What Can Be Used As Finnings ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzasmith78

Reaction score
g`day i live in country W.A and dont know much in the way of the brew, i have had a few runs but without info or ingreadients i feal like i am a bit out of my depth any help would be great :unsure:

at the mo i have coopers bitter in the fermenter and 1kg malt extract O.G 1060
temp is 24C

i would like to know what can be used as finnings and what effect if any this would have of the final drop
cheers
gazzasmith78

Interesting links... maybe I'll go for a cloudy pilsner ;) lol

To answer your question, I have been told that standard flavourless gelatine works well. Just disolve a tea spoon or two in boiling water, let cool and add to the brew. Most people add it towards the end of fermntation, usually before or during racking to a secondary fermentation.

The job of a finning is to drop out the suspended yeast and what nots that make the brew cloudy. It will fall and join the sedimate, resulting in a clearer brew.

I own a HB shop so get a lot of questions about finings; I dont think they are necessary if you are racking your beer or cold conditioning.

However excellent results will be obtained with Isinglass, this has been the traditional post ferment fining in ale brewing for several hundred years.

Brewcraft have a 100 mL bottle in there catalogue and your local HB will be able to source it for you (re order code is 45124). This often works out cheaper than the dried cow hoof gelatine, and being a liquid is much easier to use.

On tip, keep it in the fridge once you have opened the bottle.

Good Brewing
MHB

Jazzafish said:
Interesting links... maybe I'll go for a cloudy pilsner ;) lol

To answer your question, I have been told that standard flavourless gelatine works well. Just disolve a tea spoon or two in boiling water, let cool and add to the brew. Most people add it towards the end of fermntation, usually before or during racking to a secondary fermentation.

The job of a finning is to drop out the suspended yeast and what nots that make the brew cloudy. It will fall and join the sedimate, resulting in a clearer brew.
[post="92866"][/post]​

I use gelatine for all of my brews now if it needs it or not, works a treat. I add 2 teaspoons to a pint of hot water (not boiling) stir until disolved (works better with a fork) let it cool a little and pour it into your cube/fermenter.

Leave this for around 5-7 days and you have perfectly clear beer everytime.

I got some stuff called lucilite which is silica based. At first I thioungt it hadn't worked but I bottled a kolsch with 2565 and an alt with 1007, both notoriously bad floccers. They seemed to have cleared up very nicely. I imagine it would be available from most brew stores.

I have not tasted this beer yet so can't say if it has an effect on taste but I know a few people who use it and they say it doesn't effect the taste.

Or you can use a yeast that is a high flocculator.
I have used the Wyeast 1335 ant the Whitelabs 007.
Both have made very clear beer.

cheers
johnno

Back