What Brewing Software Do You Use And Why?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pwned mysel^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H have no idea officer, I'm innocent I tells ya...

How dare this sort of shenanigan interrupts my brewdaw- just when I was about to add some late hops & all... :lol:

Edit: Sorry, in all the frivolity I neglected to mention, StrangeBrew is free and does most things a bought app would. Not perfect mind, but sufficient for my needs. And the ingredients databases are CSV, so you can put whatever you like in them, however you like, i.e. no proprietary DBs or any such crap.

I thought it was offering updated grain and hop databases for the software. Isn't that like offering a .rec (promash file)?

The developers DONOT upgrade data bases of various malts/hops/yeast that a brewer may use. It is up to a brewer to add these items by themselves!! It is surely also OK for the brewer to distribute these data bases to other brewers?

Funny that so many mamsy pamsy individuals fell it would be fine to share a microsoft product (only because it is microsoft), burn DVD's, download torrents but get all uppetty over such a little issue.

FWIW, I bought my version of Promash ~15 years ago.\

cheers

Darren

I thought it was offering updated grain and hop databases for the software. Isn't that like offering a .rec (promash file)?

The developers DONOT upgrade data bases of various malts/hops/yeast that a brewer may use. It is up to a brewer to add these items by themselves!! It is surely also OK for the brewer to distribute these data bases to other brewers?

Funny that so many mamsy pamsy individuals fell it would be fine to share a microsoft product (only because it is microsoft), burn DVD's, download torrents but get all uppetty over such a little issue.

It wasn't Darren. The post offering updated databases is still in the thread.

link

No need to get mamsy pamsy about it :lol:

FWIW - I use BeerAlchemy. I have Beersmith and Promash too, but never use them anymore. BeerAlchemy does everything I want with a great user interface, percentage based recipe building and the developer is really receptive to adding extras (I emailed him about adding Brix conversions on the recipe sheet, next release a few weeks later had it!).

Seems Darren might have missed the "THe CRACK still works" posted earlier.

Maybe someone is "Cracking" those updated databases.

All I suggest is that no one publicly states that they have or are stealing any software.

Pretty Simple....

FWIW, I bought my version of Promash ~15 years ago.\

cheers

Darren

EDIT: Chappo is an idiot if he did not weigh out hops for himself. No fault of the real Craftbrewer, GLS.

The guy was boasting his crack for the program still worked.

Darren, if you want to justify ripping off an individual in the brewing or home brewing industry just say so. Don't compare it to a mega comany like microsoft that will one day rule the world.

cheers

Browndog

Seems Darren might have missed the "THe CRACK still works" posted earlier.

Maybe someone is "Cracking" those updated databases.

All I suggest is that no one publicly states that they have or are stealing any software.

Pretty Simple....

OK, well why are pictures of many homebrewers set-up which contain obviously stolen kegs (unless of course receipts are posted too) moderated and deleted?

Seems a little mamsy pamsy at the least and at worst selective sensorship ;)

cheers

Darren

PS: I hope you dont have yourself or associate with people using "second-hand" kegs?

I reckon Browndog and Pete and Kook and AndrewQld should post pics of their breweries?

cheerrs

darren

I reckon Browndog and Pete and Kook and AndrewQld should post pics of their breweries?

cheerrs

darren

I have in the gallery and other threads Darren; I have no idea what my brewery has to do with brewing software though. Do you?

I have in the gallery and other threads Darren; I have no idea what my brewery has to do with brewing software though. Do you?

Kook,
Is this your picture?

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...si&img=4302

If so, did you pay for that keg? Do you have receipts?.

Seems there are pages and pages of photoshopped kegs in there?

"Stolen" software is bad and requires mamsy pamsy moderation (unless it comes from microsoft of course browndog) but a little thieved keg is ok?

Moderators, get some consistency in your censorship!! :eek:

cheers

Darren

Kook,

As did the other posters with kegs in the gallery??

cheers

Darren

cheerrs

darren

Why would that be Darren?

Even if I DID have used CUB kegs, and I porovided receipts for them... how would that affect this situation?

Seems showing off used kegs is somehow similar to telling the world that you steal and distribute pirated software to anyone who asks for it?

Officially letting this one go now......

Why would that be Darren?

Even if I DID have used CUB kegs, and I porovided receipts for them... how would that affect this situation?

Seems showing off used kegs is somehow similar to telling the world that you steal and distribute pirated software to anyone who asks for it?

Officially letting this one go now......

Please do people. Just let it go people.

Craftbrewer

back OT - i use promash because it was the software to use when i started AG (2003 odd). I am happy with it and it works well. Strange but i found it easy to use and beersmith hard but thats because i was used to it. I did use the demo of BS and like the water salts etc and think its better in some areas.

At the end of the day try them all and one will stand out...

just make sure you enjoy your brewing

Pirating software designed just to help brewers all to save $30? Really, that's pretty damn pathetic.

I use Beersmith, downloaded the trial of Promash and Beersmith but the interface seemed easier to use. Both have trials you can download so even if others recommend either one there's nothing stopping you seeing how you like each of them.

Neither are perfect but for the tiny sum of $30 it's hard to complain. They'll take care of most of the thinking required on brewday, will record the results and help calculate everything else. Hard to ask for more!

And this has what to do with the brewing software you use? :)

I will let this go, BUT for a comment.

The anology that Darren uses is an excellent one. As a moderator, if you exercise a judgement that a post somehow borders on illegal activity, then you should be consistant accross the board on the principles you apply it.

You can not show favour. In the keg example, I know for a fact that CUB and Lion Nathan DO NOT SELL THEIR KEGS. I have tried many occasions to buy them second hand for brewing dirrectly from them. They crush them rather than sell them - period.

Therefore, any brewing setup with these kegs HAVE TO HAVE appropriate paperwork from them to authorise their use. If not- well its illegal. Thats the point Darren is making. Why pick on one subject - consistancy accross the board from moderators. A picture with these kegs means its illegal unless proven otherwise.

Climb a moral high horse - ONLY if your prepared to fall on those morals.

Craftbrewer

WOW, what a censored thread! never seen anything like this. Graham Sanders bragged about having a Promash crack, there is no disputing it.

I will let this go, BUT for a comment.

The anology that Darren uses is an excellent one. As a moderator, if you exercise a judgement that a post somehow borders on illegal activity, then you should be consistant accross the board on the principles you apply it.

You can not show favour. In the keg example, I know for a fact that CUB and Lion Nathan DO NOT SELL THEIR KEGS. I have tried many occasions to buy them second hand for brewing dirrectly from them. They crush them rather than sell them - period.

Therefore, any brewing setup with these kegs HAVE TO HAVE appropriate paperwork from them to authorise their use. If not- well its illegal. Thats the point Darren is making. Why pick on one subject - consistancy accross the board from moderators. A picture with these kegs means its illegal unless proven otherwise.

Climb a moral high horse - ONLY if your prepared to fall on those morals.

Craftbrewer

All wrong. The thing that people are taking issue with is that there was a suggestion that an individual presented his software piracy as helping the homebrew community. I don't see anyone suggesting that their CUB keggle is a massive boon to the megaswill producers.

Rhetoric is good stuff, kids. Look into it.

p.s. wtf does "mamsy pamsy" mean? Namby pamby?

Discussing illegal activities is verboden
Questioning moderators is sehr verboden
Since there is nothing of use to the original poster being added, thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back