What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Charlie..

So many tributes have been written and said about Charlie Watts. This one from musicians' storyteller Otis Gibbs touches on the real world he inhabited inside the Stones and describes the mark he left on them, and the rest of us who have listened to their music for so many years.

These guys are the best thing about in thrash metal these days

Nice! I hadn't heard of these blokes. I'll make sure to check them out more. Cool that they're kiwis. (Not that I am).

I really highly rate "Infest The Rats' Nest" from "King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard" from a couple of years ago. So good and strangely prescient by basically predicting the COVID-19 pandemic on their track "Superbug".

Nice! I hadn't heard of these blokes. I'll make sure to check them out more. Cool that they're kiwis. (Not that I am). Not my cup of tea, but great head shaking music. Good to see the young ones doing their own thing with a bit of kiwi authenticity checked in!

Feldon, thanks awesome. Made our day!
Faaaarrrk!!

Check this out!

A “montage” from a new Beatles movie ‘Get Back’ pre-released several hours ago by filmaker Peter Jackson.

Jackson said, “We wanted to give the fans of The Beatles all over the world a holiday treat, so we put together this five-minute sneak peek at our upcoming theatrical film ‘The Beatles: Get Back.’ We hope it will bring a smile to everyone’s faces and some much-needed joy at this difficult time.”

I didn’t even know this film was in the pipeline. Will be released in August next year.

Some amazing high quality vision of the Beatles in this clip that I’ve never seen before.

Here ya go! The trailer for the new Beatles movie Get Back coming out (first via streaming, in three parts) in late November.

Footage never seen before - and its superb.

I'm 50 years younger again!

Last edited:
Hadn’t heard this tune for years until I stumbled across it - In the Year 2525 by Zager and Evans (1968). Great song. Another one of those that defy categorization. I remember it arriving unannounced like a blazing comet when I just started high school. Poetically prophetic lyrics and a great sound driven relentlessly by the bass and drums.
Only found a few live performances of the original song on YouTube, and in those the duo lip-synced for TV shows. This video tries to put a lot of the songs meaning into context by way of visual montage.

Ringo Starr singing Rock Around The Clock with Joe Walsh and others in the band - released two days ago.

Ringo doing ok for an old geezer. Impressive.

Tony Burrows was an English studio vocalist who unwittingly became king of the one-hit-wonders in the 1970s. He contributed lead vocals in the studio to songs that became hits even before the attributed band had been formed. So to promote the record on TV Burrows would front a quickly cobbled together band line-up until his replacement could be found (Burrows would then quietly return to the reliability of regular recording studio work).

He’d spread himself a bit thin in early 1970 when he found himself lead singer of four different bands all of which had songs in the Top 10 at the same time. And four times he appeared on the weekly UK TV show ‘Top Of The Pops’ fronting two of these bands in back-to-back performances, causing a lot of head scratching by viewers (and the show’s host, the filthy pedophile dog Jimmy Saville)

Here’s his four simultaneous hits in 1970 when rock-pop filled the radio airwaves, go-go girls were gorgeous and skirts were short.

Love Grows by Edison Lighthouse (a clip that proves that up-skirting predated mobile phones by decades):

My Baby Loves Lovin by White Plains:

Gimme Dat Ding by The Pipkins (couldn’t find a live performance, but here’s Pan’s People giving it some sensuous 70s moves):

United We Stand by The Brotherhood of Man (also later recorded in the US by Sonny and Cher):

And amidst, and despite, all the puff and fakery of that toe-tapping 70's pop era there appeared epic anthems like this, by a young guy with a guitar standing at a mike. He seemed to speak for all of us back then when it was now. Was it pop, or poetry? Or perhaps just something for all time. It was certainly masterful lyrical pageantry. Don McLean and his American Pie.

Making music at Abbey Road in 1969.
First clip of Get Back just released ahead of premiere in a few weeks:

I'm not actually listening to this, well apart from a short piece of video that was sent to me by text. My son is at this moment at a John Fogerty concert in Washington DC (one of the perks of working in Maryland for a few months). Both JF's sons playing and the great Kenny Aranoff on drums.

Long thought to have been lost, a 16 mm film of the EasyBeats' first appearance on TV in London was recently found in a basement in NSW and handed over to the National Film & Sound Archive of Australia (NFSA).

A digitised video of the film was released to the public yesterday.

It shows the band playing Friday On My Mind on the BBC's 'Top of the Pops' programme in Nov 1966. Stevie Wright's lead vocal is said to have been performed live-to-air, while the music and backing vocals were pre-recorded earlier and the band mimed to the recording in the TV broadcast.

The story of the find and the video of it is on the NFSA website here:

Easybeats Perform 'Friday on My Mind' on Top of the Pops | NFSA

(Just an observation: in other later clips of the band's time in London they showed off a sticker of the Australian flag on the bass drum. It doesn't appear here, so the decision to promote themselves in the UK as an Aussie band probably post-dates this Nov '66 clip).

Director Peter Jackson interviewed by Variety magazine on the release of his new three-part documentary The Beatles: Get Back.

Just love this snapshot of real life on the road.

Less than two minutes of video (recorded on a phone by the look of it) taken backstage at a Rockwiz concert a few years ago.

It’s really a series of vignettes - begins with drummer Peter ‘Lucky’ Luscombe and guitarist Ash Taylor starting to sing Different Drum (made famous by Linda Ronstadt). JPY appears. Then it falters (forgotten lyrics?), but Luscombe brings the tune back to life with the driving crack of his drum sticks. Then Angry Anderson joins in. And Julia Zemiro slips into her Wizard of Oz red shoes. While adjudicator of the show Brian Nankervis coolly finishes putting in his cuff links just as the whole thing ends, saying “Showtime”. And the picture is complete.

So good to see seasoned old veteran musos still loving it like kids.

Bumping this in tribute to Mike Nesmith who wrote this song, Different Drum (and many others).

The ex-Monkee has died age 78.

Thanks for the great music. RIP.

1639219505770.png

And happy 106th birthday to Frank Sinatra, born on this day in 1915 (and died age 82 in 1998).

Here’s his vocal power in all its might and majesty back in 1974 in front of a big home town audience, and telling them straight how he did it My Way. He did too.

Latest posts

Back