Wet Hops In A Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benken25

Reaction score
Its starting to look like some of my hop flowers are just about ready to be picked if we get a few dry days. what would be the best way to use the wet flowers in a brew the flowers are Vienna Gold(clusters i belive). My plan was to do a brew use clusters of POR for the bittering hop and maybe use 40 or so grams at 10min boil and wet hop with some in the keg. This is my first hop harvest and was after some advice is this a good way of using the wet hops or are there other options :icon_cheers:

Thanks in advance for the help

Its starting to look like some of my hop flowers are just about ready to be picked if we get a few dry days. what would be the best way to use the wet flowers in a brew the flowers are Vienna Gold(clusters i belive). My plan was to do a brew use clusters of POR for the bittering hop and maybe use 40 or so grams at 10min boil and wet hop with some in the keg. This is my first hop harvest and was after some advice is this a good way of using the wet hops or are there other options :icon_cheers:

Thanks in advance for the help

I think the general consensus is to use them late unless you are certain of their bitterness. And use about 8 times the weight of dry hops

I think the general consensus is to use them late unless you are certain of their bitterness. And use about 8 times the weight of dry hops

Thanks for the help im not sure how much i will get there is about 30 good size cones so far and more still forming so if im lucky i might get a second harvest

Go the IPA and fill the barrel with wet hops. My first year growing and that's what I'm planning. I have a huge harvest coming up. :beer:

I thought the ration of wet to dry weight was closer to 4:1. I have had several harvests this year, picked put in a freezer bag and frozen. I plan to use them all un dried in a hop back for aroma only. Last year I did an IPA with home grown POR and cascade using a conservative IBU figure and turned out great. Just take good notes so you know if adjustments are needed next year.

Tbh I pulled that number out of my clacker, but was alluding to the point that you would need to use more wet hops than you would dry

After some poking about it seems that 4 or 5 times the dry amount is more like it. I read that commercially they are dried to about 80%

most reading states 20% more (or was dried flowers to pellets) but i will leave it tomore experience brewers to comment

Wet hops should be slightly stronger than the drying ratio would suggest due to the fact that some flavour components would be lost during the drying process.

I've kept records of wet and dry for all my hops for the past few seasons.

They seem to be quite consistent for a given variety each season but differ between varieties.

My numbers indicate between 15-30% of original weight after drying but that will depend on how early you pick them as to how much moisture they still have.

Like working out the AA% it's a suck it and see experiment :icon_cheers:

Has anyone used fresh hops to dry hop?

Ive thought about it, but don't want to inoculate my fermenting beer with other yeast and bacteria.. I figured they'd be covered in all sorts of native florae. Anyone had any issues? My cascade hops are approaching maturity, but I don't have enough or bittering or even late boil additions.

Have a mash on at the moment. Trying to see if it would be OK to use wet hops in a no chill cube? They would be diced up in a hopsock.

Back