Westgate Stout Extravaganza 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcmcg

I had lotsa barrels on the old AHB..
Reaction score
Brewers,
A quick heads up that once again Westgate will be running Stout Extravaganza at the start of July.
We will have again be having it at The Local , in Port Melbourne.
It is sunday July 7th, 2013
Categories will be as follows
Category:

10. Porter 11. Stout 12. StrongStout
The following beers are included
Imperial Stout ,Australian/Foreign Extra ,Classic Dry ,Irish Sweet Stout ,Oatmeal Stout,Brown Porter ,Robust Porter ,Baltic Porter

We will also be adding American stout to the list....in line with the AABC 2012 guidlines.

Please note that this year there will ne NO ENTRIES ON THE DAY.
Entry drop off points will be grain and Grape, Brewers Den ( Boronia) Greensborough Home Brewing
Entry forms to come, but we just wanted to give eveyone the heads up
First prize for each category will again be an Ellerslie Hop Pack.
There will also be a call for judges , in the not too distant future.

Cheers
Ferg
Secretary
Westgate

Anyone interested in judging , please email the club at [email protected]
That way I can forward it to the competition organiser.
Just a reminder
NO ENTRIES ON THE DAY
This is a change from previous years..we had 40 entries on the day last year and it severely stressed our data entry and required hasty setting up of extra judging tables.we wish to stop that from happening this year.
Cheers
Ferg

When is the cut-off for entries ?

Dan

Dan,
Usually it's a week before the competition...so that would be Saturday June 29th...I'd like to say that it's close of Business at said Brewshops...but i'd suggest having them in by midday on the 29th....
There will be some advirtising coming out soon , but we just wanted to get confirmation from Ellerslie , our major prize sponsor that they are sposoring us again...and they are...They have provided $600 worth of various hops for prizes !
Cheers
Ferg

Interstate entries Ferg?

If I have a milk stout that also has oatmeal in it, can I enter this as an oatmeal stout? Not sure what category a milk stout comes under.

Both will be in sweet stout.

You could enter a beer without oats or lactose in either sub- category - just depends under which guidelines you'd prefer to be judged.

In fact you could enter the same beer in both sub-cats to see what differences the judges pick up and how it fares under one compared with the other.

Truman said:
If I have a milk stout that also has oatmeal in it, can I enter this as an oatmeal stout? Not sure what category a milk stout comes under.
given the first post says aabc guidelines it might be an idea to read them....

And it was a long bloody day judging last year ferg. I agree no entries on the day.
2 maybe 3 entries for me so ill wait till I decide on wether to entrr them then let u know about judging.

Rowy said:
Interstate entries Ferg?
If any one is interested in entering from interstate , shoot me a pm and I'll shoot you an address where they can be sent..
Just gotta confirm it !
Cheers
Ferg

Anyone with an interstate entry , can send it to
The Grain& Grape
5/280 Whitehall street
Yarraville 3013 Vic
Please labley it clearly and have
"Stout Extravaganza"
on the front...
Cheers
Ferg

Any further details about this year's comp?

Prices per entry? Discount for subsequent entries past the first? Discount for club members?

Never mind, found it.

Competition Rules.
  1. A maximum of 2 entries will be accepted per Category, as long as they are separate styles. Entries must fit into the designated styles listed below.
  2. A minimum of 500ml is required per entry. If 2 bottles are required, they must be clearly marked as bottle 1 and 2 and preferably be taped together. Cost per entry is $6.00.
  3. Judging will be by blind tasting, assessed against the current 2012 style guidelines. Style guidelines are available at the www.vicbrew.org. Judges decisions are final.
  4. Any tied placing’s are decided on count-back using the following criteria, overall impression,flavour or smallest spread of scores.
  5. Prizes & medals are awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each category. Other awards are Best Club of Show and Best Novice, awarded to the highest score by a Victorian brewer who has not placed in a Vicbrew accredited competition.

Here is a bump for the entry form for Westgate's stout extravaganza...see the previous post
Cheers
Ferg

View attachment stoutentryform2013Final.pdf
Brewers,
We can now confirm that Beer and Brewer magazine will also be contributing to prizes for Stout Extravaganza, along with Mtn goat and 3Ravens .Just a reminder , there will be no entries accepted on the day.
And as usual, Ellerslie hops have contribeted the major hop prize packs....
Cheers
Ferg

Fellow brewers,
This Saturday is your last chance to enter your stouts for Westgate's Stout Extravaganza ,at the suggested drop off points.
For those that are able , we'd love you to come down to The Local in Port Melbourne , for a great day of competition.The kitchen opens from midday and there will also be some wonderful raffle prizes to be won .
We have $600 worth of hops , medals , Beer and Brewer magazine subcriptions , beer from Mtn Goat and more as prizes for the category winners and raffles , so its going to be big !
Cheers
Ferg

Sent mine to G&G yesterday from Nsw. Hope it arrives in time.

Latest posts

Back