What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was way outside this song's target age group when it was released back in 2004, and my demographic profile hasn't improved any since then.

But shit, what a great song, and this girl could really sing.

I always thought AC/DC had the wildest concert audiences.

But check out these crazy Scots when the Proclaimers hit the chorus of I'm Gonna Be 500 Miles.

Just nuts.

Change of pace in the brew shed! Ode to the eighties, Sweet Jane cover by the Cowboy Junkies. Lou Reed on hearing this cover commented that it was originally written to be played slow.

Mrs Brown, You’ve Got A Lovely Daughter, by Herman’s Hermits, the song that knocked Elvis out of No. 1 spot in the US charts in 1965.

This is in tribute to the man who wrote the song, Trevor Peacock, who died last month in England at age 89.

Peacock is perhaps best known as the actor who played Jim Trott in the comedy series The Vicar of Dilby (“...no, no, no, no, no, no, yes”). An obituary can be found here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-jim-trott-the-vicar-of-dibley-b1819640.html

Rest in peace, Mr Peacock.

I heard on the radio this morning that it’s only 100 days until the start of the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. And all morning I’ve had Sting singing the song Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic bouncing around inside my head. But why? And then I remembered.

Back in the 1980s Melbourne TV station Channel 7 compiled video clips of female gymnasts performing and synced them to the above song (and some of the edits are just spot on - and it wasn’t easy back then with the video editing gear of the time). The video was often played at the start of broadcasts and as a filler in-between events, and in particular it showed clips of the ‘perfect 10’ gymnast the young Nadia Comăneci of Romania.

So I went looking for the old gymnast clip on YouTube, and found it - at least a later version of it with updated clips. It was put together when Australian TV networks led the world in innovative videography and editing (remember Channel 9’s early Stump Cam and Helmet Cam used in cricket broadcasts, and the in-car RaceCam in motor racing).

It was a great song too!

Last edited:
Sublime song and performance. Even if it does remind me of my old dial-up modem.

My favorite, multi-talented Austrian twins with a just released cover of Both Sides Now.
Beautifully played and sung and faithful to Joni Mitchell's original creation.

Bob Geldof, at a huge Live Aid gig he organised at Wembley Stadium in 1985, singing I Don’t Like Mondays. To me this live performance sounds heaps better than the recorded version.

(The song title echoes the words the murderer said when she was asked by police why she opened fire at a school in California on a Monday morning.)

Live at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, the MonaLisa Twins with their cover of The Kinks' You Really Got Me.

Those Gretsch and Rickenbacker guitars were the sound of the 60s.

Twelve years before he died Joe Cocker closed out a gig in Germany in 2002 with this seething, swinging and saxy version of Unchain My Heart. A great gritty singer still at his best with an ace band and backing singers.

Twelve years before he died Joe Cocker closed out a gig in Germany in 2002 with this seething, swinging and saxy version of Unchain My Heart. A great gritty singer still at his best with an ace band and backing singers.

One of the greatest performers ever and this song is one of his best RIP Joe. Loved the 60s and 70s I hope the young people of today don't miss out on these brilliant years.

Latest posts

Back