What Can I Make With Potatoes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spud gun is easily the best idea in this thread.

Any of you guys ever shot one off at night? Piss funny.

Spud gun is easily the best idea in this thread.

Any of you guys ever shot one off at night? Piss funny.

Hell YES!!!! Hair spray or rexona works best. Thhuwooomp with a massive blue flame. Still have mine in the shed (made from HDPE pressure pipe) gets a dust off every so often... Firing potatoes or onions thru a chook wire fence is a cracker :lol: :lol: :lol: Instant slice and dice!

Cheers

Chappo

(Can't help it it's my destructive nature)

Edit add picture

Huge_spud_gun-724029.jpg

Aerostart - MUUUUUUCH better

Can't agree Sully...
Direct comparison one day when rained off the job with the Apprentices :ph34r: (in order of preference worst to best)
Gas from Gas gun
Aerostart
WD40
Hairspray - :icon_cheers:
Rexona - :beerbang:

Chappo (Don't ask why we had hairspray on the job site ok)

SPUD GUN! SPUD GUN! There is nothing, but NOTHING FUNNER!

Several years ago a mate of mine proudly showed me the one he made. He lived at Kirribilli at the time, so we took it down to the harbour and fired spuds at ferries. Never hit one but we got awfully close.... Aah, good times. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, mind ponders vigorously.
I have completed the Sheperds Pie and that didn't use 20 KG of spuds.
Going with the manticle roast potato idea for lunch tomorrow with some "Pappy's Sauce for Sissie's".
Have some random lengths of pipe down the back, just replaced the ignitor on the BBQ and have a spare....too tempting.
Small country town...probably not a good time to go back to childhood...or jail.

The spud cannon looks pretty rad. Is the bit in the middle the gas reservoir or is it just for stability or something?

Our tests showed no name hairspray to work the best.

The spud cannon looks pretty rad. Is the bit in the middle the gas reservoir or is it just for stability or something?

Our tests showed no name hairspray to work the best.

It is the Gas Reservoir.
What about using the bottle that fires the NASA burner - readily available gas.
This has got me thinking......copper.
I would be a bit afraid of the PVC exploding (only rated to 150 - 280 PSI).
Gas Reservoir could be made from multiple "anti-hammer" chambers avail at any plumbing supplies.
I LOVE making stuff so this could be a fun little project.
I'll sleep on this.

It's funny, posted this topic to see what alcohol I could make from potatoes and I end up with multiple votes on a spud gun :beerbang:

What about using the bottle that fires the NASA burner - readily available gas.

Seconded, we tried every propellant you could think of back in the day, and lpg was just awesome! Just don't give it too much, also....for nighttime fun, try jamming one of those glowsticks from a camping shop into the potato..gives a good green streak through the night air

Seconded, we tried every propellant you could think of back in the day, and lpg was just awesome! Just don't give it too much, also....for nighttime fun, try jamming one of those glowsticks from a camping shop into the potato..gives a good green streak through the night air

PMSFL....Glowstick Galore.

Can picture it now.

One of my friends here has a farm so this IS on the project books for this week...

I am having hassleback potatoes with orange and garlic glaze....baking right now.

YUMMMM!

Keep them for food.

Option two: Place whole (unpeeled) in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil, remove immediately from boil and allow to sit in water until water is cool. Remove and dry. Cut into quarters or sixths, place in moderate oven with whole unpeeled garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, sea salt and black pepper until golden brown. Cool to room temp.

Fry off some bacon strips with dash olive oil, 1 clove garlic (chopped), some washed chopped sage and plenty of black pepper (no salt). Make sure bacon is crispy (can place in oven or grill after frying until it starts to salivate/foam). Put aside on absorbent paper.

Take two egg yolks, a teaspoon of seeded mustard, a teaspoon of white wine vinegar, a sprinkle of sea salt and some black pepper. Place in a stainless steel bowl and whisk briskly to combine ingredients. Now take some olive oil and while whisking furiously with one hand, add the olive oil in a very slow steady stream until the mixture starts to emulsify and thicken. Keep whisking and adding oil until mayonnaisse is as thick as you like and tastes like a balance (not too eggy, not too oily, not too vinegary).

Combine ingredients for the best potato salad in the world. Rough chopped continental parsley does not go astray as well.

Dill is even better

yeastie. you wont get much love on the distillation front

from AHB T&C
Specifically Posts/Topics will be removed (at the discretion of the administrators/moderators) if:
They discuss illegal material (such as spirit distilling)

Option 1: Slice them into quarters or sixths and put them in a large pot with a knob of unsalted butter, a clove or two of garlic, thyme sprigs, sea salt and black pepper. Cook them in the butter at a very slow heat (lowest you can) for a couple of hours until golden brown and fluffy. (unpeeled)
Made them tonight, very tasty - thanks.
Stuck like all #)(%* to the bottom of the pan, so I'm glad I don't need to wash it. :)

yeastie. you wont get much love on the distillation front

from AHB T&C
Specifically Posts/Topics will be removed (at the discretion of the administrators/moderators) if:
They discuss illegal material (such as spirit distilling)

I was specifically targeting this at a potato beer I saw here a while ago.
I have received a PM with the recipe i was hoping for regarding it.
I was not in search for any distilling ideas, these are readily available to anyone on the internet, hence, the reason I posted them on this forum to gain information as above.
I do understand and respect AHB T&C.
Thank you.

Thanks to all the recipe ideas too guys, I will undoubtedly try them out in due course.

Back