What bottles are best

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coopers do have a special barrier on the inside which protects from oxidization for at least 18 month's. If you DON'T use warm or hot water to rinse out the bottles

Josho said:
The only drawbock with the swing tops is if they are accidentally overprimed when you open them they go POP! and make you poo your pants.
The only draw back with some other glass bottles that have accidentally been over primed, is the potential for being glassed by your own home brew.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I did read somewhere that the coopers pet bottles are thicker than normal pet bottles
Have you seen how ridiculously thin the new soft drink bottles are? Especially the 600ml bottles.

Coopers PET bottles are much thicker. Having said that, I am yet to blow up one of the thinner bottles...YET!

So it turns out the strong smell of beer in the garage wasn't my current brew bubbling, pic below is a coopers lager after 4 weeks in the bottle with normal FG.

Lucky I didn't condition these bottles inside otherwise I'd be sleeping in the garage :unsure:

Me mate has some home brew bottles that were capped 5 years ago.
The glass pickaxe tasted amasing and tbe plastic had 0 carbonation left and tasted horrible.
Glass all the way.

Jesus that plastic bottle really went off. Glass is much better, the last 2 brews I have bottled have been in glass and the taste is far superior. Got another 15 cartons to fill now, and try to give away all my plastic ones.

I can hardly imagine what a beer would taste like after 5 years in PET. The mind boggles.

There's nothing wrong with using the brown pet bottles produced for beer. Saying the beer is ruined after 3 months is just plain wrong.
James85 - May I suggest you bottle a single batch of beer, half in new plastic beer bottles & the other half in glass. I can guarantee there will be no taste difference.

Personally I love glass, but some of the comments about plastic in this thread, (which is a much safer product for new brewers) are just plain wrong & misleading.

Cheers Ross

I agree with Ross.

By the way, the title of this thread should read "Which bottles are best".

Grammar/Spelling Nazi hat back on the rack. LOL.

Mabey you are right Ross. But in my opinion, things from glass bottles taste better. Same as coke a cola tastes better in glass over plastic. I used the pet ones for a long time and had no bad or off flavors in my beer. Bottled my usual brew in glass and it tasted better to me that's all.

Ross said:
There's nothing wrong with using the brown pet bottles produced for beer. Saying the beer is ruined after 3 months is just plain wrong.
James85 - May I suggest you bottle a single batch of beer, half in new plastic beer bottles & the other half in glass. I can guarantee there will be no taste difference.

Personally I love glass, but some of the comments about plastic in this thread, (which is a much safer product for new brewers) are just plain wrong & misleading.

Cheers Ross
Ross, like the brewer just mentioned, bottle a single batch, half in glass half in brown PET. I guarantee that after 12 months you will notice a substantial difference. There will be a difference after 3 months, but maybe you won't notice it.

I like the James Squire stubbies, labels fall off with a little soak and never had one break.

Will be sticking with the till I go to kegs.

Coke tastes different out of glass, cans, and plastic bottles, usually because that's what you drink it from. Taste is largely governed by your sense of smell, and because you get different smells from different materials, it affects the taste. If you pour it into a glass it doesn't taste any different, regardless of what container it came from. I've heard differing views on beer. Some say there is no difference for the same reason, others say there is a noticeable difference. I can't comment one way or the other because I have never used PET bottles for beer and never will.

Currently replacing all bottles with Sierra stubbies at the moment, and a few 500mL bottles from English beers I try occasionally.

Diggs, I've got about 50 or 60 odd empty JS stubbies which I'm getting rid of, you're welcome to them if you want them. They are all cleaned and labels removed. Send us a PM if you like :)

500ml euro long necks:
Amber -tick
Thick glass - tick (most brands)
Bigger than a stubby but not as big commitment to open and drink than a long neck - tick.
Labels fall off when put in the dish washer - tick.
Bottle brush goes in and out easy - tick.

I personally don't mind PET bottles, I agree with Ross above. But to get dry sediment out of the bottom of them... A pain in the ass.
IMHO
Edit: IMHO

what is peoples view on heineken stubbies, my housemate just bought a slab and is saving me the empties.

They should be fine. Might be a bit of a slow day come bottling day though.

Thanks for the reply, I don't mind the stubbies. I used to be married so I'm used to boring and repetitive work

Latest posts

Back