Weyermann Malt Extracts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_010

Curry Master
Reaction score
Stumbled across this product on the craftbrewer website....look interesting for extract and partial brewers.

Has anyone used them yet and what are their comments? Is 4kg worth $50 (which would buy a lot of grain)?

A description example is thus:

MUNICH AMBER

* light brown, unhopped extract with a high concentration, produced from Weyermann Munich Malt Type I
* it is produced by a decoction mashing process
* the malt extract tastes sweet with a well-balanced malt aroma
* Weyermann Munich Amber Extract produces typical Munich Beers, Maerzen, Festival Beers and Bock Beers

There has been another thread on this recently and Ross got them in because he was being pestered for them so presumably a demand exists. However they would have been cheaper if the A$ hadn't devalued.

Considering that they are presumably a cut above the Wander Goop that goes into Morgans or whatever - and three cans of that (4.5 kg) can set you back over forty bucks, they are probably still in the ballpark for partial / extract brewers.

My extract days are over but would be interested in knowing how anyone went with them.

I used some about 6 years ago, it was old stock (and cheap as) and had darkened but was still of excellent quality, far better than the Mars Bar extract we usually get.

K

Thats very expensive. I get 1.5kg Coopers extract cans for $9 delivered

Bit of a difference in quality though I suspect Mantis.

Still doesn't want me to try extract again though.

Cheers.

Direct from Coopers with 10% off for being a member
robot-chicken.jpg

cheep cheep

stagga.

I used some about 6 years ago, it was old stock (and cheap as) and had darkened but was still of excellent quality, far better than the Mars Bar extract we usually get.

K

I'm tossing up whether to use this extract or mash a kg or so of munich, in terms of effort and time would it be worth it?

On my first thought I am contemplating a mash...

I am tempted to use the rauch exctract with good lager yeast and some noble hops... I have a Schlenker habit that hurts.

Has anyone tried this extract how many litres of beer do you get from a container?

Pumpy :)

Pumpy,

I'm about to brew the Rauch - I'll let you know how it comes out if you're interested.

cheers Ross

Pumpy,

I'm about to brew the Rauch - I'll let you know how it comes out if you're interested.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross I was thinking of giving the Maibock a try

Hey Pumpy, you are an AG brewer - why not just use weyermann grain - the real deal!

Hey Pumpy, you are an AG brewer - why not just use weyermann grain - the real deal!

Yes TD,

I know but I never ever used those extracts, just went from kits to All Grain and people say you can make good beer from them .

Pumpy,

cheers Ross
I have one of those too.
Which yeast are you gonna use, Ross?
I was thinking W2206?
I did a double decocted Rauchmalz beer (with the same grain bill as the Weyermann extract) a while back and received feedback that it was too smoky.
Keen to see how this one turns out.

I have one of those too.
Which yeast are you gonna use, Ross?
I was thinking W2206?
I did a double decocted Rauchmalz beer (with the same grain bill as the Weyermann extract) a while back and received feedback that it was too smoky.
Keen to see how this one turns out.

Hi Les,

I'm going to use the trusty old Swiss Lager, got a real love affair with this yeast for good clean beers.
Feeling a bit like a newb doing this extract as it's been that long. Hopefully knock it out while the Wit I'm about to make is mashing in. Doing a full volume 30 min boil with 1L of extract & 90gms of Saaz & the balance of extract in at 15 mins.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back