What are you brewing 2020 and 2021 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any advise on this? I am planning to brew this on Friday. Hopefully the Oat Hulls will prevent me from getting a stuck mash / sparge in my Guten. I am hoping to not do reiterated mashing to make this work

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins)
0.36 kg Oat Hulls (0.0 SRM)

6.10 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt (2.5 SRM) Grain 3 78.8 %
0.64 kg Gladfield Gladiator Malt (5.1 SRM) Grain 4 8.3 %
0.64 kg Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt (56.3 SRM) Grain 5 8.3 %

28.00 g Simcoe Boil 90.0 min
14.00 g Columbus Boil 30.0 min
14.00 g Simcoe Boil 30.0 min
21.00 g Columbus Boil 15.0 min
14.00 g Simcoe - Boil 15.0 min
28.00 g Cascade, NZ Boil 10.0 min
14.00 g Columbus Boil 0.0 min
14.00 g Simcoe Boil 0.0 min

14.00 g Amarillo - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
14.00 g Centennial - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
14.00 g Columbus - Dry Hop 5.0
14.00 g Simcoe - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
14.00 g Amarillo - Dry Hop 3.0 Days
14.00 g Centennial - Dry Hop 3.0 Days
14.00 g Columbus [ - Dry Hop

2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 14 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.1 %
Bitterness: 116.7 IBUs
Est Color: 10.9 SRM

Any advise on this? I am planning to brew this on Friday. Hopefully the Oat Hulls will prevent me from getting a stuck mash / sparge in my Guten. I am hoping to not do reiterated mashing to make this work
6.10 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt (2.5 SRM) Grain 3 78.8 %
0.64 kg Gladfield Gladiator Malt (5.1 SRM) Grain 4 8.3 %
0.64 kg Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt (56.3 SRM) Grain 5 8.3 %

Last minute change...I swapped the Gladfield American Malt for Marris Otter. It was actually an accident, I was just grabbing my base grain, and by default that tends to be MO. Oh well. Maybe it will be pleasant surprise :)

On the list this weekend is the poorly named "session imperial" stout. I found an article on downsizing RIS grainbills with the intention of keeping the fuller body and wide range of malty roasty flavours. I also got the impression this recipe wasn't actually tested (the OG/SG/ABV didn't line up at all), so i could definitely end up with a lower alcohol mess of too many speciality malts.

But, here is my iteration:

OG 1.045
FG 1.013
ABV 4.2%

68.2% Maris Otter
8% Light Crystal
8% Dark Crystal
5.3% Flaked Barley
5.3% Brown Malt
3.2% Chocolate Malt
2% Roasted Barley

28 IBU of columbus at 60 mins
11.5 IBU of columbus at 10 minutes

A risky brew, but hopefully it pays off.

On the list this weekend is the poorly named "session imperial" stout.
I just brewed something very similar, I was going for more of an American porter. Had a fairly difficult brew day as even though I wet conditioned the grain it was a bit too much for my BZ and hence efficiency took a big hit (was meant to be coming out at 6.4% but looking more like 5.5%).

Had a few more malts in this than I normally would..
  • 67.6% Gladfield American Ale Malt
  • 8.6% Weyermann Carapils/Carafoam
  • 7.2% Weyermann Carared
  • 5% Simpsons Brown Malt
  • 4.3% Thomas Fawcett Barley, Flaked
  • 3.6% Joe White Maltings Chocolate Malt
  • 2.2% Simpsons Crystal Medium
  • 1.4% Weyermann Carafa III

Going to be more hoppy than your typical porter (truthfully, I don't know what style this will actually be)..
  • 6 IBU Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) — Mash
  • 16 IBU Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) — Boil 30 min
  • 8 IBU Cascade — Boil 10 min
  • 3 IBU Cascade — Boil 5 min
  • 4 IBU Centennial — Boil 0 min
  • 5 IBU Ella — Boil 0 min
  • Centennial — Dry Hop 4 days
  • Ella — Dry Hop 4 days
Still in the fermenter, coming up to the dry hop, haven't had a taste yet or checked FG.

Right now, boiling an old ale, Robinsons Old Tom copy, listening to Van Morrison on YouTube, whilst enjoying a Belgian blonde (Sunday girl) that isn't fully carbonated yet.

5 kg Marris Otter
550g Caramunich 1
250 g Chocolate malt

54 deg C 20 mins
65 deg C 60 mins
72 deg C 30 mins

Mash-out at 77 and sparge 35 L into the kettle

FWH 30g Pilgrim
40 mins 20g Saaz

Dry hops, 10g EKG and 20g Saaz

End of boil 24 L chilled.

Ferment with Nottingham yeast.

550g sugar into the fermenter on day 4 with the dry hops.

Bulk prime and bottle, forget about for 6-12 months.

Could you tell us what the late addition of sugar does for the brew. Have not heard of this before.
Sure, sugar ferments almost completely so does not add any body or sweetness to the finished beer, it was common practice in English breweries to add inverted sugars to brews as it was also cheaper than grains. I will reduce the amount to 450g as I got slightly better conversion in the mash than I was expecting.

You can add the sugar to the kettle but you will throw some away with the trub so adding to the fermenter is more efficient and not difficult as I am dry hopping the brew anyway.

Also because sugar is easy for the yeast to digest they tend to go for it first but I like them to do the hard work on the more complex sugars first, then when they are past their best I give them their sugary desert which is easier for them to deal with and gives them the best shot at complete fermentation.

Pink Floyd put it well, "you can't have your pudding if you don't eat your meat"

Bottled my Tropical Stout yesterday, didn't use turbinado sugar, in the boil I used soft brown sugar and soft brown sugar for bottling. Came in at 7% so not to heavy. Tasted the dregs in the bottling bucket, got a great hint of licorice would be from the sugar. Will have to resist drinking it for a couple of months.

i've got bugger all time to brew between here and mid nov, so i'm going my first 70L brew out of a standard gf,
9kg all grain, then add 2x 1.5L liquid malts and maybe a kilo of dextrose in the late boil, = 3 fermenters.
just to get an easy drinking bank up, this weekend and repeat next weekend.
often go 8-9 kg mash and split to 2 fermenters, but 3 will be a new one. won't be my finest hour, but i'll have something to drink.
i'll even throw in an extra hop pellet or 2, just in case.

Been awhile!! Using up some older grain and hops!!

Dark Wheat IPA

OG: 1.051
FG: 1.009
ABV: 5.6%

7.50 kg Wheat Malt
1.25 kg Pilsen Malt
1.25 kg Munich 10L
1.00 kg Crystal, Light
0.35 kg Roasted Barley
0.25 kg Acid Malt
50.00 g Northern Brewer [8.80 %] First Wort 60
20.00 g Centennial [8.20 %] 30.0 min
20.00 g Northern Brewer [8.80 %] 30.0 min
25.00 g Centennial [8.20 %] 5.0 min
25.00 g Northern Brewer [8.80 %] 5.0 min

Mash: BIAB:

55deg 15m
67deg 75m
75deg 10m
60min Boil then Cube.

Safebrew Abbaye Yeast

sorry for chiming in late - but for me, 2020 is the year of the hefeweizen (to be honest, I started in 2019); to date, im at recipe number 12. i've just recently 'harvester' or 'recovered' yeast from Schneider weisse tap 7 bottles, and using the wyermann hefeweizen recipe.

My next one is Hop Back's Summer Lightning, I had Styrian Goldings for the late additions but have a feeling I am out so maybe will use EKG
21 litres.
OG 1,048 FG 1,011 IBU 45 SRM 5,13 Mash pH 5,44

Voyager Pale Compass 95.2%
Gladfield Gladiator 4.8%

Challenger 50.7% @ 60 mins
Styrian Goldings 21.7% @ 10 mins
Styrian Goldings 13% @ whirlpool
Styrian Goldings 14.5% dry hop.

Yeast S04

My next one is Hop Back's Summer Lightning, I had Styrian Goldings for the late additions but have a feeling I am out so maybe will use EKG
21 litres.
OG 1,048 FG 1,011 IBU 45 SRM 5,13 Mash pH 5,44

Voyager Pale Compass 95.2%
Gladfield Gladiator 4.8%

Challenger 50.7% @ 60 mins
Styrian Goldings 21.7% @ 10 mins
Styrian Goldings 13% @ whirlpool
Styrian Goldings 14.5% dry hop.

Yeast S04
This is a beer I've been wanting to brew as well.
I was lucky enough to meet the head brewer of hop back brewery in 97 at a meet the brewers night i hosted at a pub in London. I'd be keen to see how your brew turns out.

This is a beer I've been wanting to brew as well.
I was lucky enough to meet the head brewer of hop back brewery in 97 at a meet the brewers night i hosted at a pub in London. I'd be keen to see how your brew turns out.
Pretty sure the recipe was from Hop Back Brewery printed in BYO but I have tweaked it a bit, I think the aroma hops were EKG originally. I will have a look for the recipe.

Don't have time or energy to brew. Couldn't let my fermenter sit idle.
  • 1x kit coopers lager
  • 1x brew enhancer 2
  • 30g EKG steeped for 10 minutes in boiled water.
I've come full circle from 4 tap keezer + braumeister to kit and bottling.

Pretty sure the recipe was from Hop Back Brewery printed in BYO but I have tweaked it a bit, I think the aroma hops were EKG originally. I will have a look for the recipe.
This is the recipe I found on beer smith 19L batch
1600033570656.png

Brewed a couple i found in the database, Hefeweizen, Czech Pils and a slightly modified Pale Ale that i bought as an FWK a few years ago.
Just about to start on a Porter that was suggested to me.

Back