What An Idiot!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuaneS

Reaction score
Finally got 2 stir plates going yesterday, spinning nicely, not to much rattling.
Got starters made up last night, all in position after some swapping around, raced out this morning to make sure both a still spinning away nicely, only to discover I have forgotten to label which is which.

Is there anyway I can determine which is which....taste, smell etc

Starters were 1056 American Ale

2782 staro prague

Complete F#*king idiot

Your just gonna have to taste/smell them, shouldn't be to big of a deal. The 1056 should be easy to spot out, it shouldn't be to eastery etc.

Finally got 2 stir plates going yesterday, spinning nicely, not to much rattling.
Got starters made up last night, all in position after some swapping around, raced out this morning to make sure both a still spinning away nicely, only to discover I have forgotten to label which is which.

Is there anyway I can determine which is which....taste, smell etc

Starters were 1056 American Ale

2782 staro prague

Complete F#*king idiot

the staro prague will stink like rotten egg gas (sulfur) toward the end of fermentation of the starter, the difference should be quite discernable

the staro prague is a beautiful yeast, pitch it at 10 deg and ferment it at 10 deg and you will end up with one of the finest bohpils you have ever made

Thanks, will let em run today and see if i can decern the difference when i step them up

1056 is a pretty bad flocculator compared to 2782 so probably the best way would be to see which one clears fastest

I do notice, one is much further along in the ferment, the 1056 was a much fresher yeast, the smack pack was fully swelled after a few hours, is it same to assume, it is the 1056, the staro prague took a few days to completly swell

I do notice, one is much further along in the ferment, the 1056 was a much fresher yeast, the smack pack was fully swelled after a few hours, is it same to assume, it is the 1056, the staro prague took a few days to completly swell

what are you brewing with the staro prague ?

attempting a munich helles

4.98 kg Weyermann pilsner

0.17 Kg Melanoidin malt

0.14 Kg Acidulated malt

0.14 Kg Carapils malt

20.00 gm Tettnang ( 60 mins)

20.00 gm Tettnang ( 20 mins)

25.00 gm Tettnang ( 10 mins)

25.00 gm Tettnang ( 0 mins)

attempting a munich helles

4.98 kg Weyermann pilsner

0.17 Kg Melanoidin malt

0.14 Kg Acidulated malt

0.14 Kg Carapils malt

20.00 gm Tettnang ( 60 mins)

20.00 gm Tettnang ( 20 mins)

25.00 gm Tettnang ( 10 mins)

25.00 gm Tettnang ( 0 mins)

mmm, i've only ever used it for making bohpils

let us know how it turns out

Let the starters ferment out and settle.

One should be more vigorous and remain fairly cloudy. The other should be sulphuric and drop clear.

As others have suggested you should be able to differentiate the two yeasts by sensory analysis (how it looks, smells and tastes).

However, if that fails, there is another more involved method you could use.
If you took a small sample of each yeast, added it to an amount of fresh starter-wort and heated them (carefully in a water-bath or the like) to incubate the yeasts at above 32C, only the (American) Ale yeast cells will grow, it would be too hot for the (Staro Prague) lager yeast. (Reference page 95 'Yeast' book).

As others have suggested you should be able to differentiate the two yeasts by sensory analysis (how it looks, smells and tastes).

However, if that fails, there is another more involved method you could use.
If you took a small sample of each yeast, added it to an amount of fresh starter-wort and heated them (carefully in a water-bath or the like) to incubate the yeasts at above 32C, only the (American) Ale yeast cells will grow, it would be too hot for the (Staro Prague) lager yeast. (Reference page 95 'Yeast' book).

or conversely, drop the temp to 10 deg, which should put the ale yeast to sleep and not the lager

Back