What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enough of this tit for tat. Better nip it in the bud.

Vale Judith Durham.

There will no doubt be plenty of clips of her singing with the Seekers on the TV news today. All good but here she is solo, singing Danny Boy live in front of a Melbourne TV studio audience back in the 1960s. What a truly glorious voice she had.

RIP.

A very well told yarn about Mark Knopfler’s Sultans Of Swing and how it came into being.

This is a trip back to mid-1970s London and the tiny Pathway recording studio poked away down a side alley off Grosvenor Ave. (I was all over London in ’74 and ’76 - could have stood next to him in a pub somewhere, or a Wimpy bar, and never known).

And here’s the man himself only a few years ago talking about his music and how he and Dire Straits played it, including a narrated version of Sultans Of Swing.

It's Sunday evening, and I'm still coming down.
Thanks, Kris.

A very well told yarn about Mark Knopfler’s Sultans Of Swing and how it came into being.

This is a trip back to mid-1970s London and the tiny Pathway recording studio poked away down a side alley off Grosvenor Ave. (I was all over London in ’74 and ’76 - could have stood next to him in a pub somewhere, or a Wimpy bar, and never known).

And here’s the man himself only a few years ago talking about his music and how he and Dire Straits played it, including a narrated version of Sultans Of Swing.

MK Also has a funny anecdote about how he came up with the lyrics for "Money for Nothing". Apparently he was watching some lads working in an appliance store, who were watching MTV and said "that ain't working" and a few other such lines from the song.

He's worth watching an interview with. Very humble, and tells great stories about his journey.

^ Its a pity to think that Money For Nothing wouldn't be written today, such is the effect that Cancel Culture has on artistic creativity. Not with lyrics like:

See the little ****** with the earring and the make up
Yeah, buddy, that's his own hair
That little ****** got his own jet airplane
That little ******, he's a millionaire

(Is this a reference to Elton John?) It's a pity because Knopfler isn't being critical of gay people, he observing the delivery guy's attitude to gays. Its a social commentary set to one of the best lead guitar instrumentals he wrote.

Probably the first piece of modern music I remember ever really liking - the jazzy story told in the cartoon The Three Little Bops. The music was written specifically for this Warner Bros cartoon by Milton Rogers and recorded by him and his band, Shorty Rogers and His Giants, in late 1956. The lyrics were spoken by Stan Freberg.

Very catchy, funny, with hand-drawn animation cells brilliantly synced with the music, and with a trumpet solo at the end (or is it a flugelhorn?) that is just so fluid, smooth and cool. The tune also gives a glimpse of popular music in the early pre-dawn days just before the sun rose on the rock and roll era. Could loop this track for hours. Makes me smile.

Couldn't find the original cartoon on YouTube, but this remastered soundtrack is clean and the picture stills give credit to the late, great jazzmen who gave this tune life.

(It was recorded the year I was born. But I wouldn’t have heard it until my parents bought our first TV set, which I remember mum saying they plugged in on the day that Princess Margaret (the late Queen’s sister) got married in 1960. Later in the 60s, Channel 9 in Adelaide used to run nightly episodes of the Warner Brothers Bugs Bunny Show after the evening news. So I guess I first heard it there.)

Last edited:
^ Its a pity to think that Money For Nothing wouldn't be written today, such is the effect that Cancel Culture has on artistic creativity. Not with lyrics like:

(Is this a reference to Elton John?) It's a pity because Knopfler isn't being critical of gay people, he observing the delivery guy's attitude to gays. Its a social commentary set to one of the best lead guitar instrumentals he wrote.
They drop that verse when they play it on the radio (have done since the 90's I reckon as I remember hearing it on the radio and it wasn't there, and then being surprised when I listened to my old man's vinyl and hearing that verse).

Cracking album though. Got some of Dire Straits finest on there.

This is a great live version (and far better than the studio recording in my book) of telegraph road.

I was both saddened and surprised to hear on the radio the other day that singer-songwriter Janis Ian has cancelled her current US-Canadian tour due to a serious throat problem.

Sad because it seems her singing career has now come to an end; and surprised because I had no idea she was still performing. She’s been writing, playing and singing since the late 1960s - that’s a long, long innings.

She’s probably best known for her 1975 song At Seventeen that tells the secret story of the insecurities and inner torment experienced by many teenage girls, her melancholy words carried on a soft samba rhythm.

Thanks for the beautiful music Janis.

(further info: Tour Dates – Janis Ian )

Artistic licence. Tarantino cops no cancellation for using n***a like a punctuation mark in his films, as it should be. Personally I see no daylight between that and the lyrics of a recording artist. Though many more hysterical types seem to.

'Go away" - Snoop Dogg.

Now she said she don't like a G
Well listen here bitch, get the **** from 'round me
You thought you was bout to get a drink on me?
I put hands on you bitch like Suga Free
I always let a bitch know her boundaries
Same with a nigga, I treat him like a flea
You claim to be, you aim to be in my spot
Motherfucker, you will get popped

See? Here's Snoop clearly not letting a Martha Stewart know her boundaries as it were, but instead doing a little baking. Its all an act.

cde5ea50-d720-4a87-b5ef-c3de7c360759.jpg

White Anglo-Saxon protestants always get the blame.

Martha Stewart is a white Slavic catholic.

Sixty years ago this week The Beatles released their debut single Love Me Do to an unsuspecting world. And so it all began.

Here's that song...

And here’s the story behind it.

Last edited:
Couple of recent Paul Simon 'garage band' covers - Late In The Evening and Kodachrome - sung by Josh Turner with an excellent backing ensemble.

Great to see these songs freshly rejuvinated by a younger generation for their peers.

Latest posts

Back