What brewing trends or data would you like to see?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootlegjones

Reaction score
If you could see data sourced from professional breweries or even lots of homebrewers combined, what would you like to see?

Grain, hop and yeast trends?
Style trends?
Anything about equipment?
ABV trends?

What else?

Some Pro breweries use only liquid hops I'd like to know where they get it from and ratio they use for a partial mash

yeast pitching rates and techniques, aeration rates, fermentation speeds.
hop creep alcohol increase vs dry hop variety, quantity, and timing.
carbonation changes after packaging due to hop creep.

I'd like to see which hops they use in different beers, how different yeasts are used and why, and the variables associated with pressure fermenting and why they're done (ie temperature, pressure used etc)

I hazard a guess that most of us select yeast based on beer styles.

What I'd like to know is, are there times where pro brewers take into account such things as yeast and hop combinations that by themselves aren't strictly to tradition or convention but when paired produce an on style, on point product?

the variables associated with pressure fermenting and why they're done (ie temperature, pressure used etc)

As far as I'm aware, there may not be that many breweries that truly use pressure fermenting in the way that homebrewers have started using it. A lot of commercial breweries ferment under pressure simply due to the size and dimensions of their fermenters, which invariably lead to decently high pressures in the lower parts of the tank as a result of the hydrostatic pressure

List of ingredients, put them on the label.
List total weight of hops added, and by % hops weight /total solids weight.
Types of adjuncts used.
Do they use fresh new yeast each batch, or propogate used yeast?
Do any ferment in copper vessels?
Do any boil for 30 minutes or less?
Do any make a single malt, single hop beer?
Do any allow fresh air from the outdoors into the fermentation area?
Do any have a nutritional panel on the label?
Do any do open fermentation, no lid?

Last edited:
Recipes
Water quality/additions
Unfortunately without a full analysis of their water, their additions would be pointless. But perhaps a water profile that they achieve, even just the major Calcium, Chloride and Sulfates would be great.

List of ingredients, even if they're not willing to provide amounts/ratios.

Hi Bootlegjones,

Not sure what trends or data home brewers are after, but I am working on something for professional brewers (it might also help home brewers). Can I ask is your project a PhD project? And what Uni are you working out of?

I am currently part of a small Biotech startup in Newcastle CBD, using spectroscopy with machine learning to analyse beer, wine, honey and oils.

For wine we are detecting ABV, specific gravity, pH, titratable acidity (pH 8.2), titratable acidity (pH 7.0), residual glucose and fructose, acetic acid and malic acid, as well as off products.

Tea tree oil, we measure a range of compounds similar to what are found in hops eg. limonene, pinene, terpinolene, viridiflorol.

For beer we are aiming to look at off flavours, ABV, SG, residual sugars, hop flavours etc.

Initially it is just the basic wet chem data, but as we get more samples and data, the long-term ability of the AI learning models could predict malt + mashing profiles, adjuncts added, hop additions (g/L @ specific timepoints). The really long-term aspect of this would be that the machine learning could help suggest improvements to make a better beer.

Regards,

Mark.

I'd be keen to see values of different brewing data for popular examples of particular styles, and if there are correlations between beers that are more popular.

E.g. the most popular APAs typically have a ABV of W, a FG of X, IBUs of Y and a pH of Z, or an OG:BU ratio of A, etc.

Would be great to know if there are any particularly combinations/ratios that are popular, or if it's random...

Latest posts

Back