What About A Nice Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Ok you all know I am a lager man , well since mucking about with grains and hops I am ready to have a go at an ale.
Any good recipes ?
Still partial at this stage , but the AG is close , have most of my gear together now

a few tips for pale ale are only use the lightest crystal malt you can get your hands on.
i use carapils which is no darker than pale malt but adds to body,mouthfeel and sweetness etc.
i also use the lightest caramunich which is similar but will add colour also plus a bit more caramal flavour.

i use around 250g of each in a 23 litre batch.
i use pale ale malt but i would say you will get a desent result with your pils malt.

ibu can range from 20-40.

original pale ales were quite bland like coopers pale ale.
what i do to make them rock is use cascade for everything.

i'll type out a recipe later if you like.would you like a coopers(english) type or a american pale ale.

Jayse,
Coopers mate , love Coopers pale ale

coopers pale ale is sort of a british pale ale but it is much lower in hop bitterness at only 15-20ibu.

with english pale ales you don't need any crystal malt at all.they don't have any real malt or caramal flavour.so they are ussually brewed using all pale malt.hard core brewers would settle for nothing less than marris otter floor malted pale ale malt supposedly the very best pale ale malt.this grain is fairly highly modified unlike the pils malt.you would then mash at 68-69c so you end up getting even better body,mouthfeel and sweetness etc than you would using a lager malt with crystal malt.

in this style it is very aceptable to use other adjuncts such as corn, sugar and flaked maize up to 15%.

with the yeast it is common to get some nice fruit flavours.
then the hop flavour and aroma has to be there but not to strong.
the only difference between that and coopers is the english ones call for minimum bitterness of 30 ibu.

for your partial you could use a coopers l.m.e can.
and 2.5kg of your pils malt mash at 68-69c.
or prefer 2 kg pale ale malt and 200g wheat malt and 100g inverted sugar.

than
about 15g (15-20 ibu at 11%a.a)p.o.r for 60 mins.
than 30g for 10 mins.
and 30g 5 mins.

i'd would only use whole hops.

use the yeast from a can of hopped coopers stuff unless you want to culture some from a bottle of coopers but start it up well before and airate well as ussuall.
i haven't really found another english yeast with a nice fruit flavour i like. but the american II 1272 is wicked.

for your first all grain i would use just your pils malt at 100%.
then all hallertau to 25-30 ibu.
30g 10 mins.
30g 5 mins.
yeast of your choice pretty much.and you could go less hops at the end but no more.

heres a basic all grain pale ale. for a english one use ekg for a american one use cascade.
for yeast the american would be 1056 and the english would be 1028.

4.5-5 kg pale ale malt.
250 g caramunich 40l

30 ibu ekg or cascade for 60 mins roughly 45g.

30 g ekg or cascade for 15 mins

30 g ekg or cascade for 5 mins.

o.g roughly 1.053.f.g around 1.014 alc around 5.1%

for a aussie version use p.o.r instead to only max 25 ibu.
and the coopers yeast.also you could leave out the crystal malt or even swap it for wheat.

sounds the same as Grumpys
Made that and liked it

apart from the hops
P.R.W. are not quite tastie enough for me these days
:ph34r: :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back