What A Stuff-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger

Reaction score
On Saturday i had some guys over to have a look at all grain brewing, the brew went very well, we were discussion the in and out of all grain brewing.

When the first hop addition was ready to go in I went to the fridge to get it, had a glance at the recipe and measured out the hops. What the problem was I put not only the wrong hops in but the wrong amount. I now have a beer with a bitterness of 19 IBU instead of 36 IBU's.

Is there any way of bumping IBU's up, I have 44 litters of under hoped beer fermenting.

Stagger
:angry:

Stagger said:
On Saturday i had some guys over to have a look at all grain brewing, the brew went very well, we were discussion the in and out of all grain brewing.

When the first hop addition was ready to go in I went to the fridge to get it, had a glance at the recipe and measured out the hops. What the problem was I put not only the wrong hops in but the wrong amount. I now have a beer with a bitterness of 19 IBU instead of 36 IBU's.

Is there any way of bumping IBU's up, I have 44 litters of under hoped beer fermenting.

Stagger
:angry:
[post="71909"][/post]​
How about doing a small mash and making 11 litres of 114 IBU beer to blend. You should then end up with 55 litres of beer with a bitterness of (44x19 + 11x114) / 55 = 38 IBUs.

cheers,
Colin

You could buy some isohop extract from your hbs.

Good Day
You could boil up some extract with some high alpha hops, cool and add to the fermenter.

Why not just do a hop tea? You could even boil for a while to increase the bitterness.

I'd just boil the hops in a saucepan with a litre or so of water, then cool and add to your brew. I think it would be best to do this when racking to secondary.

OK. I'm in a *similar* boat to Stagger. I did two "Coopers Pale Ale" clones on the weekend, and only used 25gm American Amarillo (couldn't get POR) as a bittering hops (60 min). I went by someone elses recipe, "by the book".

I've now decided that I want to add some hop flavour and aroma to one of the two fermenters (better late than never). I've got 50gm Amarillo in the freezer, and am prepared to experiment on one of the batches. Any suggestions? Hop tea? Dry pellets?

Ben said:
OK. I'm in a *similar* boat to Stagger. I did two "Coopers Pale Ale" clones on the weekend, and only used 25gm American Amarillo (couldn't get POR) as a bittering hops (60 min). I went by someone elses recipe, "by the book".

I've now decided that I want to add some hop flavour and aroma to one of the two fermenters (better late than never). I've got 50gm Amarillo in the freezer, and am prepared to experiment on one of the batches. Any suggestions? Hop tea? Dry pellets?
[post="73234"][/post]​

You will not have a coopers clone using amarillo for bittering and especially not if you plan to late hop with them. coopers pale ale has only one addition of POR for bittering to about 29 IBUs and definately no aroma or flavour hops.

however the amarillo will give you a nice hoppy beer, and if you want a bit more aroma throw about 15 g into the primary.

Cheers
Andrew

I went for the hop tea, i am kegging it tonight but i must say it has fited the problem it tast great out of the fermenter. So hop tea would be the go. it worked for me.

Stagger

I got lazy, and threw 20g into one of the fermenters. I'll just see what happens.

About them amarillos. I'm now drinking the first brew I made using these for bitterness, and I'm impressed/hooked.

40g pellets accidentally turned out to be the perfect amount. The next batch has 50g. Could be even better

Well I'm a pan handlin man handlin
High rollin post holin dust bowlin daddy
I ain't got no blood veins
I just got them four lanes
Of hard Amarillo highway - Terry Allen (Lubbock, Texas)

Way too late with this answer, but it may help somone else.

So long as the beer has only just started fermenting, run 25% of the volume back into the boiler, add some more bittering hops, boil it up, chill and add back to the fermenter.

If you have a two dispensing tap setup, it would be great to have some low IBU and high IBU beers on tap, so you can blend till your hearts content when pouring.

Latest posts

Back