the recipes in the weyermann almanac have surprisingly high levels of crystal, and the ones I've made gave turned out well.
I think if you mash well and particularly ferment well (healthy pitch, oxygen, temp control) you can "get away" with all sorts of things that are against the conventional forum think.

Ged

Do you have that almanac? I wanted to get it but it costs a fortune! I was looking at that red brick wheat beer recipe a while after I had finished the beer and couldn't believe how much crystal is in it. Didn't taste sweet at all but was beautifully balanced and quiet dry'ish. I pitched 3 packs of WB-06 in 50L and had a 5 step mash schedule and it was just a really lovely beer. One of those that was so good it just pop's in your head every now and the and you think damn I want to brew that again.

Do you have that almanac? I wanted to get it but it costs a fortune! I was looking at that red brick wheat beer recipe a while after I had finished the beer and couldn't believe how much crystal is in it. Didn't taste sweet at all but was beautifully balanced and quiet dry'ish. I pitched 3 packs of WB-06 in 50L and had a 5 step mash schedule and it was just a really lovely beer. One of those that was so good it just pop's in your head every now and the and you think damn I want to brew that again.

With the strong $A it cost me a bit over $100. It's provided me with hours of wistful dreamy reading and given kea few good tips along the way, so I think it's pretty good value.
Ged

:icon_offtopic:

You'll have to ask Tony....

A long LONG time ago..... in an AHB far far away, I pressed the G key instead of the H key

never lived it down!

I used to get PM's saying "Thanks for that...... I went to the HBS and asked for Rice Gulls thinking that's what they were called and got laughed at"

hehe :drinks:

Terned out ok in the end Tony?

The Wey guy at the lecture says that a lot of the lighter caras can be used in fairly high proportions.

Terned out ok in the end Tony?

The Wey guy at the lecture says that a lot of the lighter caras can be used in fairly high proportions.
<_<

Dont know mate...... im not brewing it.

But yes... a lot of the lighter cara malts can be used in large quantities.

I used 8% Abbey malt in my Saison taday and the specs say use up to 50%

Probably brew this after the upcoming Alt. Although the beer pump arrives in a few days so I was going to do a Landlord or bitters or something. Ahh so many beers so little time!

I've been reading the Continental Pilsner and the Helles books, recipes in those both have Carapils and/or 20L crystals at up to 20% and rarely less than 10%. I've always been reluctant to use much, if any crystal in these but I'm going to give it a try next time I brew one.

Dont know mate...... im not brewing it.

But yes... a lot of the lighter cara malts can be used in large quantities.

I used 8% Abbey malt in my Saison taday and the specs say use up to 50%

I drank a 100% abbey malt beer and it was delicious. I plan on a 50/50 pils abbey Belgian style. Think it'll be a good dubbel.

I drank a 100% abbey malt beer and it was delicious. I plan on a 50/50 pils abbey Belgian style. Think it'll be a good dubbel.
Got me keen to try this malt now. Sounds interesting.

From CB

Product Characteristics:
High degree of modification of both proteins and starches. Excellent friability. Low β-
glucan values. Highly acidic. Highly malt-aromatic. Adds deep-amber to red-brown colour,
maltiness, body, and mouthfeel to finished beer. Promotes flavour stability.

Back