Weyermann Liquid Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're also un-hopped! You'd hope they would be pretty good :)

Brewers Coop in Auckland have a couple of em for only $40-$45NZD, but postage would probably make it a bit more expensive... And at a guess, id say the only reason Craft Brewer has them more expensive is cos of exchange rates, but the positive being that you know they just have to be fresh, not like the ones at Brewers Coop...

Apparantly it is really really good stuff tho! The Rauch one would be interesting!

Maybe Mike bought when the dollar was a lot stronger

or paid when the dollar was stronger,
or is pretending they "got done by the falling dollar"

Grain & Grape had this a couple of years back but stopped selling it, dunno what their reasons were.

I remember seeing it at a extract brewing demo day.

Seen the Weyermann extract at the local (ish) brew shop as well, it's expensive there too, really don't know why anyone would extract brew. It's big in the states, maybe they're getting it a fair bit cheaper over there ?

Yes, they are a bit on the pricey level compared to grain, but for the extract brewer they give a quality of malt (many decoction mashed) not generally available here & at not much of a premium against the local product. If it wasn't for the dollar fall, prices would have been the same, if not cheaper that the local extract.
We got them in, as we've been continually asked for them - We'll just see how they go :)

cheers Ross

I got shitcanned by people here when i suggested using 8% melanoidin in a beer that wasnt decoction mashed.

The wey munich october beer contains 25% melandoidin AND is decoction mashed..........................

Yes, they are a bit on the pricey level compared to grain, but for the extract brewer they give a quality of malt (many decoction mashed) not generally available here & at not much of a premium against the local product. If it wasn't for the dollar fall, prices would have been the same, if not cheaper that the local extract.
We got them in, as we've been continually asked for them - We'll just see how they go :)

cheers Ross

Well, I'm about to find out how good it is (or not depending on what I manage to screw up). Just sent through an order. This will be the beer that pops my brewing cherry. Was holding out to go all grain first up, but I figure I'll never get the time to build my system, and therefore never brew a beer if I don't get my finger out and get started. If I am going to use extract, it might as well be the good stuff!

Combining with 2008 Hallertau hops and WLP3068 yeast to make a classic Hefe (along the lines of my favourite - Weihenstephaner).

Wish me luck!

Luck well and truly wished!

We seem to be getting a bit of a hardcore brewing section going here in the former Caboolture Shire, a coldie or three may be the go at some stage in the not too distant future when we have some stock built up. :icon_cheers:

Cheers
Michael (at Bellara)

PS, post recipe if you like and keep us posted anyway.

Luck well and truly wished!

We seem to be getting a bit of a hardcore brewing section going here in the former Caboolture Shire, a coldie or three may be the go at some stage in the not too distant future when we have some stock built up. :icon_cheers:

Cheers
Michael (at Bellara)

PS, post recipe if you like and keep us posted anyway.

Thanks! Sounds like a plan in a couple of months once the stockpile is underway. My problem at the moment is that I am hardcore on the theoretical side, but no practical experience.

Recipe is pretty simple, from Brewing Classic Styles, pp 192 (JZ and Palmer):

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012
IBU: 13
Boil: 60 mins
Volume (pre-boil): 26.5L
Gravity (pre-boil): 1.043

Extract:
Wheat LME (i.e. the Weyermanns): 3.9kg (100%)

Hops:
Hallertau 60min (recipe calls for 4%AA, using 4.6%) 23g

Yeast:
Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan, baby!!)

Making 2L starter from a single smack pack. Fermenting at 17C.

Given the simplicity of the malt and hops, this will be all about the fermentation (nothing to hide behind), which is what I am aiming to get right first

Keep us posted how it turns out!

Well I just drew my first sample from the fermenter (fermentation started late Monday night), and all I can say is "wow". Mind you, this is my first ever brew and I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

Sample was drawn from close to the bottom of the fermenter so it had a fair amount of suspended yeast chunks, however allowing for that it has attenuated quite well and tastes very much like a Bavarian Hefe should. No extract twang at all that I could notice. Can't wait to try it carbonated after it has had further time to settle and mature.

I was a little worried that it would be too sweet as the evaporation rate of the kettle was a little higher that I thought and I think it started a bit too high. One of my lessons learnt is to have my target gravities converted to the scale on my Refractometer before starting to brew so I can confidently make the necessary adjustments before commencing whirlpool/chill. Target OG was 12.4 Plato (1.050), measured was 14 Brix. Unfortunately there are a few Plato to Brix calculators about, but none of them seem to agree, giving me possible OG between 1.052 and 1.057. Anyway, it's all moot - the beer appears to be reasonably dry, and still has about 10% more attenuation to go.

Many many thanks to Ross (CraftBrewer) for taking the risk and carrying this extract. And yet another testimonial for the great service and ingredient quality he provides. My order arrived next day, and the yeast was dated December 08, so it had not been on his shelf for long at all!

Will put more details about my first batch in a separate post.

Latest posts

Back