What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feldon, thanks awesome. Made our day!
No worries, Malty. Glad to be the bearer of good news.

Only a few days ago I posted a clip from the Beatles’ last live gig on the rooftop in London. I thought I’d seen all of the bits and pieces of that which have survived. But according to the film’s web site “The film features - for the first time in its entirety - the Beatles' last live performance as a group, the unforgettable rooftop concert on London’s Savile Row...”.

Acclaimed filmmaker Peter Jackson’s “The Beatles: Get Back” is a unique cinematic experience that takes audiences back in time to The Beatles’ intimate recording sessions during a pivotal moment in music history. The film showcases the warmth, camaraderie and creative genius that defined the legacy of the iconic foursome. Shot in January 1969 and compiled from over 60 hours of unseen footage (filmed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg) and more than 150 hours of unheard audio, all of which has been brilliantly restored, “The Beatles: Get Back” is the story of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr as they plan their first live show in over two years and charts the writing and rehearsing of 14 new songs, originally intended for release on an accompanying live album. The film features – for the first time in its entirety – The Beatles' last live performance as a group, the unforgettable rooftop concert on London’s Savile Row as well as other songs and classic compositions featured on the band’s final two albums, Abbey Road and Let It Be.

The Beatles: Get Back - A Sneak Peek from Peter Jackson

Amazing. Who said that Santa doesn’t exist.

Ringo and friends with a new release, Here's To The Nights, to close out the year.

Nice tune.

And one from Paul McCartney, Find My Way, off his new album, 'McCartney III'.

(He's still playing every instrument, like he used to after the Beatles' breakup - just to show he's a real muso. Paul, I knew you were the real deal 50 years ago!).

A lovely Christmas duet by the the MonaLisa Twins - Walking in the Air.

The singing, musicianship and video editing perfectly capture the essence of the song. Sublime.

Ok, it's time to warm the loins for new year’s eve with the Hindley Street Country Club.

Who doesn’t like a piece of Adelaide’s finest thigh? - particularly if they shave behind the kneecaps.

Thanks for posting DU99.

Yes, so sad when one of the greats dies, but so much more so when it was someone who contributed to the very inception of modern music back in Liverpool in the late '50s and '60s. There are so few of them left.

Looking around I found this extraordinary video clip of Gerry singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" at a concert called Last Night of The Kop. It was held in 1994 to mark the imminent demolition of the 'Kop' at Liverpool FC's Anfield ground, which was a standing only area (every ground used to have one, often called the terraces, or the outer etc). The old Kop was replaced by seating.

If I recall correctly, Liverpool FC's Kop was named after Spion Kop - a hill in South Africa where Liverpudlian soldiers (scousers) died in great numbers in the Boer War.

Anyway, the passion shown when Gerry Marsden sings this to the true believers is just utterly compelling. I don't even follow soccer and I had tears running down my cheeks. So much human power enshrined in a single song.

Rest in peace, Gerry.

The Teskey Bros have talent, for me so did Doug Parkinson but poor management left him in the shadows. I do hope that someone can take the Teskey Bros and promote them to where they should be.
Ok, it's time to warm the loins for new year’s eve with the Hindley Street Country Club.

Who doesn’t like a piece of Adelaide’s finest thigh? - particularly if they shave behind the kneecaps.

I have had better thighs from Colonel Sanders.
These are legs.

John Fogerty, 75 years old and still doing it like he did all those years ago.

Here he is in COVID lockdown at home with his two sons and daughter playing his Creedence classic, Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

Timeless music from a master.

(I don’t know what it is, but everytime I hear CCR I want to go out and buy a new flannelette shirt - and maybe pick up a pack of Winni Reds, a Chicko Roll and a Big M on the way home).

John Fogerty, 75 years old and still doing it like he did all those years ago.

Here he is in COVID lockdown at home with his two sons and daughter playing his Creedence classic, Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

Timeless music from a master.

(I don’t know what it is, but everytime I hear CCR I want to go out and buy a new flannelette shirt - and maybe pick up a pack of Winni Reds, a Chicko Roll and a Big M on the way home).

Nice - listened to a few... missing one important thing ...... drums... those songs bedded down nicely with the drums and now when not there you miss them. ... especially proud mary

Nice - listened to a few... missing one important thing ...... drums... those songs bedded down nicely with the drums and now when not there you miss them. ... especially proud mary

Yes, but if not drums then it would have helped if the bass line was given more prominence, as it's an important part in this song.

Gordon Lightfoot is another veteran who stills plays on. He’s 82 now and it’s sad to think he won’t be with us much longer.

Here he is playing on Canada Day last year (1 July) two of his songs: I'll Tag Along and his signature If You Could Read My Mind (skip forward to 3:50 if you just want to hear the latter - and plenty of other versions sung by a younger Lightfoot to be found on YouTube).

There was a story in Variety magazine last year that reprises his life and career on the release of a new documentary about Lightfoot.

‘Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind’: Film Review

And check out Rick Beato’s musical deconstruction of If You Could Read My Mind as part of his ‘What Makes This Song Great?’ series on YouTube. It’s interesting to hear how a studio producer picks out the song’s unique characteristics, and how the different musical elements are brought together to create the sound that crackled out of our transistor radios all those years ago.

One of my favourites, makes me want to dress like Rambo and put a couple of magazine belts across my chest.

Makes me want to put a flower in my hair and sing give peace a chance! Great song but as John Fogerty explains it was all about class and elitism.
Quote from Wiki.
The song has been widely used to protest against military actions as well as elitism in a broader sense in Western society, particularly in the United States; as an added consequence of its popularity, it has even been used in completely unrelated situations, such as to advertise blue jeans.[13] It was played at a campaign rally for Donald Trump, who was himself an example of the subject of the song, the "fortunate son" of wealth, according to Fogerty.[14] Fogerty later issued a cease and desist order, again noting that Trump obtained a draft deferment.[15]

Bruce Springsteen, Dave Grohl, and Zac Brown attracted criticism when they performed the song together at the November 2014 Concert for Valor in Washington D.C.. Fogerty, a military veteran, defended their song choice.[16]

Latest posts

Back