What beers are you making for Christmas 2017?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
The other day we decided to hold Christmas at the in-laws new pad. The offer was put up that the 3 tap kegerator should be set up there for the duration, so 1 week before and through to New Years....that got me thinking about Christmas beers, time left etc

Have you put thought into this years Chrissy brews?

I'm thinking of having:

1 Tap - Hoppy Pale Ale/Session IPA/fruity tooty beer - around 3.5%
2 Tap - Euro Lager - around 5%
3 Tap - Saison - up to 6%

a few assorted beers from this year and earlier

Someone had to ask...

3 taps just aren't enough but that's all I have too. Its always good to have something dark, or stout on tap too,
and a big IPA, a real IPA or Christmas Beer around 7.5%.
I also fit in an 11lt keg in for a forth tap that is soda water. Some beers shandy well with soda water if you want to reduce the ABV's.
But no. Nothing planned

Actually It may be my first Melbourne Ale with wlp059 and a Saison with the bret blend.

Last edited:
3 taps just aren't enough but that's all I have too. Its always good to have something dark, or stout on tap too,
and a big IPA, a real IPA or Christmas Beer around 7.5%.
I also fit in an 11lt keg in for a forth tap that is soda water. Some beers shandy well with soda water if you want to reduce the ABV's.
Agree with the 3 tap thing, this is why I started building keezer No2 with 4 more.:rolleyes: I just need to get my butt into gear and finish it up already before it starts getting too warm. Christmas I'll have a Hef, A light ale >4% an IPA, American Brown, Stout, Strawberry Cider and a Bottle of RIS to close the night, I'll be on the BBQ so I'll be taking it easy till the kids pass out.

Was a bad joke. If she was actually visiting it would just be ordinary beer.

She's a coeliac.

I believe in replying in kind, and since this was the only (award winning) beer option served at a family Christmas turnout we had to travel two hours to get to last year, I've already began filling a keg with my own urine. Man.. I wish droid was my uncle..

ALC7513_LIQUOR_AWARDS_PD_388x314_50.jpg

Going to the UK to visit family, but am planning on taking a few bottles with me:

Newcy Brown clone
Belgian dark strong
Either a best bitter, or IPA... can't decide

UK breweries will have to stump up the rest.... should be really tough ;)

I believe in replying in kind, and since this was the only (award winning) beer option served at a family Christmas turnout we had to travel two hours to get to last year, I've already began filling a keg with my own urine. Man.. I wish droid was my uncle..

ALC7513_LIQUOR_AWARDS_PD_388x314_50.jpg
Mini Kegs Dave Mini kegs!

The other day we decided to hold Christmas at the in-laws new pad. The offer was put up that the 3 tap kegerator should be set up there for the duration, so 1 week before and through to New Years....that got me thinking about Christmas beers, time left etc

Have you put thought into this years Chrissy brews?

I'm thinking of having:

Someone had to ask...

I'd ask for #2 to be that dry ale you brew so well. I'd also ask you to bring some of that villainous RIS.

beers for christ.png

Walking on Water special light
Fully nailed strong stout
Last supper Dinner Ale

Edit:
I'd clean forgotten about:

Water into Barley Wine

Attachments

• beers for christ.png
    beers for christ.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
at a guess:

4 taps

Session Ale 4% 18ibu - clear and clean
Witbier 4.8% 15ibu - cloudy and zesty
APA 5.4% 35ibu - citrus baby
IPA 7% 60ibu - bitter!

Going to the UK to visit family, but am planning on taking a few bottles with me:

Newcy Brown clone
Belgian dark strong
Either a best bitter, or IPA... can't decide

UK breweries will have to stump up the rest.... should be really tough ;)

Buy a DIY beer kit for someone over there as a present.

I've been having a play around with doing really hoppy beers, with the addition of flaked rice in the mash. I've had really good success so far in creating light, hoppy beers with a low bitterness that seems to appease the widest audience so far. Super easy to drink and doesn't fatigue the palate.
Last one that was also the most popular was:
80% BB Pale Ale
20% Flaked Rice
50g Citra, 50g Chinook Whirlpool hopped for 30min
Ferment with US-05
Dry hop at 2g/L Citra
23L Batch.

Probably just do 3 or four kegs of this with hop variations for the Festive Season.

I'm thinking of having:

Someone had to ask...

Just adding some late night sippers to the list

4 - RIS/Stout Blend 8-9%
5 - Belgian Golden 7.75%
6 - Belgian Stout 7-8%

:)You may not see much of Xmas with those brews droid?:overhead:

The plan would be to crack the 3.5%'er in the morning, then around lunch get into the Lagers followed by a nanna-nap mid-to-late afternoon, then a refreshing saison or three upon waking before moving on to one or two of the Golden Ales before falling asleep again during a RIS, hopefully with the RIS glass on the table not in hand

^edit - a practice run may be required

Latest posts

Back