Weyermann munich type 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Not sure if its been asked before.

Could anyone tell me what flavour ill be getting from this malt up to 80 to 100% of the grist?

I have a sack and was thinking munich dunkel or something.

Thanks

Gav

Actually I made a Munich Dunkel recently with it.

71% Weyermann Munich 2
20% Pilsner
4% black patent (didn't have any less roasty grains e.g carafa special, but I enjoy roast).
4% wheat malt
OG - 1.050
FG - 1.013
IBU - 25

It turned out quite malty. How would I describe it, a bit too sweet malty/munichy. I think it could have used something else to balance it. Maybe more hops or even a lower mashing temperature or some more roast for my preference.
I have had people describe munich malt as toasted bread crust from whole wheat bread. I am not sure how accurate that is, since I know munich malt I say "it tastes like munich malt", but thats not helpful if you don't know what it tastes like in a beer.

I only use it at 12% for my Munich Dunkel recipe. I also use it a bit more heavy handed in baltic porter.

It's richly sweet, it needs increased bittering in order to balance it out, but I love it.

Basically wherever recipes ask for Munich I or light Munich, I use Munich II. The only exception is if the beer needs to be really light.

It's sweet, bready melanoidin and delicious. Perfect for a dunkel, 70-100% is a good amount.

Wicked, thanks for the replies. Ill try 80% munich 2 and 20% pils. Mash low and long and up the bitterness.
I love munich 1. I recon it gives a real bready oaty flavour.
Thanks again

Love Weyernann's or Best Munich II. Personally, I would not go quite as high as 80%. At 50% they're potent.

Interestingly, Weyermann's "Munich" LME and DME are from 50% Pils malt, 25% Vienna and 25% Melanoidin, no Munich. Seems odd, but it's consistent with Weyermann's description of melanoidin malt as super-Munich.

Another player is Briess Borlander Munich, though at the present AUD/USD exchange rates, it's pretty much disappeared here. Official specs put it a little darker than German Munich II, and it's really big in flavour. Briess uses it at 50% in their LME and DME.

I'd call Borlander Munich 2 1/2 and melanoidin malt Munich III.

interesting insights on the grains available; it's a bit more limited here in Singapore, but there is a chap to sells wholesale Weyermann to homebrewers if you hit a min order. I put in for 4x25kg bags (pills, pale ale, wheat and Munich 2) that should see me good for a while.

keen to see how the Munich 2 fits into the recipes im more used to, im guessing treat it like an amber ale malt and all should be good to go.

melanoidin is one of my go-to inclusions for hefeweizen, always adds a nice flavour.

Last edited:
Back