Westgate Stout Extravaganza 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ferg,

Can I just clarify the closing date. The entry form says Friday 28th (tomorrow), but you previously stated Saturday 29th. The guy at Greensborough HBS thought it was Friday.

I can drop it off on Friday, but Saturday would suit better.

Thanks.

Damn. My stout is tasting good but won't be bottled until Saturday so I'm going to be too late.

See you there for judging I guess.

I got that all wrong, mine wont be ready till tuesday DOH

Gents ,
The close of is Saturday.
I apologise for the confusion.
Our newsletter editor has resigned mid advertising and really put everything into the proverbial . Close of entries is Saturdy ....
That is to say , tomorrow.....
Ferg

The comp starts around 1pm
The kitchen is open from midday...
Cheers
Ferg

fergthebrewer said:
Pratty,
I can confirm your entry is at the G and G...
Good luck !
Ferg
its my first stout and first comp entry since starting brewing. :ph34r:

Was inspired to brew this from my home town that has a water tower with oatmeal stout advertised on it, never really cared about that water tower until I started brewing....lol.

This beer has malted oats, instead of flaked.Back in the ealry 20's when they brewed, I doubt they had flaked oats. It is not as dark as most stouts but within the BJCP guidelines. Has a nice noble hop content, full bodied and finishes dry from the use of Irish Ale yeast. I left the roasted barley out and that meant no roasting character and also why its not as dark.

Overall i think its a quality stout, please let me know from an experienced brewer what you think of the beer and any feedback will be welcome.

Dan

Thanks Ferg. My first comp so no idea what goes on so it'll be a learning experience if nothing else!

Pratty1 said:
Overall i think its a quality stout, please let me know from an experienced brewer what you think of the beer and any feedback will be welcome.

Dan
Dan,
It will be blind tasted by the judges and they will provide feedback ( in line with the beer compared to the aabc style guidelines)which you will recieve a week or two after the comp , in the mail.
Cheers
Ferg

What time do these things normally run till? Cant make it early arvo but should be able to swing past at 5ish

jayahhdee said:
What time do these things normally run till? Cant make it early arvo but should be able to swing past at 5ish
G'day mate,
At this stage ,we have 55 entries , and with a 1pm start , we think we will be finished around 4 pm...having said that , we will still be there , no doubt at 5pm still packing up etc...we will also probably make it down to the bar , downstairs , for a celebratory beer....
Cheers
Ferg

Brewers,
Stout Extravaganza has been run and won !
Thanks fo to our sponsors ,Ellerslie Hops , Burbank homes , Mtn Goat and Beer and Brewer magazine.
We had good support from the other brew clubs yesterday and it was nice to see the other clubs supporting us with entries , as well as the independants ! We had 55 entries total , which we considered a managable and good number.
Bayside ran away with most of the awards and also took home best club.They are now the recipient of the Bill Mutton memorial trophy.
Barry Roberts from bayside judged on the day and also took home a swag of awards for himself and his club members.
Only Michael Bowron from Westgate placed.
Once again , thanks everyone for your support.
The results are here !
Regards
Ferg
Secretary
Westgate Brewers inc
View attachment StoutExtravaganzaresults2013.pdf

Thanks Ferg, and all involved at Westgate Brewers.

Really chuffed at the results, and looking forward to getting my feedback in a week or two.

When can we expect to receive the feedback from the competition?

Truman said:
When can we expect to receive the feedback from the competition?
Truman, Jethro may have yours at next weeks meeting. He had mine and a bunch of other BBC results.

WarmBeer said:
Truman, Jethro may have yours at next weeks meeting. He had mine and a bunch of other BBC results.
Ok cheers, will wait until then.

Latest posts

Back