What a week!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good4whatAlesU

Reaction score
Our beautiful baby girl arrived last Wednesday afternoon! totally stoked! A good 7+ pounder of 53.5cm.
But unfortunately she swallowed a bit of gunk on the way out and had to be resussed, during which one of her compromised little lungs blew out.. . .
So.. a dozen people in the delivery room racing about and little one is wisked away from mum with no cuddles allowed. Straight on an ambulance plane to Sydney - ventilation and morphine. Mum and I gave chase next morning on first flight. Here now in Sydney 5 days and thank god she is slowly on the mend. Hopefully home by the end of the week. The nurses here are angels.
Not really the start we envisioned, but we are not the worst down here, some very sick little babies.
What a week!

mate went threw a similar thing with the second but not to the same extreme.
good luck with it all and hopefully your both getting your cuddles in. congrats and speak up if you need something I'm sure we can find someone close to help out.

I can only imagine. Other than that many stories of common resilience of babies and parents to extreme situations worthy of stories to be told hah. Congtrats! Hang in there. :cool:

Thanks barls and dcb, it's scary stuff indeed. But they are really looking after us down here, can't speak highly enough of the neonatal ICU north shore. Blessed to be in Australia in this sort of situation.

mate we had both of ours at rns. i can't speak highly enough of the staff and the way we were treated. btw its only a short 5 block walk to beer cartel from there. just saying.

Had a similar thing happen when our twins were born 10 years ago, thanks to the medical system we have in Australia everything turned out ok. I backed off a few percent on my "Tax Dollars" whinging after that event.
All the best G4WAU, feeling helpless for someone you care so much about is a tough situation to be in for the both of you especially straight after the birth. Sounds like she's on the mend though so good luck over the next few days.
Cheers.

Mate I've got my second due in 2 weeks time and I can only imagine how that felt. Bloody hell it would be terrifying but I'm absolutely stoked that everything is on the up buddy. Congratulations!!!

Bugger - glad she's on the mend mate. I could have lost my Mrs and our first born but the medical team at Sale Hospital didn't let that happen! He never managed to latch on to the boob due to early separation from Mum and has had a large Hemangioma between his eyes that has gradually reduced in size over the years. He is a fine young lad now and I wish the best for you all.

There are a few of us very nearby... as well as a home brew shop. Let us know if you need the support/distraction.

Thanks very much guys. Little one is on a 3 hourly care rotation, so it's a bit tricky to get away.
Droid true about the feeding, currently getting tucker through a tube into the stomach for first 5 days so tricky to get her suckling now, but Mum is a very obstinate one so we'll see how that battle goes.

I remember spending 2 months in the HD unit with my first born (premmy) in Wollongong, her mum and I were on rotating shifts at the hospital, it was both mentally and physically exhausting. Though once we got her home everything else seemed like a cake walk. Glad Mum and Bub are on the mend, and she'll definitely enjoy the tail of strife at her 18th/ when she makes you a grandfather.

Glad to hear it's all getting better and good luck. Not fun when things don't go well.

We occasionally end up in hospitals when daughter #3's diabetes plays up a little (though it's been a long time). When I see some really sick kids or kids terminal, I don't complain so much.

Onwards and upwards, good to hear it's all good.

Hi G4WAU, sounds like your daughter is going to be a trial from the start. So glad that everything seems to be working out for you and Mrs G4WAU.
All the best.
Regards Chris

Transferred back to Lismore base hospital where they are trying to wean little one off the oxygen. Hopefully here only for a couple of days then home!
Mother and Father in law have been camped out at our unit for two weeks and has discovered how to work the keg and where the bottle stash is, so not sure what I'll find upon returning home Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure she'll be fine. Lismore's under a lot of stress because of the Lying Nasty Party consistently underfunding hospitals, but the staff are legendary.

Our second guy had meningitis a couple of days after birth - that was in Nambour - (in those days when it was a slow labour they used to drill a sensor lead into the scalp to check oxygen levels whatever, dunno if still done).
He spent the first three weeks of his life in hospital, later went on to win medals in Queensland state maths comps. :noworries:
Now you can get back to brewing. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back