West Coast Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat

NULL
Reaction score
Just a quick reminder to everyone in Perth....

The West Coast Brewers meeting is on tonight at the Rivervale Community Centre, corner of Francisco St. & Surrey Rd., Rivervale. 7:30.

Barring any unforseen circumstances I will be there.

I'm going to try to make it along tonight. Depends what time I get off work though.

Remember.... bring a glass
...and a sample of your latest efforts if youve got any handy...
If you dont I'll have plenty.

If you feel its a bit forward to rock up with a glass at the first meeting.. just do what I did.... bring the smallest one you've got.....

Asher for now

Apologies for bringing up a really ancient thread.

Is the WCB monthly meeting at the same venue and time, tomorrow ( monday 13/6/05) I think.

its definetly on monday.not sure of the venue and time though vlad

Hi Vlad

There is a meeting tomorrow night, Rivervale Community Centre, cnr Francisco St and Surrey Rd, Rivervale, 7:30 pm. I'll be there, I imagine Asher will and probably a couple of other AHBers. Its a competition night, any light coloured ale, APA or English Bitter. If you want to enter, bring about 1L of the beer, also remember to bring a glass. The club is pretty flexible about non-members, you can attend a fair few meetings as a guest. Its only if you start participating in the group buys they prod you to join up.

I'll be there....
have I got a rauch beer for you to try GL!!!.....

Asher for now

Hope its a good one fellas, I have done a few laps of Perth driving about today so I don't think I will make the journey tonight.

Well for once I'm not at work tonight, but that's due to me being sick as a dog. I'd love to come along, but a wheezing, hacking mess in the corner might put you off your ale.

Have a great night, and I'll try to get there in future.

correct me if im wrong guys.2nd monday of the month is the meet .if so i hope to get to the july meet.

cheers
big d

Hows this...

A 'ring-in' rocks up at WestCoast Brewers and wins the club comp!!!

..... Well done Vlad :beer:

Things would have been different if I wasn't so busy organising the comp.... and actually remembered to bring my entry :rolleyes:

I've attached a pfd of the scores

View attachment 2005_Pale_er__Ales_Comp.pdf

Asher for now.....

Yeah well done Vlad you live up to your name!!

Sorry you all had to taste my entry but feedback would be appreciated please. It was fermented at around 18-20C for about 9 days I noticed the yeast had dropped out after about 5 days (Safale 04). Racked to secondary at 1:010 and secondaried for a week at Perth ambient ~15-18C in my shed and had 2 days in the keg. All transfers were done with a bit of CO2 into the top of each vessel.

The funny thing is I couldn't pick what the diacetyl was when I bottled it (I had never really smelled it before) so it was a learning experience anyway, I can definately smell the diacetyl now as I drink a pint!!

ausdb

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
Beginners luck I'm sure.

Now whats this Mash Paddle thingy all aboot?

:D
[post="63484"][/post]​

Well Vladdy, seeing as you asked!

The mash paddle may be a bit out of style for this particular brew, but I reckon it could find a place in the American Pale Ale section of ANAWBS :D

And the rest of you guys, with all those English Bitters, Scottish Ales, and Belgians -I reckon we should be looking forward to a record WA entry into this years ANAWBS :)

Mind you Vlad, I am sure you have another beer already cranked up for the paddle.

awrabest, stu

ausdb said:
Yeah well done Vlad you live up to your name!!

Sorry you all had to taste my entry but feedback would be appreciated please. It was fermented at around 18-20C for about 9 days I noticed the yeast had dropped out after about 5 days (Safale 04). Racked to secondary at 1:010 and secondaried for a week at Perth ambient ~15-18C in my shed and had 2 days in the keg. All transfers were done with a bit of CO2 into the top of each vessel.

The funny thing is I couldn't pick what the diacetyl was when I bottled it (I had never really smelled it before) so it was a learning experience anyway, I can definately smell the diacetyl now as I drink a pint!!

ausdb
[post="63496"][/post]​

Hi Darryn

Lincoln loves the taste of diacetyl, if he had been there your score would have been much higher.

Was the beer bottle conditioned or filled from the keg?

I think the most likely source of diacetyl in an English Bitter is the yeast not cleaning up its fermentation byproducts after itself. Sounds like you probably left it on the yeast in primary long enough for the yeast to in theory do the cleaning up. But a lot of those ale yeasts are quite flocculant, and it is worth stirring the yeast up at the end of primary to be sure that enough active yeast is around to eat the diacetyl or its precursor chemical which I cant remember right now. 1968 is supposed to be bad for that although I found 1099 to be worse.

There was also some discussion on HBD a while ago about beer with zero diacetyl suddenly generating some after being CPBFd into a bottle. I recall someone posted a possible chemical progression that could do that.

But my money would be on a stir at the end of primary.

If it is tasting strong in the keg you could warm the keg up, whack a goodly amount of active yeast in, and I reckon it would get rid of some diacetyl for you. I think JasonY had some success doing that recently.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Darryn

Yeast doesn't actually produce diacetyl... Yeast produces alpha-acetolactic acid, which oxidises to diacetyl over time. This is why when racking to the keg the diacetyl wasn't noticable, but the added oxidation this process (and CPBFd as well) added produced the diacetyl and thus the butterscotch flavour.....

Healthy yeast will absorb diacetyl. So adding fresh yeast to the keg will work.

Safale is highly flocculent, so either rouse as GL sugested or draw some yeast through to the secondary when racking....

Asher for now...

Thanks Asher & GL

It was CPBF'd so I will try a bit out of the keg tonight after work and see if it is any better. The safale 04 is supposed to be the same as the 1099 whitbread strain so I guess there is some of my problem as well.

I have about 4 litres left which I was going to bottle, I am thinking of pitching a small starter into that then splitting that and bad keg into two other kegs and leaving for a few days.

I will save a bottle for Goat!!

Thanks ausdb

Guest Lurker said:
I think JasonY had some success doing that recently.

Darryn, I had a bitter come out buttery and I decided to chuck part of a starter for a lager I had going into the keg (munich lager), I left the keg out of the fridge for about 4 days and rechilled it. Came out much more palletable, it did lose some of its ale characteristics from the lager yeast but it was much tastier in any event.

Back