Westgate Stout Extravaganza 2012

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yer as this is my first comp I would love to know how I went.

Finished judging. On way home via PT. Good comp. Now braving hordes of Comicon nuts!!

Congrats to Brendo with a 2Nd in strong stout.

Westgatebrewers. Club of show...
Biab brew smashed everyOne with a Baltic porter...
More results to follow....
Braden from Bayside best novice....

These events are great fun and give you a reason to try new things and styles. (I entered the first AG stout I have ever made into this event) :chug:

great day, well done everyone, congrats to all placegetters

I am looking forward to results though... how soon do they normally mail out the judging sheets?

I am looking forward to results though... how soon do they normally mail out the judging sheets?

should be up on Vicbrew website in the next day or so, i'd expect

Thanks for the day fellas.

Stoked with the Best Novice gong.

Cheers!

Results are up (remember to hit refresh).

I didn't do so well. Will eagerly await feedback but I have a feeling that I had a bottle conditioning fail after using gelatin in the secondary. It has been the case with a few bottles.

Congrats winners and thanks to Westgate for putting on the event.

Yes, did not do so well myself, but will wait for score sheet to see where I fell down.

From a Corio Bay Brewers perspective, congratulations to Alistair for placing reasonably well (6th) and congratulations to all Corio Bay Brewers for getting so many entries in, it is the best we have done in quite a while.

Special thanks to HoppinMad for making the journey down there and carrying our entries!!!

Well it was a massive competition...
78 entries...we ended up running 5 tables of judges...
Massive thanks to everyone who helped out on the day...
Massive thanks also to our sponsors...Ellerslie Hops , Grain and Grape , Temple Brewing , Mountain Goat , Beer & Brewer Magazine...
Porter was our largest categorie...

Really happy with my result considering it was the first comp I've entered.

On a side note, should I have mentioned it was a novice entry on the form or bottle?

Now to gear up and get a bunch of entries ready for VicBrew.

Enjoyed the day, happy with an equal third even though I got bumped to fourth on countback.

Agree with a lot of the judge's comments on my beers except for the suggestion that my robust would be too robust for a brown but not robust enough for robust. There's not really anywhere else I can go.

Still judging's a funny thing and I'm sure people have read some of the stuff I've written on score-sheets and thought "what the **** is he on about?"

No doubt there'll be some from this comp. We do our best.

Well organised from Westgate end, good looking prizes and cheers to Father Jack for being a good steward.

Enjoyed the day, happy with an equal third even though I got bumped to fourth on countback.

Agree with a lot of the judge's comments on my beers except for the suggestion that my robust would be too robust for a brown but not robust enough for robust. There's not really anywhere else I can go.

Still judging's a funny thing and I'm sure people have read some of the stuff I've written on score-sheets and thought "what the **** is he on about?"

No doubt there'll be some from this comp. We do our best.

Well organised from Westgate end, good looking prizes and cheers to Father Jack for being a good steward.
Thank's Manticle....
The prizes were only secured in the last 2 weeks of competiton...Ellerslie gave us $600 worth of hops, Grain and grape gave us 3 x $50 gift vouchers and Beer & Brewer magazine chipped in with 3 x 12 month subscriptions...and all winners got a medal....
So bloody glad we didn't advirtise the prizes...can you imagine the mad scramble if we had...78 entries was almost too much lol..still..next year we may try to run a sixth table lol
Thanks for your support
Ferg

Not as good as I'd hoped for. But the beers I entered were not made to the specific guide lines, so I am interested in the feedback I receive.

How long does the feedback usually take?

I would have grabbed yours as they were organised into club piles. However you haven't yet joined MB so yours were in a separate pile and I wasn't confident that there was only one person with your first name in the comp.

Depends on the comp - usually a couple of weeks, they'll be in the post but Westgate seem pretty on to it so maybe sooner.

I can arrange to get yours the Tuesday after this if they think it will be any later than that.

Think I judged one of yours - don't hate me for it.

Hahahahaha would never take offence! Like I said I didn't make the beers for this comp. I just had them on hand. But look out next year. I will be brewing some beers for this very purpose!

Back