What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another belter. Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde wrote and recorded the song Joey back in 1990. Here she is nearly 30 years later, singer and song more powerful than ever. A huge natural vocal performance.

The incomparable Eric Gales (maybe the Ghost of Hendrix) with this exceptional guitar instrumental of Howlin Wolf’s Smokestack Lightning.

(bloke is right-handed and plays a right-handed Fender, but plays it left-handed, upside down with the treble strings on top - WTF!)

The incomparable Eric Gales (maybe the Ghost of Hendrix) with this exceptional guitar instrumental of Howlin Wolf’s Smokestack Lightning.

(bloke is right-handed and plays a right-handed Fender, but plays it left-handed, upside down with the treble strings on top - WTF!)

From one Joe Bonamassa's Blues Alive cruise's. Next one is feb next year, check out the website!
https://www.bluesaliveatsea.com

Bruce Springsteen and John Fogerty in concert "take a ball park swing at Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison.

Just got a sent a copy of PWR UP as a b'day present from my son in Madrid. Not their best, but it's great to hear some new stuff from the lads. think I'll put it on for another listening in case I missed anything important.o_O

Ian Moss with an acoustic version of Saturday Night.

Another great Beatles cover from the MonaLisa Twins, full of energy and the authentic guitar sound of the original.
This video was just released on YouTube but it was filmed live back in 2016 during their residency at the hallowed Cavern Club in Liverpool.

Not music related, but, "What am I listening to?"

Jordan Peterson. Saying stuff like this that just stops me in my tracks and makes me think. Wish he was around when I was younger.

"You don’t want to be the stupidest guy in the room - it’s a bloody rough place to be. But you don’t want to be the smartest guy in the room either, because that probably means you should be in different room”.

So many greats have covered this great song over the years. I like this version in particular because the lyrics are clearly spoken, unlike in many others. And it has just a single acoustic guitar as accompaniment, just as Dylan originaly did it way back in the mid 1960s.

And after all these years I can now consider the tag line being written somewhat about me (and maybe you too), "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

A song that's 50 years young this year, Spectrum's 1971 hit I'll Be Gone. One of the most enduring tunes of the 70s.

Here's Spectrum's Mike Rudd singing it, and playing that glorious harmonica hook, in 2009 (you might have to click the link to watch it directly on YouTube).
1629346296885.png

RIP Tom T. Hall, one of the great country song writers. Dead at 85 but his work will live on.

Here’s an obituary: Country Singer Tom T. Hall, Writer Of 'Harper Valley PTA,' Dies At 85

He was a great wordsmith, in music and in books. Here’s him singing his Old Dogs, And Children, And Watermelon Wine - a song that is a bit like those from other writers like The Gambler and Mr Bojangles in that they sit a category of their own. Sort of music for Everyman.

And here’s Otis Gibbs saying a few words in tribute to his life and work.

Also departed this month was country/folk (or ‘folkabilly’ as she called it) singer and songwriter Nanci Griffith at the age of 68. She was an influencial fixture of the Nashville music scene for decades.

Listening to her short and amusing preamble to this simple song about a shop assistant and an aspiring steel guitar player you’d be forgiven for thinking she’s one of those delicate little flowers (a Texas rose perhaps) that twitter rather than sing. Delicate, diminutive and dainty she is - but wait to hear the power and control of her singing voice open up. Good guitar player too.

Rest in peace, Nanci.

Just announced.

(the film 'Get Back' directed by Peter Jackson is due out at Christmas)

Funny how things remind you... bit like sitting around sipping few and swapping jokes.
Someone posted a link to a Marmite ale with Love/Hate superimposed on the label.
Reminded me of a song by Steve Poltz (Cold German) where he manages to sing lovehate/hatelove which has kept me amused working through as much of his catalogue as I can find.
He tours Australia pretty regularly and always puts on of good if somewhat quirky show, worth catching if you can.
Mark

Back