What Ag Gear Do I Still Need

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I want to know what gear i still need i already have,

- 50l keg
- imersion heater
- Fermentors
- kegs
- general brew gear

What else do i need to get started in ag. I am looking to start relativly small. Any advice would be great

Scotty

I assume the 50L keg is destined to be a boiler :) so you need a mash tun and hot liquor tank apart from that you should be set. Oh and something to chill the beer, easiest is an immersion chiller made from some copper.

The HLT should be at least 20L preferably (bigger the better) and the mash tun well you can start small (20L) and expand later! That would let you do 20L batches.

A grain mill is nice but can be bought later if your HBS will mill the malt.

Once you get started you will be forever improving the brewery :eek:

What containers should i use as the hlt and the mash tun? What has everyone else used?

Scotty,

Check out the gallery for some ideas on what a number of us are using.
I'm using a 30 litre hot water urn for my HLT and an esky for the mash tun.

Beers,
Doc

Scotty said:
What containers should i use as the hlt and the mash tun? What has everyone else used?
HLT can be a stockpot or keg, you could scrape by with 20L but it will cramp your style.
See examples at brewpot.

There are two basic forms of mashtun. One you can heat during the mash and one that is insulated to hold its original temperature - eg an esky. It needs a filter in the bottom of some description. An example of one is at batch sparge which also has a simple method. If you can get one at least 40L that is good but I have mash a 23L batch in a 26L esky.

My setup at this stage is very basic but allows me to brew AG. The most expensive to date is the mash tun, you can find alot of archived posts and pictures in the gallery which shows guys using converted esky's to mash in. I bought a 10 gallon insulated water cooler and a false bottom. Works a treat. Cost me $180 all up, but I went for ease instead of building one. I'm sure if you build one it may cost considerably less.

I also have the 50L keg and immersion heater. There is no tap in the base, just a hole cut in the top. I boil in that and siphon through a filter bag into my fermentor after chilling. I bought 4m of copper pipe from Bunnings and rolled it around a fuel can to shape, also works well in chilling the wort to 20C in around 30 minutes. I may change that in the future when I learn more about hot/cold breaks, but for now I just want to get my technique right.

We have an older style home (80's) and the hot water system in that is geared hotter than what I think the law permits now. Thus, I just turn on the tap and the hot water straight out is 72C. Makes it easy and not having to have a HLT. One day I will probably purchase an urn, but for now that is fine. If it starts to run a little cool, I simply slowly top up with boiling water from the jug while checking with a thermometer.

I am still a very amatuer brewer, but from what I am learning everyday is that you don't need all the bells and whistles to brew AG. Get the basics to get going and get started and you'll never look back.

Best of luck,

Duff.

There has been a topic under electric elements, read that for some ideas.

Plastic is a breeze to work with when making stuff too. Oh, and just get a cheap esky, you should be able to make a 20-40L mash tun complete with false bottom or manifold for under $40.

Cheers, JD

Latest posts

Back