What can I do with this lot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

le0n

Reaction score
I've some how ended up with a few 1.5 KG cans of Light Malt
Extract.
22 OZ of Nugget Leaves Hops 14.7 AA
2 OZ of Czech Saaz Pellet
Hops 3.3 AA
Couple of Safale US-05 & Safale US-04 yeasts.
What can I
do with it?

I'm thinking I could do a Toucan brew and add some of the
Nugget Hops to a boil & all the Czech Hops & to make it interesting
about 500 mg of liquid Glucose.

I suppose my question is how much of the
Nugget to use?

Cheers
Leon...

dunno mate, I wouldnt go that blend.. nugget more suited to IPA or Imperials whereas SAAZ is a much more subtle sort of hop (think pilsners etc with more of a subtle note) that will get lost in Nugget. I go through a bit of nugget but still have a bunch of SAAZ from a year ago.

if anyone wants it for postage price, let me know..

I did a toucan brew using the two cans of LME & did a 60 minute boil adding an once Nugget Hops at 60, 30, 10 minutes & a dry hop of 7 days.

Was worried it could be a dumper but worked out to be a beer to die for. Most likely something like an IPA.

Sorry to throw it OT, but since you're here yob - what's nugget like? Another hop with a difficult set of descriptors.

I'm getting citrus, a little marmalade and the like as descriptors, but citrus is the "lazy person's" descriptor for anything from Citra, to Cascade, Centennial and a litany of other hops.

What do you get with Nugget?

Goomba

I mainly have used it early, but I got a bit of earthy spice when used late.. not unpleasant but just not what I'd usually go for in an AIPA style, possibly suited to more of a MO base and english yeast..

I call it a great back up hop (through the dry times we use what we can get yeah?) loved it as bittering and +30 mins.. but we all know there are far superior late addition hops, nugget will never take that role away from them. IMO

:icon_cheers:

Sweet, excellent. I've been looking for a backup hop.

Courtesy of a Brissie bulk buy, I started using Chinook at 30-60 minutes as mainly bittering, minor flavour hop and found that when chucked in with the usual suspects (the fruitsalad hops like Citra, Galaxy and the like), that I got a real extra dimension (in Chinook's case, spice, wood, pine) that made the beer shine, whilst moving it away from the softdrink style it could sometimes become.

Sounds like this will be the new Chinook for my APA/AIPA.

I'm due to make an English Ale, which has some nice Willamette written all over it.

Goomba

I didnt get that resiny feel like I do from chinook but you know.. brew with what you have and a bit of knowledge and you cant go too far off course :icon_cheers:

Thanks mate. You've been more help than google. New Chinook was a bit far - I mean more for a back up hop.

Actually I had been wanting to put the resin into a altbier or something of that nature before we moved. I reckon it would have worked too.

Worst case scenario, it'll go into a barleywine, when stocks are up and running again.

Back