What Could This Be?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macr

Reaction score
I have a extract pils that I have just racked and moved into lagering stage, but when I opened the lid this stuff was floating on the top. It appears slimey. There seems to be no off smell, so I was wondering if it is just hops. Any ideas?
whats_this_aswell.jpg
whats_this.jpg

Looks to me like whats left of the krausen. I had the exact same looking stuff floating on top of a lager i made a few months ago. Nothing to worry about IMO.

Looks to me like whats left of the krausen. I had the exact same looking stuff floating on top of a lager i made a few months ago. Nothing to worry about IMO.
Thanx Hopsta. Twas a bit worried. A laagering we shall go.

Wow!
A top cropping lager.
:D

What yeast was it and what was your fermentation schedule and temps?

Wow!
A top cropping lager.
:D

What yeast was it and what was your fermentation schedule and temps?

I think i was using S-23 and it may have got a bit warmer that i would've liked, didnt have my mashmaster temp controller at the time.

You've never seen those floaties on top of a lager voosher? I shouldnt call it a full Krausen but its deffinately yeast.

It certainly looks like krausen and/or yeast; not unlike what I've had with top cropping ale yeasts.
I haven't done enough lagers to see the whole range of "interesting" results.

I'd have to agree with your assessment though Hopsta. Nothing to worry about... unless your tastebuds tell you otherwise. :beer:

As you can see in my sig, this brew was using W34/70 and this is my first lager style of beer. I didn't have my mashmaster started but temps were 10~12*C through out the fermentation stage. Mashmaster now running and laagering at 1*C

Back