What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cover versions come in all shapes and sizes. I like the shape of this one.

Love it when modern artists cover the great old toons of the past. Keeps them alive for a new generation to discover, and some covers are ‘better’ (always a personal value judgement) than the originals or give a new interpretations to old classics.

But for some great old numbers there are few modern cover versions, if any. The songs in Meat Loaf’s huge 1977 ‘Bat Out Of Hell’ album are a case in point. Who could possibly reprise the sweaty, lascivious, flamboyant, operatic performances of Meat in full voice with Jim Steinman hammering the piano?

Here’s Meat live and in his prime when Meat Loaf took to the road and played Rockplast in Frankfurt, Germany, in 1978: Paradise By The Dashboard Light (the rest of the concert is also there, links to individual songs are time-stamped below in the video description)

(The female singer is Karla DeVito, not Ellen Foley who sang for the studio recording of the album, and in the contemporary music video which featured Karla lip syncing to Ellen’s vocal. But here Karla sings herself and she does a fine job (and it’s a wonder she could sing at all after Meat had his tongue down her throat on stage).

Last edited:
Newly released cover by the MonaLisa Twins of Everybody’s Talking, a 1966 song made famous by Harry Nilsson’s version which was used as the soundtrack in the 1969 film Midnight Cowboy.

Whereas Nilsson’s cover used soaring violins to capture the feeling of lonesome pining for freedom as sung in the lyrics, here the girls use just their voices to same effect. Some fine and sensitive guitar work too.

The great Denny Laine, co-founder of the Moody Blues and Wings, died age 79 just a few weeks ago.

A multi-instrumentalist he mainly played guitar, and for a long time was the side kick of Paul McCartney in those uncertain post Beatles years of the 1970s. While Linda was McCartney’s soul mate, Denny was the musical wind beneath his Wings. Denny co-wrote Mull of Kintyre with Paul and, fittingly, they appear side-by-side in the opening sequence of the music video.

RIP Denny. Jam on with Jimmy.

EDIT: And here he is singing Go Now, a hit song from his days with the Moody Blues. Reprised for the Wings Over America tour of 1976 with Paul and Linda providing backing vocals. Great song, great voice.

Last edited:
Have only taken a peek into this amazing compilation from Paris in 1968, but what I’ve seen is extraordinary (almost as much as for the dancing audiences members as for the music). I’m going to start playing the whole 1 ½ hours at 11pm tonight to take me through into the new year.

Some sensational early live performances by the likes of The Who, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, The Small Faces, and, towards the end, a young Joe Cocker belting out his just released signature tune I’ll Get By With A little Help From My Friends. So much raw musical talent on display.

And I hope in 2024 you too can get by with a little help from your friends and a few beers. Best wishes brewers.

^
Good idea but wouldn't the Internet make answering the questions more a test of who's fastest at searching via Google than a test of knowledge?

But I'd like to see your beer/music associations.

On this day in 1986 Dire Straits fifth album ‘Bothers in Arms’ went to No 1 in the UK where it spent 14 weeks (10 weeks consecutively). And here in Australia was at No 1 for 34 weeks.

With its success Dire Straits became the first band to sell over one million albums on those new, shiny fangled things called CDs. So many great tracks, including So Far Away, Why Worry, the now censored (even here on AHB) Money For Nothing, and the upbeat and bouncy Walk Of Life:

And the guitar Mark Knopfler played on Walk Of Life (a red Schecter Van Nuys T-style) went up for auction at Christies in London a few days ago along with dozens of Knopfler’s other guitars. They all received extraordinary bids:

“Staggering”: Mark Knopfler’s Guitar Collection has sold at auction for over $11 million – with a record-breaking ’59 Burst sale and 28 guitars fetching over $100K

Prior to the auction Knopfler gave this interview about his music and his relationship with his guitars:

Last edited:
Meant to post this yesterday on the 48th anniversary of its broadcast.

It’s A Long Way To The Top - one of the coolest rock anthems ever, led by the late, great Bon Scott of AC/DC. This performance was broadcast on the show Bandstand from the studios of TCN 9 in Sydney on 21st Feb 1976.

An infectiously thumping beat, pithy real world lyrics, and bagpipes! What’s not to love? The early headbangers did, and as can be seen here the girls loved to dance to it (the girl in the green dress is special).

This is not the same audio as heard on the album track. The story goes that earlier that day the TCN 9 sound engineer took the band away to the Natec Sound Studios in Bligh Street, Sydney. There they recorded the audio which Scott later mimed to in front of the cameras at TCN 9. And a few days later the band was down in Melbourne being filmed playing the same song on the back of a flatbed truck as it drove down Swanson Street. This was for showing on ABC-TV’s Countdown show, the audio for which was over-dubbed from the album recording.

(NB. This was broadcast on the second iteration of Bandstand. The first ran from 1957 to 1972 and was compered by TCN 9’s ‘square’ newsreader Brian Henderson. After Bandstand was axed in 1972 TCN 9 made an abortive attempt to reboot the show in 1976. The new show was modelled on the UK’s Top of the Pops and although it was produced at TCN 9 in Sydney it was compered by the Melbourne-based host of GTV 9’s Cartoon Corner show. And if you watch the video to the very end you’ll see him bounce up on the set - a young Daryl Somers at the start of his career.)

Last edited:
What can I say?
I'm a sucker for hot Jewish girls who can play note perfect Rush covers.

Scott Bradlee does some awesome things (and some almost so) but the list of talented people is amazing on PMJ.
Real rabbit hole.

I was flipping through stations and came across this classic.

Speaking of classics (or should have been classics) this Australian band Country Radio might have been up there with CCR if they'd gotten airplay in the US, or gone to California where Poco and Eagles were fusing country and rock with success.

They had great vocal harmonies and rich musicianship featuring harmonica, mandolin and keyboard. Here’s their Gypsy Queen from 1972.

And here they are in 1973 playing their Wintersong at a hot and dusty Sunbury Pop Festival - billed as Victoria’s (somewhat belated) answer to Woodstock.

Lead singer and song writer Greg Quill left Australia for Canada in 1974 and for a long time was the music columnist on the Toronto Star newspaper. He died in Canada in 2013 age 66.

Last edited:
All round seen lots of stuff I like posted so far. Good to see Elvis and Eddie Cochran crack a mention. Good call for Pistols, bigD. Got into them big time and also Clash in high school. Also love Beatles/Stones/Dylan. And Joni Mitchell. Yeah occasionally bring out Zeppelin especially the remastered double album on a good car stereo. (It was tripping music many moons ago when I was younger and stupider.) Less often Pink Floyd/Doors. Don't mind Sabbath, Iron Maiden when someone else puts it on. Should put in AC/DC just to tip the hat. Also Alice, went through the obligatory Alice phase. Discovering Gram Parsons in last couple years. Should mention the Gourds just to be obscure. And Grateful Dead. Nirvana changed my life so put them in there and Foo Fighters and The Posies. Beastie Boys also changed my life in a smaller way The highest pinnacle of my musical tastes at the moment is Tom Waits. But today I'm listening to Rancid "Out Come The Wolves" (in my personal top 10), Jon Spencer Blues Explosion "Orange" and that new John Butler Trio album, it's a beauty.

...just to name a few...

This wasn't their most popular album, but I liked it.

This Australian prodigy is just incredible. Been playing since he was six. Now at 14 he’s developing a voice as good as his guitar playing. Here he is a few days ago impeccably shredding Bill Withers’ Ain't No Sunshine while on tour in the US.

Latest posts

Back