What Can For A Wheat Beer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunday Brewer

Reaction score
Did a Goldrush Pale Rider Wheat Beer and am very impressed with it - added a little honey along the way. I am only a beginner at 5 brews. I want to do another Wheat kit - primarily as I like the taste and don't need to cellar it over months for the flavour to increase. Any suggestions ? I have not reached partial mash status yet so kit variety's will suffice. Cheers ! Sunday Brewer

600g dried wheat malt extract, 400g pale, dissolve in 2L cold water, bring to a simmer, drop in some Tettnang finishing hops, simmer 5 minutes, put lid on pan of wort, add wheat kit to fermenter then strain the hot wort into fermenter, keeping back the hop 'teabag'

Pitch at 12C, ferment no warmer than 18C

Jovial Monk

Mr S Brewer,

Have you got yourself a liquid yeast culture for your wheat beer yet?

This is where you will get most of your flavour. Trust me, this is where I started to find true-flavoured German-style wheat beers.

I started with the same kit as you, back in 1995. It is the first entry in my brew journal. Prob made some Coopers Real Ale b4 that, but not recorded. I was quite happy with it at the time, I recall.

I tested a whole lot of wheat beer kits, and some were just ordinary. I quite liked the Muntons wheat beer kit, and it's even better with a liquid yeast.

I had a Wyeast #3056 Bavarian Wheat culture and never looked back, especially since I earned competition prizes with it, quite early in the brewing career.

I have not brewed with 3056 for some time, and prefer the allegedly more finicky Wyeast Weihenstephan wheat #3068.

Unles you prefer the more bland American wheat style which these kits produce with the standard yeast, splash out some money for a liquid culture. In Whitelabs, I believe that WLP300 is a comparable product. There are others which are suitable too.

For an American style wheat, I have used an American ale yeast with success. This might work well with kits, but I had moved on to extract by the time I specifically made this style of beer.

I have no affiliation with any yeast company, although I am willing to listen to offers. :p

I also have no financial interest in any home brew supplier, but U might find it worthwhile to invest in some gear for an extract brew setup. I find a Weizen made with Saaz hops and Muntons DME and wheat DME to be very easy to make and drink.

I hope that you find at least some of this info to be helpful.

Cheers
Uncle Sethule :beer:

Ummmmm, misread the question!

I suggest trying the new Coopers wheat beer kit, failing that the Morgan's.

Both will have a yeast suitablel for wheat beers, Coopers used to use Manchester, not sure what is with the new wheat kit.

Liquid yeasts as Seth says will really improve the quality of your beers.

JM

Sunday Brewer

Whereabouts are you? If in SA, I can give you a can of Malt Shovel Summer Wheat Beer.

Cheers
Pedro

For a simple good wheat beer, I use esb bavarian wheat 3kg
You dont need to add anything else besides the tin and
supplied yeast sachet. And perhaps a liquid yeast culture as the
others suggest could help, but i havent found it necessary.

stu_454 said:
For a simple good wheat beer, I use esb bavarian wheat 3kg
You dont need to add anything else besides the tin and
supplied yeast sachet. And perhaps a liquid yeast culture as the
others suggest could help, but i havent found it necessary.
[post="54158"][/post]​

I rate this beer as being too bitter. not sure if that's rated due to being out-of-style or just much for my personal taste, and too much flavour hop too.
Not a bad beer but not what I was after. I wanted a wheat beer and got this. Maybe the recipe has changed since wayback, but my memory recalls this as a wheat pale ale...and a hoppy one too.

May suit a style U like, SB.

Give it a go, and then you'll be able to judge 4 yourself.

Seth

Thanks for all your help guys, just fantastic to hear so quickly - just learning this site so I think I posted in the wrong spot - apologies will combine the advice Cheers Sunday Brewer

Yes, it was in the wrong spot, but it was quietly shifted by a back room worker.

For a bit more wheat flavour, check out the range of Morgans 1kg specialty liquid malts in a tin at your local HBS. This is of course going to bump the overall price up, but your beer will improve. Using 1 kg LME means there is still some space there for your honey. 200-300 gms of honey extra on top of the 1 kg LME will not push you into rocket fuel beer.

Also, one of the hop bags for some extra flavour, tettnang would compliment this brew nicely

Bavarian Wheat (BrewCraft)
Bavarian wheat enhancer
Safale/Wheat K-97

didnt know what to expect and didnt expect too much and was pleasantly surprised by this one. definately going back for another..

Sunday Brewer, the best and easiest was the esb bavarian wheat. All you add is the 3kg can of malt, water and yeast. too simple. And it tastes great.

Scotty

Not sure if they're still available but a few years back I put 2 Brewiser Wheat Beer Kits into the fermenter with a weizen yeast and it came out pretty good.

Only problem is I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen Brewiser kits around for a while. Check your LHBS.

Warren -

Another vote for the 3kg ESB Barvarian wheat kit, the green bits are hops and the accompanying yeast works well (Saf Wheat?).

just went and bought myself (and the missus, arent i nice?) the esb bavarian, sounds good

Boozy the clown said:
just went and bought myself (and the missus, arent i nice?) the esb bavarian, sounds good
[post="58985"][/post]​
Boozy, FWIW I wouldn't add quite as much water as they say. I haven't made one in ages but I remember making a note somewhere to cut back 2 or 3 litres on the recipe.

Just adding another vote this time for Sosmans suggestion of less water, my notes record 20.5 litres, and tasting similar to a Redback (as a smoker my taste buds maybe more forgiving than most).

thanks sos, got a coopers pale cued up to go in first. think i'm going to get a new fermenter from grumpys especially for the esb

wish i could just pop in to see them, i live near bowral!

what do you mean 'make a wheat for me?' i'm still a k&k brewer, not up to all that fancy stuff yet :ph34r:

Boozy,

Another suggestion if you're willing to part with the extra bucks is to see if your LHBS stocks the ESB fresh wort kits. IIRC There's a weizen in the range. Add a liquid culture and you'll be getting extremely close to what you seek.

Price for fresh wort kits are around the $30 mark.

Warren -

WortKitStBigCut02.jpg

I recommend you give the MSB Summer Wheat beer cans a go. I made one of these using 2 cans a while back and it turned out really good. It also comes with a pretty good german wheat yeast.

Back