Western Sydney Bottlo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
Hi all,
For all of you in Western Sydney, theres a botle shop at pitt town. My local, and the guy has some dead set ripper beer in there. I was just reading the belgian beer thread, and recognised a lot of names from beer he stocks there. He has magnums of all kinds of things. Even has some NT stubbies sitting there. If youre out towards windsor way. Maybe an afternoon at Thompsons corner with the family. Get some Windsor seafoods, some squires on tap at the Macquarie arms, and then head home through Pitt Town and get yourself some lovely beers for when you get home.

Well, we decided on lunch at St Albans today (one of the few Pubs that has Braidwood ESB on a handpump), so on the way stopped in at the Bottle Shop you reccommended.

I've spent my next 3 years beer allowance :blink: For a Bottlo in such a small place it was fantastic.

Let's see, got a case of the 1998 Coopers Vintage Ale, a case of the 1999 and a case of the 2002. This will nicely complement the case of 2004 I have stashed away in what passes for a cellar at my place.

Also some real Berlinner Weiss, something I've been wanting to try,
and a Deus,
Hahn Millenium Ale,
Kwak 4 pack complete with Glass
Konig Weissbier,Weltenburger Dunkel & Bock,Schlenkerla Rauchbier and a Scotch Ale (from Belgium :blink:)
oh, and a Chocolate Vodka and some Tripel Kammeliet for the lunch partner.

The guy who runs it is very knowledgable and really seems to enjoy that part of the business. More importantly, he was happy to talk beer for about an hour with me whilst he served his other Customers. Well worth the drive, it took me close to 90 mins to get there.

[Standard Disclaimer]...[/Standard Disclaimer]

Oh, and both Lunch and the ESB were great too :p

Trev

Trev, youre a *******. I thought id be able to get down there and get some of the vintage before he sold out, rang up and tried to get him to put some away for me the other day, and he was pretty much wondering what i was on about as it obviously isnt ove of his biggest sellers. And youve shot out here and picked them all up. Guess ill have to setlle for the little he has left now.

Can't wait for the water ski season to kick off!
I ski with friends from the ski park on Pittown Bottoms Rd so the pub's about 90 sec's drive from the park.
I'll have a hard time convincing my mates to try some of the beer though as they're all hooked on that Pure Blonde rubbish. <_<
Might as well be drinking lightly flavoured water!
Oh well, more for me I guess! :beerbang:

Berto, he still has a couple of cartons of each left :p

It seems he got it in, and put it away for a while. The guy is just great. he has a real love for it all.

I would've bought the lot, but then I wanted to leave some for everybody else. :)

Trev

After reading this thread I decided to take a little drive out to Pitt Town and check out this shop which is called, as it turns out, Pitt Town Cellars. As Trev noted, for such a small shop in a small town it has a very good range of beers (and wines and spirits). I picked up a Belgian wit, Blanche de Neiges; Altenmunster Bavarian (lager?) and Franz Joseph Jubelbier(?) and a Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock. I hadn't heard of any of these, so I thought I'd give them a try.

The shop owner is a very friendly fellow and was only too happy to chat about beers for ages.

If you're in the neighbourhood, I'd suggest you check it out.

No affiliation....blah blah.

BTW, he still has some Coopers Vintage Ale.

Busboy,

Did you notice if he had any Kolsch or Saison's ?

Doc

I've been out there a few times and picked up some good brews to try.

I don't recall seeing any Saison's or Koelsch though.

Plenty of Belgian's and English Ales! Had a few of the Braidwood beers too

Doc,

No Saisons or Kolsch :(

I asked him about them.

The closest I got to a Saison was another style made by the Belgium Silly brewery - their Scotch Ale (go figure, a Scotch Ale made in Belgium). Just had it tonight too, and it was lovely.

The Braidwood beers are a bit suspect, even Albert the Proprietor is worried. They are all quite old now and by and large well past it, although I did bring back two complementary bottles of the Best Bitter.

Trev

Yes, he gave me one of those Braidwood Best Bitters too. He told me that is was waay over-carbonated, but the beer was lovely. And he was spot on. I had it last night and, even though it was well chilled, when I opened it, the beer fizzed up dramatically. I poured the beer into a 500ml weizen glass slowly, and it still fizzed up. The beer really had a lovely flavour though. Malty with a dry finish. Lots of fruity esters.

Yes, he gave me one of those Braidwood Best Bitters too. He told me that is was waay over-carbonated, but the beer was lovely. And he was spot on. I had it last night and, even though it was well chilled, when I opened it, the beer fizzed up dramatically. I poured the beer into a 500ml weizen glass slowly, and it still fizzed up. The beer really had a lovely flavour though. Malty with a dry finish. Lots of fruity esters.

I had exactly the same experience. The Best Bitter was way over carbonated and took a while to settle in the glass................except I had to pay for mine :angry:

Edit: Still thought it was a good tasting brew though

Sorry to bring up an old thread. However, there had been some talk about Pitt Town Cellars maybe a month back and having being impressed with their selection approximately 9 months ago, ventured to that part of the world again for an excellent local bottlo experience.
Unfortunately most of the stock that had been there 9 months ago was still there, marked down (due to its expiry). Apparently the pub adjacent to the shop had undergone new ownership and perhaps the selection had suffered due to this. Or perhaps there is just no market for different beers in this location.
I would say there is still a much better range here than the run of the mill local bottlo, however would just like to point out to those still to venture to pitt town, the range has definitely decreased :(

Sorry to bring up an old thread. However, there had been some talk about Pitt Town Cellars maybe a month back and having being impressed with their selection approximately 9 months ago, ventured to that part of the world again for an excellent local bottlo experience.
Unfortunately most of the stock that had been there 9 months ago was still there, marked down (due to its expiry). Apparently the pub adjacent to the shop had undergone new ownership and perhaps the selection had suffered due to this. Or perhaps there is just no market for different beers in this location.
I would say there is still a much better range here than the run of the mill local bottlo, however would just like to point out to those still to venture to pitt town, the range has definitely decreased :(

It was up for sale so I'm guessing it finally went and the new owners may be running it more along the lines of a conventional bottle shop. Sad to see really but understandable to a degree in a town like this.

Back