What An Incredible Gift

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
One of my earliest memories was the Queen's Coronation - I was about 4. We went to a coronation party at a local Community Hall in Fenham, Newcastle on Tyne UK and I was devastated because I didn't win the tin of toffees which was the prize for the 100 yard dash for the kindy kids. <_<

In those days TV just starting off, no ATMs, no PCs, no GPS, no supermarkets, space travel just science fiction, rationing cards that we had to take to the corner store for three eggs a week allowance. All in my lifetime.

Well I've lived to see the latest results from another Mars Landing

Probably quite a few years left in the old dog yet, but shit what a total gift from the Universe to live in these times and see what I've seen. And remind all you younger guys that you should savour the moment, and what will you see in your lives, and what your kids will see.

Forget the current negative media-generated shit, Golden years ahead.

:) :) :)

When is the first Midnight Train setting down on Mars?

That would sort out any 'life' on the red planet.

When I lived in Newcastle as a teen, Newkie Brown was referred to as "Journey into Space" after a popular UK radio series at the time. Maybe I should rename Midnight Train as Journey to Mars B)

One of my earliest memories was the Queen's Coronation - I was about 4. We went to a coronation party at a local Community Hall in Fenham, Newcastle on Tyne UK and I was devastated because I didn't win the tin of toffees which was the prize for the 100 yard dash for the kindy kids. <_<

In those days TV just starting off, no ATMs, no PCs, no GPS, no supermarkets, space travel just science fiction, rationing cards that we had to take to the corner store for three eggs a week allowance. All in my lifetime.

Well I've lived to see the latest results from another Mars Landing

Probably quite a few years left in the old dog yet, but shit what a total gift from the Universe to live in these times and see what I've seen. And remind all you younger guys that you should savour the moment, and what will you see in your lives, and what your kids will see.

Forget the current negative media-generated shit, Golden years ahead.

:) :) :)

I watched that live on the internet Bribie and was totally gobsmacked. The complexity of getting that thing on the surface of Mars had me believing that no way it would work. Then not two minutes later it's beaming pictures back.

I watched that live on the internet Bribie and was totally gobsmacked. The complexity of getting that thing on the surface of Mars had me believing that no way it would work. Then not two minutes later it's beaming pictures back.

Ditto.

I have been watching some of the Olympics, but I have to say there was more suspense and excitement in the last 15 minutes of that landing than I have so far seen in the whole games this year.

I just so impressed with how faultless the whole thing went down...considering how many things could have gone wrong!

Bloody glorious!

I was in the car driving home and had it on the radio, gave me goose bumps thinking about the engineering effort and quality that had to go into the thing in order to get it to work so flawlessly.

Great stuff.

As for memories, I remember sitting on the roof of our old tin garage in Ballarat night after night as a young kid (8? have to do the calcs.....), watching Skylab fly over each night, getting brighter and brighter, till it came over no more.....

meteor%20crash(2).jpg

****....LOOK OUT !!!

Ditto.

I have been watching some of the Olympics, but I have to say there was more suspense and excitement in the last 15 minutes of that landing than I have so far seen in the whole games this year.

I just so impressed with how faultless the whole thing went down...considering how many things could have gone wrong!

Bloody glorious!

I loved the reaction of the engineers and scientists when it touched down, bet they had a couple of very early morning beers.

I like how they gave a 3 month life on the last two units, one went for 6 years, and the other's still going.

Back